Losthog—2018 First year

Everything you wrote above is true. I forgot to take into account that strongman is more than just log pressing and heavy deadlifting, haha.

You’re spot on about this as well. Woolam’s bench and squat are good, elite even, but they’re nowhere near his deadlift. That is his ultimate bread and butter. You’ll see athletes like Yuri Belkin, who pull numbers similar to Woolam, but their Squat and Bench are on average 100 pounds higher.

Wimp, lol.

6 Likes

11/20/18– reclaiming my log Squat day

Warmup: lunges

Squats:
45x10
135x10
225x3
320x4
320x4
320x6 (had more held back due to early in the program and the big box gym we were at sucked bad.)

Pause squats: 2 count in the hole
265x3x6
265x6 (these were not hard!)

Leg press: (total plates)
4x12
6x12
8x12
Single leg:
4x12

Seated hamstring curl:
55x12
85x12
85x12
105x15 (lost count went for the burn)

Let me say I would never join a big box gym. The equipment was Unreal! They had everything you could imagine for bodybuilding. For those styles of training it would be awesome! Sauna, pool, spin class, cardio equipment, diverse and interesting. But the power lifting equipment was bad…

The squat rack we used was too wide and the bar weight would clang off the side while walking it out or in. It would be scary to do any sort of max lifting here. The bars were trash and I would be scared to load up one for something big weight.

There were the guys loafing around doing camel back deadlifts and partial squatters other bits of general gym fuckery going on. I may need to just open a powerlifting gym in this area. I can’t believe there isn’t one in my area any better than we have.

Maybe there are some private gyms around I just am not aware of. And if I do take the plunge that would be the way I would go.

12 Likes

Yess!

1 Like

Just remember what they say about opening a gym. “Fastest way to make a million dollars when opening a new gym, is to start with two million”. !!

10 Likes

Yup, max lifting on shitty equipment is never a good idea. That is something I learned the hard way, multiple times.

2 Likes

10/22/18— Thanksgiving Bench light day

Warmup
Band stuff
Flys

Bench
45x10
95x10
135x5
185x5
205x5
205x5
205x5
205x5
205x5

CGB:
155x8
155x8
155x8

Incline:
135x8
135x8
135x8
135x8
135x8

DB flat:
40x12x5

Incline DB:
40x12x5

Skulls
5x15x5

Banded kneeling tri extensions
X20x5

Took forever and skipped the ab work.

8 Likes

11/23/18– Deadlift

Warmup: holy crap my conditioning is garbage I get winded so easy right now. Don’t know if it is from being sick still or just decay.

DL:
135x10 (hammy so tight)
135x5 (needed more warmup)
225x5 (legs still super tight)
225x5 (getting warmed up)
315x1 (this was heavy and it usually is not)
345x4
345x4
345x4
345x4 (this was a challenge)

395x2
395x2 (uggh this was so heavy)

345x8 (amrap with 8 minimum. I got my 8 and didn’t push it)

Deficit DL on a plate:
295x8
295x8
295x8 (maybe the worst dl day ever in the gym)

Seated good morning:

115x8
135x8
135x8 (didn’t push this hard at all just getting the reps in)

Pull-ups: scratch this substitute lat pull down

Lat pull down:
100x12
100x12
100x12
100x12
100x12

My lower body is still trashed from tuesday’s Squats. I didn’t know if I was going to get my reps in today. I got all the reps and didn’t push it. Very early in this program to be so crushed. Squats tomorrow are going to be interesting…may need to trim the weight some to not over reach so much.

8 Likes

What program is this again - the bench focus one?

Deathbench-GZCL-MagOrt.

It’s a combination of three programs for bench, deadlift, and squat. I didn’t combine them someone else did and wrote it as a program.

The squat declines in total weight week to week while the bench and DL climb in weight week to week. It’s a tough program.

Tomorrow’s squats are almost identical to Tuesday’s except the paused squats are replaced by 10 rep at around 50%. Next week it jumps 20lbs :man_facepalming::crazy_face:

2 Likes

Late to this log but I’m definitely watching, Ortmag is a hell of a deadlift program and will build your capability to deadlift heavy and for reps, I love it. I’m also trying out Bench death! Good stuff man!

1 Like

Damn you Hog, another shiny object to have a look at :slight_smile:
I’ll be looking over your shoulder … watching and learning.

2 Likes

@mortdk speaking of shiny new objects. I couldn’t resist the Black Friday sales. I got a rouge Ohio deadlift boneyard bar shipping and all just over $200. I almost pulled the trigger on a Texas deadlift bar from elietfts just before but the shipping was killer. Putting the bar well into $300+. So I stopped went to rouge and found this bar should be here in time for the next deadlift session.

Used my elietfts points to grab some hoodies and got free shipping and free gifts worth $60. Good day I would say! Merry Xmas to me!

6 Likes

So a couple of years ago my brother was buying a gym in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. He had bought and sold a few companies and had done well and he let me invest $5K for 5% ownership, it was a generous deal.

Then the build out went from $150K to $500K - the land lord paid the first $150K, the contractor kept fucking us, and we had to pay it based on the shitty lease we signed. Personal guarantees and all.

Obvs, with an extra $350K in debt, and a roided out manager that was tapping the help and the customers, (IT guy had access to his email and all of the naked pictures going back and forth), it took about four years for it to implode.

By the time we sold it, I ended up owning 35% of it, which was 35% of nothing.

But, the losses ended up saving me close to fifteen thousand in taxes, so my brother did me right in the long run.

I would never own a gym unless it was just for me to have a place to lift, In fact, I plan on opening one when I retire. But, it will be spartan at best, with a yoga room and a juice bar and will focus on recovery rather than getting jacked. Morning sadhana, a juice bar, recovery meetings and yoga.

Sangha of Jodha Anand (my spiritual name, lol)

Sedona or Santa Cruz - look me up in ten years.

5 Likes

i also want a spiritual name. hmmm… but bonoboschimp is already a spiritual name, yeeeyyy.

I think you need a first name.

Henceforth you will be known as Mahan Bonoboschimp Khalsa Singh.

You’re welcome. Blessings be upon you.

4 Likes

@The_Myth are you Sikh?

11/24/18 “light” squat day

Warmup: lunges, bird dogs,bandedglute bridges

Squats:
45x10
135x8
185x5
225x5
275x3
340x4
340x4
340x4 (was so happy to see I only had 3 sets not 4)

225x10
225x10
225x10
225x12

Leg press
230x12
230x12
230x12
230x12

Banded hamstring curls
Green band x15 x4

Had a solid squat session. Really focused on feeland form. Had an epiphany of sorts. Some of the cues I learned when I started squatting that made no sense I finally get. The lifts have to be practiced and learned. This does t happen overnight and takes a lot of reps to perfect. Cues to repair one aspect of a lift are dependent on the lifter and are used to fix the lagging aspect of form. I’ve been going back over basic form videos again and some of the things I was like meh that doesn’t make sense. Totally does now.

Lift, learn, pass it on…

9 Likes

No, but into Kundalini yoga which is heavily influenced by Sikhism.

2 Likes

woah

2 Likes