T Nation

Lost Two Friends

i awoke this morning to learn that a close friend of mine and his sister were murdered this weekend in front of a liquor store a block from their home. in all honesty, i’m not suprised that my friend mike “buzz” has been killed. he had chosen not to give up the lifestyle that the majority of our circle of friends abandoned after an unfortunate chain of events. to this day he still “lived by the sword”, and has thus reaped his reward. the ultimate tragedy of this event is the loss of his sister, a young intelligent woman who had her life stolen after only 19 years.

Denaya, mikes sister was entering a career in forensic psychology at the local college. i remeber not six months ago pouring her her first shot of hard alcohol at a friends birthday/welcome home from iraq party. that was the last time i saw her. she was in no way affiliated in any of the activities her brother carried on, and was killed i imagine to avoid the chance of a witness identifying the killers. mike died in the hospital on saturday, and his siter died on the scene.

this is a stark reminder that our actions not only effect ourselves but the people around us.

Mike and Demaya, you will truly be missed. rest in peace my friends.

One dead, one injured in Riverside shooting

A 19-year-old woman was killed and a 24-year-old man seriously injured in a shooting Friday night outside a Stater Bros. Market on Mary Street and Lincoln Avenue in Riverside, Riverside County Coroner’s officials said today.

Police found Denaya Marie Shanks dead on the sidewalk about 9:30 p.m. outside the Casa Blanca market at 2861 Mary St. The 24-year-old man, whose name was not available, was in very critical condition at a local hospital, officials said.

Witnesses told police they had heard an argument followed by gunshots and had seen several Hispanic men leaving the area on foot afterward, Riverside Police Lt. Victor Williams said in a news release.

Damn. Sorry to hear about that.

Yeah, me too.

Thats awful news.

Sorry to hear about your loss mazilla :frowning:

thanks for the kind words, the fact that this is the second and third friend i have who has died in the last two years from “gang violence” makes it all the more difficult. i thought those years were far behind us, but it seems they can never be escaped.

I feel for you man. I have lost quite a few friends to that, o.d.s, and other related misadventures.

You have made the necessary changes to make sure that you aren’t next, right?

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
I feel for you man. I have lost quite a few friends to that, o.d.s, and other related misadventures.

[/quote]

yeah, part of me now wishes i had not and wants more than anything to return the favor to the pieces of shit that did this. i know mike would have done the same for me, he has before. given the neighborhood, i am pretty sure the cock suckers had to be given a green light to hit him, if not they are dead by their own people.

the information is being gathered, we’ll know soon enough. before the police thats for sure.

That’s terrible. Best of luck to you and the parents, this has to be a pretty damn terrible time for them.

mazilla,

sorry for your loss. As much as I can understand your desire for revenge, the best thing you can do to honour your friends is not to do anything stupid and live a good life as an upright citizen, giving back to your community.

My condolences, again.
Makkun

[quote]mazilla wrote:
SkyzykS wrote:

yeah, part of me now wishes i had not and wants more than anything to return the favor to the pieces of shit that did this. i know mike would have done the same for me, he has before. given the neighborhood, i am pretty sure the cock suckers had to be given a green light to hit him, if not they are dead by their own people.

the information is being gathered, we’ll know soon enough. before the police thats for sure.[/quote]

May they both rest in peace, and may the pain and suffering be removed from you, the families, and the community.

They are both in a better place now, looking down upon you.

Keep your head up and stay strong, you will get through this.

Sorry to hear about your loss. My condolensces to you and their family.

Thoughts and prayers with their family and loved ones.

I’m sorry for your loss, Maz. Keep yourself straight so no one loses you.

-folly

Has anyone ever heard of the Lobster effect? Bare with me on this one.

They say that when a lobster tries to climb out of a cage or fish tank, the other lobsters pull that lobster down.

I don’t know much about the social surroundings these two kids were in. I can say this though. I do feel like there is some kind of cruel twist of fait for some people that try to escape a troubled past. They some how always get sucked back in. Most of the time its their innocent loved ones that end up being the victims.

This story remind me of the movie American History X. I’m very sad to hear stories like this…

I’m sorry for your loss and your loss in the past man but keep it on the straight. Your one friend may have gone for revenge but you know his sister wouldn’t have. With her major you know she would want the police to handle it, as slow as they may be.

What part of cali are you from? My cousin is a detective and SWAT officier out there and maybe I can light a fire under their ass for ya.

Pierce

Why did I expect this story to end with, “You’re moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air”?

Sorry to hear, Bro. I’ll keep you in mind.

Sorry to hear about that. Thats a pretty shitty situation.

What the fuck, this is 15 minutes from my house. I know that neighborhood,
I used to live off Lincoln near Arlington High, and it’s not dangerous at all (it’s a suburbian white area, off victoria where all the orange groves are). This kind of thing usually happens in SB, not around here.

I’m sorry for your loss Mazilla, but in all honesty that’s not a rough neighborhood, especially not gang-infested. Was your friend from around there? Either way, revenge is never the answer, as this shit just escalates. Do your friend’s memory justice, and let him rest in peace.

Edit: I just remembered that this is a couple of blocks from Casablanca, which isn’t the suburbs, but isn’t the ghetto by any means. I assume you guys from from around there?

[quote]nopal_juventus wrote:
What the fuck, this is 15 minutes from my house. I know that neighborhood,
I used to live off Lincoln near Arlington High, and it’s not dangerous at all (it’s a suburbian white area, off victoria where all the orange groves are). This kind of thing usually happens in SB, not around here.

I’m sorry for your loss Mazilla, but in all honesty that’s not a rough neighborhood, especially not gang-infested. Was your friend from around there? Either way, revenge is never the answer, as this shit just escalates. Do your friend’s memory justice, and let him rest in peace.

Edit: I just remembered that this is a couple of blocks from Casablanca, which isn’t the suburbs, but isn’t the ghetto by any means. I assume you guys from from around there?[/quote]

it’s not your typical “ghetto” with housing projects, but it is a mexican mafia hotspot. as well as casa blanca, the east side (14th street)and the northside(black neighboorhood) are getting pretty hot, especially since they are seperated by basically one main street. just because YOU dont see the trouble doesnt mean it’s not there, it just means that you are not. there is a night and day difference between where you lived “arlington heights” area, and the place i’m talking about. the same goes for the east side of riverside, i have had 2 friends shot there as well. one died R.I.P. “birdie”, and the other managed to drive himself to the hospital seeing as he was shot from car to car. i have a friend on the same block that has been robbed at gunpoint three times in the last 2 years, IN HIS OWN HOME. but thats what happens when your the herb man, and people think your weak(or weaker than their gang “ESR”).there is nothing “white suburban” about cb, the east side, and pretty much the whole of downtown. it’s all gangsters, crackheads, prostitutes, and the like.take my advice and stay out of those areas, especially if your not used to dealing within them.

Data collected by Project Bridge shows that since the early 1990?s the city of Riverside has experienced an increase in gang membership and gang activity. In 1991, Riverside had approximately 82 gangs with 1500 active gang members. Today, there are 86 gangs with 5,000 members. Ten of these gangs are primarily comprised of youth under the age of 18 and reportedly 1,000 members are juveniles. Gang-related crime on the street and in the schools has become major concern for Riverside citizens. Locally, in the City of Riverside, three neighborhoods experience the highest incidents of youth crime. These neighborhoods are Eastside, Arlanza, and Casa Blanca. While the juvenile crime rates dropped dramatically between 1994 and 1997 for these areas, since 1998, juvenile crime rates have exhibited a gradual and steady rise. In 2000, Casa Blanca had a crime rate of approximately 40 per 1000 youths. Arlanza had a crime rate of approximately 18 per 1000 youths, and Eastside had a crime rate of approximately 30 per 1000 youths. Of these three areas, the Eastside?s problems are compounded by a jobless rate that is the highest in the City at 25.1% and the lowest educational attainment in the City with 32% of the population having less than a 9th grade education.

here are some more “fun facts” about riverside.

http://www.riversideca.gov/rpd/press/pr.html

thanks again everybody for your kind words, they are greatly appreciated. i have chosen not to pursue this, especially since i am so far away and the information i get here has been cloudy at best.i am going to head down to riverside this weekend (work shit prevented me from going already). i’ll make a few stops and see what i can find out.