Lotto - Winnings

Scratch-offs? No.

However I do scratch my balls on occasion. Sometimes when I’m in line buying a Powerball ticket.

My Grandad won £1200 once.

My rule is buy one whenever the jackpot is > $20m

Next lotto 6/49 jackpot is $43m. Sick.

I worked with a guy who just won a few million. The guy was a bagger at a grocery store. And it literally couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy. He always showed me shit when I first started there.

[quote]mldub7 wrote:
My rule is buy one whenever the jackpot is > $20m

Next lotto 6/49 jackpot is $43m. Sick.[/quote]

Yeah, I’ll probably grab a ticket or two for that one.

You actually have a better chance of being hit by lightning than of winning the lottery. And with the lightning, you can go out in a field in a thunderstorm and wave a long metal pole over your head to increase your chances.

[quote]yorik wrote:
You actually have a better chance of being hit by lightning than of winning the lottery. And with the lightning, you can go out in a field in a thunderstorm and wave a long metal pole over your head to increase your chances.[/quote]

You can buy 100 tickets to increase your chances with the lottery?

[quote]yorik wrote:
You actually have a better chance of being hit by lightning than of winning the lottery. [/quote]

Yet and still, there are times – when the jackpot becomes large enough – where it becomes mathematically correct to buy a ticket.

[quote]chillain wrote:
yorik wrote:
You actually have a better chance of being hit by lightning than of winning the lottery.

Yet and still, there are times – when the jackpot becomes large enough – where it becomes mathematically correct to buy a ticket.

[/quote]

The jackpot I bought a ticket for tonight is $43 million. Was that a mathematically correct decision?

[quote]NigelJay wrote:
chillain wrote:
yorik wrote:
You actually have a better chance of being hit by lightning than of winning the lottery.

The jackpot I bought a ticket for tonight is $43 million. Was that a mathematically correct decision?
[/quote]

Google “49 choose 6”, those are your odds, no matter what…but as the jackpot increases the chances you will share your winnings increases so if you might want to purchase the same numbers multiple times to increase your share…

You would have to be able to buy out every combination and spend less than 43 million in order for it to really be mathematically correct and that isn’t possible. Well you could buy out all combinations for less than 43 million (49 choose 6 * 2) but it isn’t technically possible to buy all those tickets.

Depending on your definition of mathematically correct, that is.

[quote]debraD wrote:
NigelJay wrote:
chillain wrote:
yorik wrote:

Google “49 choose 6”, those are your odds, no matter what…but as the jackpot increases the chances you will share your winnings increases so if you might want to purchase the same numbers multiple times to increase your share…

You would have to be able to buy out every combination and spend less than 43 million in order for it to really be mathematically correct and that isn’t possible. Well you could buy out all combinations for less than 43 million (49 choose 6 * 2) but it isn’t technically possible to buy all those tickets.

Depending on your definition of mathematically correct, that is.[/quote]

Haha, I know, I know. My question was more rhetorical/sarcastic than anything :).

[quote]NigelJay wrote:
Haha, I know, I know. My question was more rhetorical/sarcastic than anything :).[/quote]

I was just being smartass :wink: I haven’t bought a ticket but I might today.

i bought one for that $43 million as well.
Would have been stupid not to as I bought it last week @ $33 million

Yea, i like to burn my money on stupid shit. :slight_smile:

Here’s some math for you.

If you don’t play, your odds of winning is zero. If you buy one ticket, your odds become millions to one against, but that’s infinitely more than zero.

And never buy more than one ticket. Your return on investment is say, $43 million times if you win one decent size jackpot with one ticket. If you buy two tickets, your odds have increased only by a infinitesimal amount and your ROI now drops by one half, or $43 million / 2 or only $21.5 million times.

Well i just went down and got a oz lotto ticket.Its upto $20 million.

U just never know.hahahaha im happy if i win my $12 back :slight_smile:

If i win the 20 million.Free Biotest supps to u all.

[quote]King of Kings wrote:
Well i just went down and got a oz lotto ticket.Its upto $20 million.

U just never know.hahahaha im happy if i win my $12 back :slight_smile:

If i win the 20 million.Free Biotest supps to u all.[/quote]

Shotgun first.

I play on occasion. We have had a pool at work when the pot becomes truly huge, and that won $60 but we just rolled it over.

An old guy in a nearby small town has won 1 mill two different times. Funny thing is I still see him hanging out at the gas station and collecting cans on the side of the road.

my cousin won 1million on a scratch off about 1yr after he won 3 million on powerball.

lucky f*ck. i aint’ seeing ANY of that.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
I think it’s somewhat of an evil concept, the idea that you can get a shit ton of money for doing nothing… if you are playing games of skill like poker that is one thing, but mindless shits like slot machines and lotto tickets are just wrong[/quote]

I see your point. Putting in an honest days work growing and selling maryjane is a virtuous way of making living. LOL.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
my cousin won 1million on a scratch off about 1yr after he won 3 million on powerball.

lucky f*ck. i aint’ seeing ANY of that.[/quote]

That’s fucked up.

I’d at least give my cousin something, I mean it’s family.