Losthog—2018 First year

Haha pun appreciated :laughing:

I personally think that either a 225 press or a bodyweight press would be awesome. I’ve never seen one in person before. It’s kind of like a 350 bench. When you get to that point, it’s just really cool. There are several folks on here with a big press (for example, littlesleeper). My current goal is 200, with a long-run goal of 225.

It seems like you are already doing strong numbers - especially since you haven’t been lifting for a ton of time. I was just curious what your goal was since we are pushing pretty similar weights around for press. Awesome job on all your lifts though. Super good goals and progress. I’m definitely in for your log.

1 Like

@muskratlifts funny you say I’m pushing big numbers. I don’t think I’m very strong at all. Thx for the compliment. I’ve only been lifting since June/July and never did more than a day or two here or there before this…

2 Likes

It’s easy to feel like you aren’t very strong when you look at yourself relative to some of the beasts on this forum haha. Compared to most people though, you’re a strong guy. I guess it depends on perspective.

2 Likes

2/18/18 measurement day

Am:242. PM: 243

Bodyfat%: 18. (12,31,12)
Fat lbs: 43.7
LBM: 199.3

Neck: 16
Shoulders: 51.75
Chest: 45.5
Ribs: 42
Belly: 41.75
Waist: 40.75
Rt/LT

Bicep: 16/16
Forearm: 12.5/12.5
Thigh: 24/23.5. (Right has some swelling?)
Calf: 16/16

Made the switch to carbs less than 200g daily. BF is up not surprising as new as the carb switch is. May need to lower calories down to 2100/1900 for a week but not until the hammie is 100%.

Still learning the carb diet thing. Enjoying carbs. I get to eat more and more variety with veggies especially.

4 Likes

I guess that the hammie was worse than I previously thought. Bruising showed up today. This is a pic of the back of the leg…

3 Likes

Yep. Careful.

Nurse it back to health. Light rep work building slowly.

2 Likes

Light 3-6weeks. Yuck. But not much choice at this point.

Best site I’ve found for recovery…

Not sure how my age plays into this but 400 squat may be out of the question for me. But hey. We won’t know until I try…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Monitor how it goes e.g. pain, ROM, deformity, swelling etc. (especially deformity cos you might have ruptured something and no amount of light rep work is going to repair that). If stuff’s getting better than that’s a good sign. Think the process goes something like:

Manage/resolve symptoms
Restore full ROM
Light resistance for rehab
Gradual Return to Full Activity

2 Likes

@khangles weird there has never been any pain. The ROM is much better today. I’m wondering if it was a tear at the connective point where the tendon meets the femoral bicep. It seems to be the outside (distal) of the three muscles that tweaked.

I’m really not quite sure how to rehab this properly…more Internet study needed. I’m thinking it is a grade 1 due to the lack of pain and lack of swelling and quickness of recovery.

Not sure I’ll ever trust the squat fully again…

Maybe I’m too old. I’ll probably explode it at some point and be done, maybe a year from now…maybe not.

He would know if the hamstring was off the bone. He had a medium grade strain. Classic symptoms.

No pain is a weird one but maybe it was the lightest of strains or maybe you’re just too tough to notice the pain. Is there still nothing when you stretch your hamstrings to the limit or poke around in there hard? Try the stretch where you start with your knee/thigh hugged to your chest with knees bent and then straighten out your knee from that position.

Mayb but probably not. Right now I think that info is of little value but it might come in handy later to target rehab if you know where the damage is. If you Wikipedia the hamstrings you can get the function and anatomy/location of the muscles comprising the hamstring group so can narrow it down if you wish.

Short of an expensive scan and thorough examination it’s hard to know exactly where or what’s going on. Probably best just to follow the process and see how your injury responds. If you treat in like a strain and it responds well and you get back to full activity then it was a strain lel.

Bit early to be thinking like that lel. It could’ve just come down to bad luck (this would be my guess) but later on in the process you can look at contributing factors e.g. form, muscle imbalance, muscle tightness or fatigue.

You may be old but the body still has an plenty of ability to adapt to work.

1 Like

Is this a recurring issue? Sorry, i have not read a lot of your log/history.

You do squat in a style that keeps the hamstrings lengthened (which is not a bad thing, necessarily). Ala, Rippetoe style.

Make sure you’re doing direct hamstring work (curls, rdls, back ext, ghr, etc).

Dont stretch for now, strengthen.

You can look into a safer (for you) squat, like high bar knees forward focus or front squat. They will not lengthen the hamstring as much.

Regardless, you’re going to be fine.

1 Like

This is the first time for this leg to have any hammie issues.

I blew a hammy playing capture the flag when I was 30ish (13 years ago) in the other leg. It was much worse the whole back of the leg turned black and I limped for a week.

I do RDLs, leg curls, and front squats.

The video where it happened is :point_up_2: Up there.
The squat session before this one I was not good. Bar position sucked nothing felt good. This time everything was like butter. I found the grove. Weight was flying up, bar position was solid. Then bam…spaghetti pulling.

I’ve done leg curls (yesterday) and convential deads (yesterday). Both were light. I even front squatted. No issues from it.

I did 25 bodyweight squats last night with no issues. It is healing and being lower in the hamstring on the outside of the leg (bicep femoris) from what I’m reading is a much faster repair for the body, than if it was more toward the glute.

I iced it two days after 3-5 times with 20 min of ice.

Today (4 days post injury) I put some heat on it. I’ve got it iced now and will put some heat back alternating heat and ice for 20 min in 5 min interivals.

I don’t feel much pain. In the muscles they just sort of quit being able to lift the weight. :see_no_evil:

I do feel the muscle working and had a great deadlift day the other day. It was like having an outer body experience. All I could feel was the feet crushing the floor and the back shooting through the roof. Everything else felt black…like it was empty or void. One of the best deadlifting sets I’ve ever had. TMI?

1 Like

I’ll probably pull today (sumo lol). I think the worse part is the waiting. Even if it’s like two weeks I’m impatient and it feels like forever

1 Like

Go light. The DL day was a week or more ago.

I deadlifted yesterday and worked up to 155. It felt gritty so I backed off to 135 and did a few sets at 135. My max is somewhere 400+ not sure never tested it. Only pulled 385 for one and decided that was enough.

1 Like

That is not da wae ma bruddah. 200kg minimum

5 Likes

I found this in the start of your log.

Maybe the hammie thing is your old body telling you something :slight_smile:

When training for strength I am a true believer, that the body need time to recover. It needs deloads.
Not a week of the weights. But a week where you take the top of the weights and some volume off.
Might even take a day or two of the weights every week too.

3 Likes