Love for Squats Comes and Goes

its the equivalent of power lifters who only bench. their great at it, but are they really power lifters if they don’t do all 3?

I don’t quite understand how that analogy fits.

Guys who are purist who have a HUGE bench or squat or DL, but modest numbers in the other two will do them just to keep their ideas of results in tact even when they despise them

If they are meeting their goals, it sounds like that is the right way for them to train.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
Perhaps I worded that wrong, but what I meant was that the way the whole body grows from doing squats and their variations, it would be insane not to do them simply because I don’t feel like it.[/quote]

I’m not convinced that the whole body does grow from squats…[/quote]

I’m not sure how much hypertrophy(of the whole body) could be achieved from regularly doing heavy squats. I think it’s more realistic to assume an increase in strength/stability. The heavy loading would help with farmers walks and things like that, but I would be surprised if squats directly lead to growth in the back, shoulders, chest, etc. [/quote]

My thoughts have always been that if you have a program that targets your entire body that includes heavy squats, your entire body will experience more growth than a program that targets the entire body without heavy squats.

Let’s look at the old school 20 rep squat program. Say, you did that program and gained 10lbs on it. Everywhere got bigger, arms, chest, back, and legs etc.

A 20 rep leg press program that has everything else the same the only difference is you swapped squats with leg press, I don’t believe your body would respond the same way. IE full body growth from heavy high rep squats.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
im to the point that i have no desire to perform[/quote]
If you don’t want to squat, don’t squat. Fine, whatever. Unless you compete in powerlifting, like Pwnisher was saying, there’s nobody who has to squat. It’s a good and useful exercise, but there are options.

.[/quote]

I have to disagree with this. If you have a medical, or physical condition that makes squatting a high risk for injury or other complications, then yes find alternatives.

That’s it. Otherwise I believe you should be squatting. It’s like eating your vegetables some people don’t like it, but everyone should eat their vegetables. Everyone that doesn’t have a condition should be lifting weights to some extent, and everyone who is lifting weights should be squatting.

Maybe a person reaches an age when putting weight on their back and squatting it is not a great idea? At that age they should be doing body weight squats. And if a person is squatting throughout their life, the age at which they have to do body weight squats is going to be a lot higher than the person who doesn’t. There are exceptions to every rule, injuries, pushing past what your body is capable of, but as a general rule.

The two weightlifting exercises at the top are squats and deadlift. If you are going to the gym( in your home or membership) you should be doing those two exercises.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
This concept of liking and disliking movements baffles me.[/quote]
Are you Vulcan by any chance?

This concept of liking and disliking movements baffles me. I just want to get bigger and stronger. If that takes a shakeweight, it’s what I will do.

I love results, and I tolerate training to get them.[/quote]

I tend to agree with you. I don’t understand people getting “bored” with this program or that lift… if it’s working, how could you get bored? Do people really go to the gym to be entertained?

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

Are you Vulcan by any chance? [/quote]

He’s not skinny enough. However, I get what you mean. Punisher’s a very logical person.

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
If you don’t want to squat, don’t squat. Fine, whatever. Unless you compete in powerlifting, like Pwnisher was saying, there’s nobody who has to squat. It’s a good and useful exercise, but there are options.

.[/quote]

I have to disagree with this. If you have a medical, or physical condition that makes squatting a high risk for injury or other complications, then yes find alternatives.

That’s it. Otherwise I believe you should be squatting. It’s like eating your vegetables some people don’t like it, but everyone should eat their vegetables. Everyone that doesn’t have a condition should be lifting weights to some extent, and everyone who is lifting weights should be squatting.

Maybe a person reaches an age when putting weight on their back and squatting it is not a great idea? At that age they should be doing body weight squats. And if a person is squatting throughout their life, the age at which they have to do body weight squats is going to be a lot higher than the person who doesn’t. There are exceptions to every rule, injuries, pushing past what your body is capable of, but as a general rule.

The two weightlifting exercises at the top are squats and deadlift. If you are going to the gym( in your home or membership) you should be doing those two exercises.[/quote]

Can you give a concise reason why you feel every able bodied person should be back squatting and deadlifting? What benefits do you feel these exercises give that cannot be obtained any other way?

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

He’s not skinny enough. However, I get what you mean. Punisher’s a very logical person.[/quote]

This is how he really trains his grip.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

Can you give a concise reason why you feel every able bodied person should be back squatting and deadlifting? What benefits do you feel these exercises give that cannot be obtained any other way?[/quote]

Pretty sure it’s because they have so much bang for your buck. Look at the deadlift. It uses something like 60% of the muscles in your body? That’s a shitload of muscle being stimulated from ONE exercise.

But you don’t have to do them. But I will for the massive amounts of hypertrophy and strength.

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
its the equivalent of power lifters who only bench. their great at it, but are they really power lifters if they don’t do all 3?[/quote]

Who gives a shit. Why do you feel the need to fit under a label just because it exists?

What is your reason for training? To achieve results or to qualify to be called a powerlifter?

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Realistically, I think it’s my background. Lifting has always been a means for me, not and end.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

Realistically, I think it’s my background. Lifting has always been a means for me, not and end.[/quote]
I’m just having some fun.

I have been accused of being overly analytical myself (for a female). But I often think of you as very Vulcan-esque when I read your posts.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

Realistically, I think it’s my background. Lifting has always been a means for me, not and end.[/quote]
I’m just having some fun.

I have been accused of being overly analytical myself (for a female). But I often think of you as very Vulcan-esque when I read your posts. [/quote]

Yeah, I threw in the 5th element reference to keep the sci-fi theme going, haha.

For me, lifting is a huge source of pleasure in my life. My goals are PLing related. But I don’t have any innate talent so I just try to enjoy the experience and not let frustration take over. I’m only marginally successful with that. Squatting is right up there as one of my favorite things to do. I love the movement. Feel really dialed in.

And get a great endorphin rush when the training’s going well and I can move some serious (relative term) weight. I have a love/hate relationship with DLing and probably feel about benching as T3hPwnisher does about all training. It’s just something to get done to get closer to meeting goals. But overall, I’m very emotional about lifting.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:

.[/quote]

The two weightlifting exercises at the top are squats and deadlift. If you are going to the gym( in your home or membership) you should be doing those two exercises.[/quote]

Can you give a concise reason why you feel every able bodied person should be back squatting and deadlifting? What benefits do you feel these exercises give that cannot be obtained any other way?[/quote]

The benefits of squats over other exercises that target lower body muscles?

You can train muscles with multiple exercises that target the same areas that the squat does in one movement, but (1) when targeting those muscles in one functional movement (squat) you naturally release muscle building hormones and endorphins into your body. As well as having your entire body working in unison to get the weight BACK UP!

(2) Squats help to prevent injuries. When doing squats you are targeting every muscle of the lower body in unison and strengthening those muscles and the tendons around the joints of the lower body.

(3) Squats help in performance by increasing lower body strength, power, and speed allowing you to run faster and increase your jumping ability.

(4) Full ROM squats help with mobility and flexibility.

I’ll get to deadlifts in a little bit

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:

.[/quote]

You can train muscles with multiple exercises that target the same areas that the squat does in one movement, but (1) when targeting those muscles in one functional movement (squat) you naturally release muscle building hormones and endorphins into your body. As well as having your entire body working in unison to get the weight BACK UP!

(2) Squats help to prevent injuries. When doing squats you are targeting every muscle of the lower body in unison and strengthening those muscles and the tendons around the joints of the lower body.

(3) Squats help in performance by increasing lower body strength, power, and speed allowing you to run faster and increase your jumping ability.

I’ll get to deadlifts in a little bit[/quote]

What if one does not have any of these goals?

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:

.[/quote]

I’ll get to deadlifts in a little bit[/quote]

What if one does not have any of these goals?
[/quote]

That’s hard for me to answer. I guess I can approach that question like this?

If that person was a family member, friend, loved one, or client I would cater my approach in how I try to encourage them to see the reason why it would be a good idea to take advantage of those benefits. If it is someone that is stuck in their ways and I don’t have any vested interest in them and not just posting my opinions about a topic on the internet I would not give a fuck.