T Nation

Lovin' Those Box Squats

I have recently started doing front box squats to help me get my form down right. I always have a problem with being on my toes while I squat.

I started doing box squats and instantly my form is 100% better. I am always on my midfoot or heel and my back feels way better. My front squat weight went up too. Dont laugh here…but I used to only do 225lb for 3 sets of 6 and now can handle 255 for 3 sets of 6 quite easily.

Now before everyone makes fun of me too much, ya gotta remember these are front squats and I have a bum knee from ACL surgery so I am pretty happy with these numbers. They are at least approaching an acceptable range. Just thought I would share about the box squats so incase there is someone else struggling with their squat form, they might want to try these.

[quote]boss99er wrote:
I have recently started doing front box squats to help me get my form down right. I always have a problem with being on my toes while I squat.

I started doing box squats and instantly my form is 100% better. I am always on my midfoot or heel and my back feels way better. My front squat weight went up too. Dont laugh here…but I used to only do 225lb for 3 sets of 6 and now can handle 255 for 3 sets of 6 quite easily.

Now before everyone makes fun of me too much, ya gotta remember these are front squats and I have a bum knee from ACL surgery so I am pretty happy with these numbers. They are at least approaching an acceptable range. Just thought I would share about the box squats so incase there is someone else struggling with their squat form, they might want to try these.[/quote]

Another thing that might help you is to just concentrate on moving your hips back, instead of bending your knees. Most people try to squat with their knees, but they should be squatting with their hips.

I think that is why the box squats have helped so much. I just imagine I am going to sit on the box, and it automatically forces me to squat with my hips. I put feet so the backs of them are touching the box, and just sit down on it. I read somewhere not to put weight on the box, because it can relax your stabilizers and that is BAD NEWS. I just come down until I touch it, and then explode back up.

[quote]boss99er wrote:
I think that is why the box squats have helped so much. I just imagine I am going to sit on the box, and it automatically forces me to squat with my hips. I put feet so the backs of them are touching the box, and just sit down on it. I read somewhere not to put weight on the box, because it can relax your stabilizers and that is BAD NEWS. I just come down until I touch it, and then explode back up. [/quote]

EliteFTS programs always call for pausing 2 seconds on the box to avoid bouncing (among other things), actually. Don’t rock on the box, though.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=4092&tid=102

Also, spreading my knees wide seems to take a lot of pressure off of my knees and transfers the load to my hips – you may find it helpful if you aren’t already doing it.

Hope this is helpful.

SDSpeedracer - I see their point, to eliminate bouncing, but there is NO way I am bouncing. I barely let my ass touch it and I am pushing back up. I read somewhere on this site that you shouldnt actually pause on the box though. I’ll see if I can find it.

They said if you do that, your body naturally and without thinking about it relaxes some important stabilizer muscles…not something you want to do when you have ANY load on your back like that. Not saying you…or the folks at elitefts are wrong. Anyone else have input on this???

[quote]boss99er wrote:

Now before everyone makes fun of me too much, ya gotta remember these are front squats and I have a bum knee from ACL surgery so I am pretty happy with these numbers. They are at least approaching an acceptable range. Just thought I would share about the box squats so incase there is someone else struggling with their squat form, they might want to try these.[/quote]

Anybody who’d make fun of you for those weights are an asshole. I’d say that’s damn impressive.

Ha ha, well, I just didnt want to come across as trying to brag about how much I can do when there are PLENTY of guys on here that do much much more.

box squats have been very beneficial to my son who had a revision some 7 months ago
he just started doing them with his athletic trainer for form and explosiveness to increase his time for his 40 and vertical… will keep you posted on his progress
he had his first session yesterday and was felt it this morning…

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Anybody who’d make fun of you for those weights are an asshole.
[/quote]

Anybody that makes fun of someones weights at all is an asshole for trying to discourage someone from trying to train. Everyone is obese these days, and the way I see it, we only have a select few people joing the Iron Brotherhood. We need to keep as many people around as we can.

Those F. Sqt. numbers aren’t bad at all. Especially since if you actually DO see someone doing them, they are using a max of 135.

255 x 6 is not bad at all. 315 is right around the corner…keep working that box sqt.

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
Those F. Sqt. numbers aren’t bad at all. Especially since if you actually DO see someone doing them, they are using a max of 135.

255 x 6 is not bad at all. 315 is right around the corner…keep working that box sqt.[/quote]

Hey thanks guys!!! I’m feeling pretty good about my progress. This is the kind of encouragement I need to keep pushing. Ha ha, 315 seems to be a little further than “around the corner though.” I have to get my mind around that number first before my body can squat it. Its all a mental thing.