Losthog—2018 First year

Hell yeah Hog … That is awesome.
Dark Horse rules !!

1 Like

I think a 60lb PR is a good place to shut it down, hammy tweak or not. Nice work hoss.

2 Likes

Nipping at my heels! Nice pull. I might be trying rack pulls instead of trap bar today. It’s killing me to not Deadlift.

5 Likes

Solid work, old man. Them hammy tweaks suck, I’ve had a few in my day. I hate having to train around shit like that. 60 lb PR in what, 9 weeks? Solid.

2 Likes

08/06/18— Max Dead and OHP day

Deads
135x10
225x8
315x3
405x1
465x1 (tweaked left hammy same one)

https://instagram.com/p/BmI1s12Hvv-/

315 to test hammy. Nope
225x 5 screw you hammy break or get stronger one or the other already
225x5
225x5

OHP —-the guys talked me into it.

45x10
65x10
95x5
135x3
185x1

https://instagram.com/p/BmI2Ha9FWCX/

205 x 0 (got it up to my fore head)
205x 0 (nope)

135x5
135x5
135x5

So the hamstring thing is pissing me off. It is either gonna break or get better I’m sick of having to baby this bitch. I’m gonna squat on Friday and try to blow the damn thing out or die trying.

9 Likes

Dude- your progress is nothing short of amazing. But you cannot keep doing this to your hamstring. You barely even took a deload week and your body is trying to tell you to take it easy. You may even get stronger with proper rest. But mark my words - I have seen people legitimately tear a hamstring, and it is fuckin horrible. You will lose every single gain you made from this program and have to start pretty much everything from scratch if you tear a hammy. I want to see you hit bigger numbers!

7 Likes

On a separate note you look lean despite the weight gain and that 465 looked way too easy - with time, 500 is EASILY within your grasp.

2 Likes

I tore the right hamstring in February and rehabbed it and it is damn near bulletproof I did the Starr protocol. I may run it again just to repair the left one…

I’m wondering if I need to work the hams more or just stick at this weight for awhile. I’m at a loss. The area affected in the left is where I tore it when I was early 30s. Maybe the new strength levels are breaking up some older scar tissue.

2 Likes

Besides rest, stretching, foam rolling and some Advil, you might need to work your quads more. Weakness/imbalance in a muscle can force the antagonist muscle to work harder and strain itself. So while I know this program hit every inch of your body and then some, the heavy deads and squats are likely hitting your hammies more than your quads. I’m on a split now where instead of legs I have a quad day and a hamstring day. Always worth trying. I think if you play this right you can avoid a serious injury and keep plugging on!

3 Likes

Jesus Christ man. 465 and 185 in the same day? unFUCKINreal!!! Way to go big man!! I agree with Flappin–that 465 was easy money. I wish I was a PT and could tell you why your hamstring keeps acting up out of the blue. I can’t. Fortunately, you’ve completed this program and set a few monster PRs already, which was the whole point! That’s incredible.

Again, I agree with @flappinit. The things you’re able to do right now as a 43 year are absolutely incredible. You’re one of the only (if not THE only) guy over 40 I know who lifts weights, let alone weights that dudes in their 20s couldn’t touch with a 10 foot pole. That’s insane. But you need to keep in mind that the reason most 40+ year olds can’t do what you do (aside from the lazy ones, which is a lot, not because they’re 40+, but because most people are just lazy) is because they’ve been through the shredded hammies and shoulders that crunch every time they move. I don’t want you to go that route. You’re too good at this to throw it away over a bit of frustration.

It takes 2-3 weeks to lose strength gains. You have some more time to rest up before you max squats. As much as I want to see you set another 60lb PR, I would rather wait another 4-10 days than see a post that says “My hammy is fucked. It’s been real, but doc says I can’t lift anymore. See ya”

6 Likes

Congrats on the PRs man, just crushing it!

1 Like

Listen to the other guys. Avoid the purple and swollen hammy. Also, wait 7-10 days and go pull 5 plates. You’ll be able to do it with a bit more rest.

I know it’s the opposite of taking it easy but it’s there if you want it. I guess if you feel the hammy as you build up then call it a day.

2 Likes

The other guys covered it. Nicer words too.

I was going to say, you’ve done a good job and made progress. Don’t be a fuckwit and ruin it.

7 Likes

^Ha ha what mark said

3 Likes

:arrow_up::arrow_double_up:
What all the other guys said Hog.
That pull was absolutely amazing man, looked so easy.

This was you 6 days ago, you have to take it easy Hog. Keep lifting but do it deload style for a week or so, it might be to late, but I don’t think so.

2 Likes

dude

1 Like

Smashing the PR mate, well done, but yeah, what. Mark said, don’t bloody ruin it now, rest up.

1 Like

Nice pun :joy:

And @losthog you’re big as hell man. Great job. Giving the rest of us some inspiration

1 Like

Yeah I’m fat as a slab of ribs. Time to tune it back and get the BF closer to 15%. I’m sitting somewhere 18%-20% right now.

1 Like

I’m hoping to stay below 18% during this bulk (or at least what I think 18% looks like).

I don’t feel like I’m doing a dirty bulk but when I realize I will have gained 40 lbs in a year (if I succeed) I wonder if it’s too much, too fast. Oh, well. Fuck it :joy:

2 Likes