Love Handles

I started working on my 44 year old love handles 2 1/2 years ago. Growing up with extremely low body fat I thought it would be 3 to 6 mos.

Well, I’m running 3 miles (6.3 to 7.5 on the tread) + 20 minutes of cardio 2 times per week and riding bike 6 miles (pushing to my limits) plus run 1 mile + 20 minutes of cardio another 2 times per week. Total of about 4 hours cardio.

I lift weights and am somewhat strong in that area. I work abs extensively 2 times per week.

I also have a high protein, low carb diet. Very careful to not eat “junk” food etc.

Well, love handles have barely moved. Same basic shape as over 2 years ago.

I can truly sympathize, for I too suffer from the battle of the bulge (the side bulge that is). In my humble opinion, it all boils down to total body fat. Unfortunately, we can’t dictate where our bodies choose to store this menace, and in what order. And if you’re like me, this is the first place it’s stored, and the last place it comes off.

My suggestion would be to hit the cardio hard, about 5hrs a week, increase your intensity, and keep up with the diet. It sounds like you’ve done pretty well already, losing 40lbs in 3 months is outstanding. So give yourself credit and keep up the good work.

Thinking in a logical way…if increased fat storage in the abdominal region is directly correlated with insulin, why don’t use a insulin “management” nutrition?

I’ve experimented with some ideas with some results…elimination of high GI and/or II food for most of the day, low carbs high protein, use of vinegar, warrior diet, tea etc.

Nothing scientific…but the basic premise is to lower overall insulin, reduction of the spikes and increasing sensitivity.

It is good to see that other, otherwise fit men, struggle with this problem. It is also nice to see concerned, intelligent responses. Thanks.

I have struggled with this also. My love handles look like birth defects! However I have made some progress in the last year - since I started reading T-Nation. And this is since I’m older, I turn 40 in December.

I previously did endurance training (Ironman distance triathlons) and ate high carb. Even when I was down in body weight (160 lb), I still had love handles. I agree with what I have learned from this site: that excessive cardio is a trap - you lose muscle as well as fat.

Now I’m about 195 lbs and my love handles are smaller than ever. The only way to reduce the love handles is to increase muscle AND lose fat. Something that too much cardio will PREVENT. I’m trying hard with weight training, limited cardio, and a healthy, high-protein diet. I have also pretty much totally eliminated high fructose corn syrup and trans-fats, which seems to have made a big difference.

I am actually having fairly good luck using Berardi’s P+f and P+C, never C+F method. I notice when I really stick to it the handles start to melt away…then i get off track. I work at a restaraunt so its easy to steal a kids ice cream cone every now and then.

It is frustrating though to start seeing my six-pack come in but still have that sh!t hanging off my sides

One more thought! Here’s a three week program called “Fat to Fire”. I tried it and did get some results. Be warned, it’s intense!

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459312

Good Luck!

Try to build a huge back, then your lovehandles will look smaller.

I’ve the same problem, when dieting the lovehandles are the last to go and the first to come back when I gain a few pounds back.

It sux, liposuction is the only way to spotreduce, unfortunately.

You can also try a few exercises, like hanging leg raises, side bends (i dunno if thats what you call them) and decline sit ups with a twist ie situps on a decline and while you go up you twist your torso so that your right elbow goes to your left knee and your left elbow goes to your right knee. Other than that a solid nutrition and heavy weightlifting should help, I have been doing mainly compound movements and it seems to help with overall muscular development. The more muscle you have the more fat burning that occurs, thats the way I see it, though I am younger than you, so I cant talk as of yet, but keep working hard and good luck with everything!