Louis Awerbuck, R.I.P

For those who have not heard Louis Awerbuck died June 24.

I know him only from his writings, and from his reputation as one of the truly great teachers of firearms use, mindset, self defense, and dealing with violence. He was well known for emphasis on problem solving and THINKING. Many have remarked about his ability to diagnose errors and teach solutions in students techniques seemingly effortlessly. He is known for being both jovial, and dead serious about killing folks who need it, and teaching others to do same. BIO from his training company website: www.yfainc.com

Reports seem to indicate that he took his own life after longstanding health issues, and that he had a doctor’s appointment just prior to his death.

Some brief video for those interested.

Mindset:

R.I.P. Yoda

Regards,

Robert A

Robert,
Thank you for posting this. I was very fortunate to attend a training class from Mr. Awerbuck. He was a true master of his craft and in my opinion, one of the founding giants of modern gunfighting. His “kill house” class was an exercise in mental tactics and skill. One of his most enduring qualities was his ability to demonstrate skills, without the usual bombast you get from the typical a “shooting range” warrior. May he rest in peace, like you said…a true “Yoda”.

RIP

What a coincidence, I was just reading an interview with him the other day. I’m not involved in the firearms community in anyway, but I love these gurus with a focus on mentality, because I think the psychological aspects of combat apply to most of life, not just the topic at hand. Same reason I love reading Cus D’amatos thoughts on will to power etc.

RIP seemed like a real salt of the earth character, don’t get them much anymore.

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
What a coincidence, I was just reading an interview with him the other day. I’m not involved in the firearms community in anyway, but I love these gurus with a focus on mentality, because I think the psychological aspects of combat apply to most of life, not just the topic at hand. Same reason I love reading Cus D’amatos thoughts on will to power etc.

RIP seemed like a real salt of the earth character, don’t get them much anymore.[/quote]

A lot of it crosses over. I think that is likely the most important of the material.

I recommend Jeff Cooper’s writings a lot, even if much of the technical info regarding caliber, platforms, or shooting stance is no longer considered “best practice” because the big message isn’t about that. If you haven’t read any of Cooper I would recomend his Principles of Personal Defense.

Regards,

Robert A