Losthog—2018 First year

Ight, so honestly, I just dabble in this shit and the knowledgeable dudes will chime in shortly. In the meantime, IMO, it looks solid. On one of the reps the bar gets out in front of you a little bit but that’s more from not getting set than any form issue. I would not rush your reps, take time to get set up properly before pulling.

The final thing, and really the only form thing that I see, is you can get your chest up a little - I think the cue is proud chest. This will help you get your spine neutral - it does round a little, and thinking proud chest can prevent this.

Rippetoe does some shit on the five step set up to DL. I don’t think it’s necessary to get all jiggy wid it like that, but they do want you to go through all steps between reps. For me, DL is where I get hurt so I’m extra careful with it. Or, like now, I just don’t DL, lol.

BTW, good bar speed. What’s your TM for DL?

3 Likes

For this cycle it is 315 :joy: Too low. I was scheduled to rep 305. Decided to do 315 just because it’s easier to load…

I think I need to have a TM around 350ish

I saw the same thing from the side not getting the chest into a good firm set on a few reps. Small rounding of the upper back. Good catch thanks…

1 Like

Thanks, hog!
I went to school in Heber Springs, but I have lived in Rogers, Searcy, Alma, and Little Rock. I would most likely say that I am ‘from’ the Cabot area. Currently living in Lexington, TN so I guess I’m a lost hog as well.

Thank you for sharing the useful info, I will try not to waste it.

1 Like

Glad to find a fellow Hog fan on here bud. Loving the new coach Morris. I think we got a good one. If you have some questions just give me a shout. I will help where I can and tell you I have no stinking idea if I don’t.

I think starting strength is a good place to start to get some basic idea of what kinds of weight you can reasonably handle safely. Focus on form over big weight.

The best gains you will make will come from getting your diet dialed in. Start with cutting out sugar, and fast food. Try to eat Whole Foods…( steak, chicken, pork, veggies, rice, potatoes, nothing out of a box, can.). Eat your veggies!

1 Like

First rep is solid. The only issue with subsequent reps is that you’re not resetting properly, so you’re not as tight. Think of firing a action rifle (this applies to pretty much all the lifts, BTW): every time you fire, you go through the exact same process to chamber a round. Same for your reps.

TM is also not too low. There’s almost no such thing. The last thing you want to do is increase your TM simply because you can. The lower a TM you can progress with, the longer you can go until you need to reset.

4 Likes

Nothing to add from me. Mark and Myth covered it. You just look like you’re in a hurry between reps. That’s an easy thing to correct.

1 Like

Just wanted to say that was a heck of a workout you just had yourself going.
And a nice couple of videos too. Looked a little dizzy on the last rep.
Everybody said what had to be said. So nice lifts man

1 Like

The biggest problem is that it’s not sumo and ur not wearing sexi tights lol

Jk. I think it looks really good. Stuff like pulling with a rounded upper back (only slightly for you) is more like a way to pull with pros and cons then an actual error I think.

I’d get rid of the Nikes and treat myself to some nice lifting shoes lol

1 Like

These shoes are as close to flat as I have. They are not real spongy either.

I’m would love a suggestion on shoes…

I’ve looked and it seems I need 2 pair. One for squats and another for deads.
I’m thinking ill spring for the Nike roflamos 2 (sure that isn’t spelled right) and not sure what to do for the deads. I was reading that chucks are good but have too much sponge in the heel for big deads.

1 Like

You don’t need heeled squat shoes if it doesn’t do anything for you I think. A low flat solid lifting shoe can be both a squat and deadlift shoe. Saves a lot of money that way too lol

We talked about heeled squat shoe in mortdk’s log but like I said it’s a lot of money to use on something that won’t do much for you. I’d recommend the Romaleos 2 (not the 3s cos they are for fuckbois lol) if you want a heeled squat shoe.

For deadlift/flat squat shoes there’s slippers going for like 20-30 bucks to the Metal Powerlifting Shoes for $200+ and everything in between.

There’s wrestling shoes like the ASICS Matflex, discontinued shoes (I think) from Reebok, Barefoot/Minimalist shoes like the ones from Merrell and you can always lift barefoot if the gym allows it. There’s the generic lifting shoe from several brands that look like these. They’d do the job too

I use the Sabo Deadlifts for um deadlifts lol and they’re pretty good and the rest of the Sabo range is decent too (On Sale at MaxBarbell)

Chucks are a classic but honestly I don’t think they do anything particularly well for a lifting shoe but they are cheap

1 Like

If your looking for flat shoes for squats instead of raised heals then maybe try some Dunlop Volleys without the inner sole, also work well for deads too. Have you tried deadlifting bare foot? I find it the most comfortable, or in socks when it’s freezing cold in the garage.

1 Like

If you don’t have flat shoes, just pull barefoot.

3 Likes

@I_Luc I did DL barefoot once…I like the feel of a shoe. i lift in the fieldhouse so my office is part of the field house and I can just leave the shoes on site. I really want a pair that is dual function squat/ DL. If I ever do decide to do a Meet it would be nice if they were a “sanctioned” shoe, but I may never do a meet.

@guineapig dude, thanks for the shoe info. It is a bit overwhelming but gives me something to do while waiting to lift again…

1 Like

@ChickenLittle I may try it again soon. Shoes feel good…

I understand that completely. I like my shoes too. I found some cheap ass, gutless wonders at Wallyworld for $7 :smirk:
Just a thought.
I don’t see many band pull aparts in your log. I know they are not fun, or glamorous but in my opinion it will benefit your shoulders. At least 100 everyday. Maybe even some batwings to help pin your shoulder blades down. FlatsFarmer and OG had to drill this in my head. I didn’t like it, but it helped me tremendously.

1 Like

@ChickenLittle. I do dislocations with a band and pull aparts at home while watching the tube. 20-50 dislocations and 20-30 pull aparts almost daily.

Starting to add them in. I do face pulls every time I’m in the gym now

1 Like

Socks for deads. Or wrestling shoes. Oh, and @reed recently said Vans high tops are good too. Not sure which ones though.

1 Like

Adidas Samba Classics make a fine, durable, stable, flat-soled shoe for squats and deadlifts and, costing around $55, they don’t break the bank.

1 Like

Pull-up challenge:

Do a pull-up for each day of the month.

Multiply the day times the month to progress. Today is February 11.

11x2. 22 pull-ups for the day. Do this each day.

Pull-ups can be done at any time of the day for as many sets or reps until the daily total is met. Too easy? Do weighted.

Set 1: 6 pull-ups
Set 2: 5 pull-ups
Set 3: 5 pull-ups
Set 4: 6 pulls… done for the day

May get a few more later for sngs

What shoes are you wearing now. Some kind of Nike flex, flywire, trainer or something? I love the minimal, breathable mesh Nikes, but some of them have really thick or really squishy soles, strange honey comb design or weird shocks or something. The “Nike Flex RN Experience” don’t have anything silly like that. They are flat and not too thick. Check them out.

Band Dislocates
For me, these felt like they were working, so I did lots of them. But my shoulder pain/flexibility/stability never really improved. Now, I don’t do them and my shoulders feel and work better. Personally, I think the move was so “long” that I just cheated through the important part of the ROM. I think I just shrugged my shoulders up, and maybe reenforced Bad Motions. That may not be the case for you though. I’m a super dirty cheater.

Pull Aparts are still cool! Focusing on the muscles and the tension between my shoulder blades more than the reps has helped me get more out of them. I like this video.

4 Likes