So now that Gwen Stphani song makes sense…I thought the whole time she was saying “I ain’t no Harlem Black Girl”.
Strangely enough, ‘HOLLA’ and ‘Holla-back girl’ mean somewhat unintuitive things.
- A word used to acknowledge the presence of a fellow companion
- For a man to express interest in a particularly impressive female specimen
- To contact via telephone
1. Is that mah boy ova there? HOLLAAAAA!
2. Watch out, I’m bout to holla at this fine bitch.
3. Boy, it was absolutely magnificent to see you again. Holla at me this evening, we can have tea and crumpets.
HOLLA BACK GIRL
A girl that is willing to be treated like a doormat or booty call. She is a girl that will allow guys to do whatever they want with her and will just wait for them to ‘holla back’ at them.
Jermaine fools around with Aisha. Thinking he likes her, she waits around for him to make contact with her again.
Gwen Stefani’s use:
A person who verbally postures (hollers back) in an argument and does not step up and fight. Gwen says she is not a holla back girl, implying that she will fight if challenged.
I ain’t no holla back girl.
Although that explanation helps and clears it up for me, it doesn’t make that song any less terrible.[/quote]
That is just bananas! B-A-N-A-N-A-S.