Losthog—2018 First year

10/22/18— W2D1 Chest and Tris

Warmup:
Jump rope
Band stuff

Activation:
Chest Flys 4-5x20 (better activation this week here)

Bench:
45x10 (had a little chest pump going in :+1:)
135x5
185x3
210x10 (had 11-12 much easier than last week)
240x4 (no more left)

Incline DB:
60x10
60x10
60x10 (much easier than last week)

Cable crossover w squeeze
30x20
30x20
30x20 (too light need to go up in weight)

Push ups:
7,7,7 (should have pushed for 10s this time)

Dips:
6 (new rep max!)
9 (hell yeah! Beat my old rep max!)

Rev grip tricep push down with iso hold:
50x20
50x20
50x20 (massive pump)

This was much better this week I’m adapting to this style of work and the addition of a intra workout had me staying in the zone.

I’m beginning to like this style of work for upper body but for lower :nauseated_face::face_vomiting:

12 Likes

High rep squats are fucking brutal. When the numbness sets in, that’s when you begin to enter (cue Dave Tate’s Table Talk Intro Music): The Void.

4 Likes

10/24/18— W2D2 Deadlift

Warmup:
Jump rope
Lunges, body squats

Activation:
Reverse seated lat pulls
4-5x20

Deficit deads 1”
135x10
185x8
225x5
275x3
315x3
345x10 (lightly touch floor and go rest at the top)
345x8 (felt these deep in my glutes)

Lying leg curls
2-3 warmup
50x12
50x8

Reverse hypers on a bench
X20
X20

At this point it felt like I ran out of energy and wanted to take a nap…

Spider curls
45x20
55x15

Barbell curls
95x12
95x12
95x12

All done. I was stupid tired. Those deads took my soul tonight and it was the first time over ever been crushed by a set like that. I survived.

13 Likes

Well the good news is that you only had curls left to do after your energy was gone. It could’ve been something horrible like front squats :laughing:

4 Likes

Lots of volume man. You feeling beat up yet? lol

Yes, I hate this programming style. It is beating the hell out of me

2 Likes

Ben Pollack looks the way he does for a reason. Haha…he’s a closet bodybuilder who thrives on inhuman drop sets and slow eccentrics (don’t tell him I said that :smirk:).

3 Likes

10/27/18– W2D3 Squats

Warmup:
Jump rope
Lunges

SSB
65x8
155x8
175x8
205x8

Squat
135x10
290x10 (had 2-3 more decided to rack it)

Leg press
320x20
230x30

Nordic leg curls
X7
X7
X5

Banded hamstring curls
X20
X20

Standing calf raise (why? Oh boy calf training!)
230x15
230x20

I’m so sick of this type of training. This is bullshit. I can’t believe I paid for this shit. I am thinking of finishing what I paid for then moving on. I want to stay the course but it seems that this was just a money grab by pollack and not a serious attempt to “coach” anyone. Consider me a non believer. @Alpha has better programs and truly there for the people.

6 Likes

What’s your biggest complaint? To me it looks very low volume with 1-2 near max rep sets

2 Likes

Great question. It just seems to be a program where I’m treading water. Not gaining not losing. Understand that I post my raw thoughts unfiltered and no holdback so I can see how the program builds and what my raw reaction is to all the workouts.

So far it doesn’t seem like enough work to build. The one or two working sets are hard to get done, but then it just seems to trail off at the end of the workout. It is a very different programming model than I have ever run before so it is a complete learning experience for me. I need to just settle in and learn, but this style of programming is frustrating to me…

2 Likes

Definitely finish what you paid for. Unless you get halfway through it and you find that you’re legitimately starting to dread going to the gym (too boring or too hard), I would stick it out. That way you can definitively say whether or not you like Ben’s programming. Who knows, there might be a couple PRs for you after all of this.

3 Likes

It seems sort of like 5/3/1.

1 Like

Hog you’ve made insane progress over the last year. It’s time to consolidate and keep it real. You say your not gaining or losing on this program but it’s only been a few weeks. Keep at it big fella, it will take time, the rate of progression you’ve had was bound to slow down at some stage.

6 Likes

Ok… but I don’t have to like it. :joy:

I’m not sure if I’m gaining or what. This program doesn’t give me opportunities to go for it really. It tempers my push it to the limit desires. But hey I’m still following along.

I did do some Nordic curls for the first time and my hamstrings are all warm and toasty. I am able to do body weight dips now. So there are some positive take away from this program.

The next week he is releasing a nutrition plan and we move to 4 days a week lifting so I guess I need to stay disciplined and learn from a guy that knows more than I do…

1 Like

I think I may have brought this up before, but there is training for fun; and there is training for a purpose. Pollack’s training is the latter, because he is concerned with performance.

Until now most of your training has been for fun. You get to hit PRs regularly, talk about how much you grinded, post big lifts on IG, etc. You haven’t been doing this for long, so you made progress (not without cost, though. Remember your hamstring). If that’s what you want out of training, that’s fine. Just remember your performance will probably suffer.

With Pollack’s system, your training is with purpose. It isn’t fun. It’s boring. It seems pointless to do ‘bodybuilding’. You’re not drained every session. You’re not moving weight enough to need to grind. Except what it’s doing is making you bigger and stronger. Your recovery is a part of the program.

That’s all you need to bear in mind: what you want out of training. If it’s fun, ditch the program. If it’s performance, embrace delayed gratification.

13 Likes

Mark is spot on here. There are many sessions in my training where I finish and feel like I haven’t done enough. Those sessions are the ones where I actually progress. It can be a little boring but for me it’s still feels good to be doing the program and hitting all the numbers. I guess that’s just my anal retention !!!

6 Likes

https://thibarmy.com/introduction-neurotyping-type-1a-profile/

Watch this video.

1 Like

I think everything has been said here, and as @simo74 said @MarkKO is spot on. As always.
I get your rants Hog and I interpret them as it is what you’re thinking not actually what you will do.
I believe you’ll run the program, and being it a program for performance I’ll bet it will be as hard as you’ll like, not all the time but it will come.
When you’re done with it, you can look back at the journey and compare it to the Darkhorse.
And then you can decide what to do, what you liked the best.

1 Like

That is some great info. Glad to see you are consuming information! Coach Thibb has always peaked my interest in his approach to training and applications.

You are correct brother. This program is shifting gears this next week some. Exercises are rotating (we are getting some new ones), lift ranges are changing, and we are adding a day to training.

All ranting aside. I am learning a ton. I quest I need to Head the advice “shut up and lift”.

@MarkKO and @simo74 are speaking things that I’m noticing even in this two weeks. That when I leave the gym, I can tell I’ve worked, but my cns isn’t crashed from “junk volume or intensity “.

Seems like there was an article on tnation awhile back that discussed the idea that do as little as you can to make gains. Something Chad Wesley Smith also promotes. He suggest if you exhaust the volume threshold to make gains early in training years you have nowhere to progress later in training years.

3 Likes