Louie Simmons Video

cool video of louie simmons talking about box squats, bands, building explosive power etc

www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/6608

Enjoy.

I made a thread about this and got like no responses ha, I wish you luck.

Im all for box squats but how the hell did he figure out a 5 foot wide stance was applicable to athletes I will never know.

the part where he mentioned kneeling power cleaning 225 is sick. I’m not even sure if I’m coordinated enough to do that with a broomstick.

this video did alot of confusing for me, sounds like he made some good points but i really need it in writing with some pics so i can understand what the hell he’s talking about

also i love where he goes ‘if i had olympic lifters, america would have gold metals’

Great video.

My question is, is there a part 2? He clearly wasn’t finished talking…

[quote]lbh110 wrote:
also i love where he goes ‘if i had olympic lifters, america would have gold metals’[/quote]

Louie Simmons is a badass.

[quote]Synthetickiller wrote:
Great video.

My question is, is there a part 2? He clearly wasn’t finished talking…[/quote]

Wish I knew…

[quote]Fuzzy-47 wrote:
Im all for box squats but how the hell did he figure out a 5 foot wide stance was applicable to athletes I will never know.[/quote]

uses more hip, which is important in many sports. Some of my coaches actually prefer you go a little wider for a much deeper squat that utilizes more hip then quad.

[quote]Fuzzy-47 wrote:
Im all for box squats but how the hell did he figure out a 5 foot wide stance was applicable to athletes I will never know.[/quote]

Does he say that in the video? I didn’t catch that.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Fuzzy-47 wrote:
Im all for box squats but how the hell did he figure out a 5 foot wide stance was applicable to athletes I will never know.

Does he say that in the video? I didn’t catch that. [/quote]

I think he was just trying to debate powerlifting squat to bodybuilding squat.

problem is, Louie has so much knowledge, and so many years developing his theories, that he comes off as somewhat confusing if you have not had experience with his training methods. westside nearly has its own vocabulary, and it can be overwhelming the first few times hyou are exposed to is.

he has forgotten more about training than most will ever know, that includes many of the authors for this site, with the exception of Poliqin, maybe.

Downloaded to watch later. HT is right, Louie knows so much that everyone but him seems confused as to what the hell he is talking about half the time. I see in MMA forums people always say Louie doesn’t do olympic lifts, but yet when you see how he trained guys like Kevin Randleman they were all doing power cleans. People get lost in what frame of reference he is using.

[quote]Uber N3wb wrote:
Synthetickiller wrote:
Great video.

My question is, is there a part 2? He clearly wasn’t finished talking…

Wish I knew…[/quote]

It’s part of a full seminar, how much is Louie you won’t find out till someone buys it.

Louie definitely came off better (IMO) when answering questions vs. presenting his ideas from his outline or whatever he was reading.

He’s obviously successful, smart and passionate but public speaking is not his strong point. It’s not a strong point for most people though.

I agree that it could have been even more confusing to someone who doesn’t have at least a little knowledge Westside methods and terminology. I am far from an expert, but I understood him.

I thought he presented things pretty clearly. I think maybe people get too hung up on specific things he says and forget that they need to be concentrating on his general message. Not that everybody needs to squat with their feet touching the sides of the monolift, but that a wider stance has these benefits that he enumerates. Not that olympic lifts are no good, but that they are not necessarily the best path to achieve a goal.

What I thought was amazing was all those numbers from as far back as the 70s that he rattled off without thinking! He remembers what everybody he worked with was doing and when, and what got them there. I think it shows a lot of passion on his part. Impressive.

having met louie in person and spending a week with him in the early 1990’s up at westside barbell when i was a competitive pl, AND having hours and hours of phone conversations with him over a period of several years, i can vouch for what the above poster just said about his passion for strength and training.

Louie is one of the greatest minds in the strength game period. when me and my buddy met him, i remember thinking, “wow, this is the most centered individual i have ever met”, i am not sure he could carry on a conversation about anything without training being involved.

as a result, he himself has coached hundreds of elite athletes, not just PL mind you, and thing of the many more hundreds of elite athletes that squat off boxes, use percents, bands, chains, follow the basic westside split of 2 upper, 2 lower, 2 speed, 2 heavy workouts, etc.

name one “guru” that is “worshiped” on this site (again, with exception of poliquin maybe), that have 1/5 of his credibility, not just for the number of strength athletes he as produced/guided/influenced, but his own accomplishments in the game.

he is a teacher who can do. the numbers he put up as a young man, considering NO gear at all, same day weigh ins, are still world class by even todays standards. Like he said, at 52, he squated 921, come on. he works out 2 times a day just about every day.

i could go on.

enough of my nut-hugging, just giving the man his due.

so heavythrower, since you worked with the man, you feel like spreading the knowledge to us about how to properly box squat?

After watching the movie and seeing all this praise, I’m becoming increasingly more interested in box

any tips, common mistakes etc?

One thing I’m not sure about is the loading for the box squats. I think he said he cycles from 40-50% in the pendulum wave, but what about raw lifters and athletes? If I wanted to incorporate dynamic box squats into my routine, would I still use 40-50%, or would it be lighter? Do you have to figure the weight of chain in there too, or is it just the percent of bar weight, plus the chain?

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
One thing I’m not sure about is the loading for the box squats. I think he said he cycles from 40-50% in the pendulum wave, but what about raw lifters and athletes? If I wanted to incorporate dynamic box squats into my routine, would I still use 40-50%, or would it be lighter? Do you have to figure the weight of chain in there too, or is it just the percent of bar weight, plus the chain?[/quote]

The 40-50% is for a skilled suited lifter. I think he said that if you use you max on the speed box you could do 3 week waves of 75, 80 and 85%. This got me to thinking that I was using too little on my speed days. Did anyone else catch that?

For chain weight the way he suggests is that at the top only half of the chain weight is off the ground and that it will completely deload before you get to the bottom position. Therefore the chain weight is in addition to the percent. I think many people set it up so they still have chain weight on the bar while sitting on the box.