Lost Season Finale

Anyone watch Lost? See the season finale? Thoughts? Theories? Questions? Observations?

* What happened when Juliet detonated the hydrogen bomb?
* Was it the hydrogen bomb or the peirced magnetic pocket that indirectly caused the crash of Oceanic flight 815?
* Why did Jacob leave his cabin?
* Who are Illana and her crew, and why are they referring to themselves as "the good guys?"
* What does Ben know about the destruction of the statue?
* Why does Jacob say to Ben, "What about you"?
* Who was the man talking to Jacob on the beach?
* How did the trading ship find the island?
* Who broke the circle around the cabin?
* Why did Jacob arrange events to lead up to different people returning or reaching the island?
      * Was is Jacob or the entity that can take on other's appearance? 
* Did Christian Shepard actually speak for Jacob, or was that part of Jacob's enemy's "long con"?
* What is the rule that needs a loophole in order to kill Jacob?
* If Jacob lives under the statue, who lives in Jacob's Cabin?
* How did the unknown man from the beginning scene take on Locke's appearance/form, or what is the 'loophole'?
* Why did Jacob choose (and heal) John Locke, knowing the potential consequences thereof (assuming his knowledge is not limited to linear time)?
* What did Jacob's Enemy have to do to find the "loophole"?
* Is Jacob really dead, being immortal as he is? 

I’m gonna see it later today, thats for sure! Hope I can avoid the spoilers untill then :slight_smile:

I was about 20 minutes in and said to the wife if the season ending cliff hanger is going to be right when the bomb goes off, I’m going to be so frickin’ pissed. Now of course I’m not pissed enough to stop watching it next year…

This whole show has just turned into a big mind-fuck and I have a feeling the series finale next year will end with Rob Lowe and Adam West in their pajamas in twin beds saying good night to each other.

DB

Here be Spoilers******

Here’s my two cents. I think that the man who we first saw with Jacob represents “evil” and Jacob represents good. BigEvil can take the form of the dead, i.e. Locke, and I think it is BigEvil who was parading around as Christian and Claire.

[quote]

• What happened when Juliet detonated the hydrogen bomb?[/quote]
    Not sure about this. With the white flash, and Jacob’s statement of “They’re coming” I think it is possible the past-future group is about to jump to the present time, and they have something to accomplish in the present. I think they are sort of Jacob’s champions, and he sent them to do something in the past, and now that they finished, they will jump forward to accomplish their present-tense goal, which is possibly killing BigEvil (showing Jacob was always a step ahead)

One crackpot sidenote is that Jacob’s tapestry depicted an Egyptian “winged sun” which is tied to Horus, God of the Sky and Sun, and Jacob’s champions all arrived by air.

I think Oceanic 815 still crashes, and it was likely a combination of the two that had to happen.

I don’t believe this was Jacob in the cabin ever. I think that the cabin (and ash circle) were a prison for BigEvil, as evidenced by the fact that ghost Christian was in the cabin when Locke went there a few seasons ago, and BigEvil’s trick is playing dead people. (Which as an aside, means BigEvil has some plan for Hurley, and possibly Miles, although BigEvil was probably just trying to intimidate Hurley into not coming back)

Something interesting about Jacob living in the statue is that Richard’s answer to “what lies in the shadow of the statue?” was translated as “He who will save us all.”

No idea about this one.

No idea…It is possible that the destruction of the statue happened in the event that lead to this BigEvil being trapped in the cabin. The ash surrounding the cabin could be made of parts of the Anubis statue, which somehow keep BigEvil at bay. Notice how DeadLocke was actually this BigEvil character, who must have known where Jacob lived, yet needed Richard to open the door, or break the “ash” that kept BigEvil from entering.

To incite him. Part of his plan is to die. I think to kill BigEvil, Jacob also needs a loophole, and has his own plan in place. As soon as Jacob saw Ben, he knew he could be killed by him, which is possibly why Jacob never was close to Ben before.

The island’s version of Lucifer, or Anubis. He is the Evil to Jacob’s Good.

I bet it is in the Navigator’s journal that Widmore bought at auction. I wish we knew what it said! Whatever it said was good enough for Widmore to navigate the freighter to the island.

I think this happened after Locke’s visit.

I think Jacob has his own plan to kill his evil counterpart.

I think it is the evil entity. It is possible that the evil entity is the smoke monster also, because we know that the smoke monster can take on the form of the dead, ie Alex telling Ben to do whatever “Locke” says, which obviously furthers BigEvil’s plan.

I think Christian is not part of Jacob’s plan, but rather his enemy’s.

Ben was born on the island. He told Juliette that he was the last child born there (aside from Aaron, and if we remember ghosty Claire told Kate to never bring Aaron back, it is possible that Claire is dead and being “worn” by the BigEvil who understands the loophole, and is afraid of Aaron)

I think “Jacob’s” cabin is actually Rose and Bernard’s cabin, and for some reason they left when the BigEvil was trapped there (after 1977, but before 2004)

He is a satan type character, giving him some sort of dominion over the dead. The statue is of Anubis, so it is possible that this evil character is Anubis.

It is possible that Jacob’s own death is required to kill his evil counterpart and Jacob understood that, and made that sacrifice.

If Jacob’s enemy is the smoke monster, then he could have figured it out when child-Ben was taken to him to be healed (and subsequently had his soul taken)

haha I have no idea!

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
This whole show has just turned into a big mind-fuck and I have a feeling the series finale next year will end with Rob Lowe and Adam West in their pajamas in twin beds saying good night to each other.

DB[/quote]

Awesome Family Guy reference. The kind that would be found in, well, Family Guy.

I just had a thought about the question of whether the drilling caused Oceanic 815 to crash, and the nuclear bomb prevents that, or if the nuclear bomb is part of the event…

Back in season 2, when Jack and Sayid were crawling under the Swan, Sayid says that the last time he saw concrete that thick was in Chernobyl. This indicates the Swan has some type of nuclear reactor in it.

For the Swan to even be built, something had to neutralize the crazy magnetic effect for a time, otherwise, construction would be impossible. Eventually the hatch is blown up when Desmond hits the “oh shit” button, which neutralizes the magnetic effect by means of an enormous explosion.

I think that the magnetic effect of the island can be temporarily paused by nuclear reactions, and the Swan was a nuclear station that would initiate a small reaction every 108 minutes to keep the magnetism at bay. The Dharma Initiative knows that as a last resort, they can halt the magnetism for a longer time by a nuclear explosion or meltdown. How do they know this? In 1977 there was a nuclear explosion that halted the magnetic effect long enough for the Swan to be built.

Ergo, the 1977 explosion changes nothing about Oceanic 815 crashing, and is instead a necessary means of keeping the magnetism at bay long enough for 815 to arrive. Jack guaranteed that the flight would crash by exploding the bomb.

What’s up with the guitar Hurley is hauling around with him?

This show should have been one episode long and called “Crashed”.

…Now excuse me while I change into my flame-retardant jumpsuit. You LOST fans can get vicious.

This season wasn’t very good, imo. In all honesty, they probably should’ve ended things after the end of last season.

I really am not looking forward to the final season but knowing that it is the final season, I will likely trudge through to the end since I’ve come this far.

Jacob represents free will.

The finale left us with no questions answered and only another dozen new ones! As Djwlfpack mentioned, Im not looking forward to next season but I feel like I owe it to myself to find out what the hell happens in the end.

Regarding the crash of flight 815 I dont see how its possible for it to be caused by the detonation, after all, woudnt there be just a little bit of residual damage left over from the explosion?? But then again were talking about lost so absolutely nothing has to make sense!

This season had a lull for a few episodes near the beginning, but I’ll be damned if it didn’t return to it’s old form.

Great finale.

And what is “dead” to someone like Jacob? What does it consist of to him? To answer that, you have to explain what life is and niether science or philosophy has managed to adequately do that.
But even if that weren’t so ambiguous the question after that would be what does " our defining" of what life is apply to Jacob who, except for eating a fish and seeming to die like an ordinary man, doesn’t appear to display any other characteristics. He is not subject to space or time or age. He works miracles, sometimes on the other side of the world, which suggests that he is aware of things that happen in places where the body that we saw die is not present. He lives in the bottom of an ancient statue lit by a fire that is burning without any wood in it, and which shows no sign of habitation except for Jacob’s bizarre hobby of weaving.

I like to think of jacob as the embodiment of a concept, and therefore he did not die at all, but the concept merely ceased to be embodied

[quote]Rhino Jockey wrote:
Anyone watch Lost? See the season finale? Thoughts? Theories? Questions? Observations?

* What happened when Juliet detonated the hydrogen bomb?
  Realistically, anyone standing near the shaft would have been vaporized. Will this have changed the future? Probably not. It actually probably caused the whole thing in the frst place. Personally I absolutely DO NOT expect next season to begin with the Losties back on the plane, right as rain, with kate in handcuffs and all that. No way.
* Was it the hydrogen bomb or the peirced magnetic pocket that indirectly caused the crash of Oceanic flight 815?
Probably the bomb opening up the pocket.
* Why did Jacob leave his cabin?
 Jacob was never in the cabin. The dude with the black shirt was. The non - Jacob side of that conflict. You see, when Ben took Locke to that cabin it was for the purpose of fooling Lock into thinking he was talking to someone Locke could not see. He said he did it because he was embarrassed about not having seen Jacob. The trouble is that nither Locke nor Ben Linus seem to realize that they are batting for the wrong side. 
* Who are Illana and her crew, and why are they referring to themselves as "the good guys?"
  They are claassic OG original Jacobian Others. There are two kinds of Others that are the participants in a struggle between two forces: Jacob and the desire for people to live on the island and enjoy it's power simply  like Rose and Bernard or the ones that want to fight and kill and experiment with it.
* What does Ben know about the destruction of the statue?
  Not a damn thing. Just like he said.
* Why does Jacob say to Ben, "What about you"?
  Jacob said that because he knows no matter what he said the outcome would be the same. He has probably always known. ALSO to tell Ben the truth would only hurt him more. And Jacob knows all too well how Ben has suffered in life. 
* Who was the man talking to Jacob on the beach?
  The bad guy. A force and a power like Jacob himself. Confined to a derelict cabin in the jungle by folk magik in the circle of ash.
* How did the trading ship find the island?
  Jacob did it. He wants people to come to the island, to live on it and enjoy it. The other guy diesn't. That's the nature of the conflict between them.
* Who broke the circle around the cabin?
  Maybe an animal, maybe Locke, who knows?
* Why did Jacob arrange events to lead up to different people returning or reaching the island?
 This is one of those things that is just impossible to know. I think he may  have saw the future and just wanted to meet the players before they actually got involved. He seems nearly omniscient.
        I am sure they both can, but I think it was almost the other entity; the dude with the black shirt. He tried to lure Hurley and Jack off of cliffs. He led Ekko to the monster. Trust me, that's not Jacob's deal. 
* Did Christian Shepard actually speak for Jacob, or was that part of Jacob's enemy's "long con"?
 The latter. definitely. good call.
 It's probably not a rule... ti's probably more like a way around a rule. The guy int eh black shirt can't kill Jacob, but he can trick someone else into it.
* If Jacob lives under the statue, who lives in Jacob's Cabin?
  His eternal enemy. The guy inthe black shirt. The one that wants NO PEOPLE on the island.
* How did the unknown man from the beginning scene take on Locke's appearance/form, or what is the 'loophole'?
  Already covered that. And as for how, I would guess that the enemy is like a ghost that has all the islands power at his disposal... Something like that.
* Why did Jacob choose (and heal) John Locke, knowing the potential consequences thereof (assuming his knowledge is not limited to linear time)?
Because John Locke was agood guy until he was killed. The John Locke that we have seen after the death of teh real John Locke is actually just someone using a recreation of his body, like he did with Christian Shepard.
* What did Jacob's Enemy have to do to find the "loophole"?
  Answered that already.
* Is Jacob really dead, being immortal as he is? [/quote]
 See my post above.

[quote]Rktman wrote:
What’s up with the guitar Hurley is hauling around with him?[/quote]

The devil is going to make the oceanic six play the “best song in the world” or he’ll eat their soul. Hurley will then play it and the beast will be stunned and defeated.

That’s the only insight I have about what is happening with this show. I am so freakin confused.

If you really want to be confused, goto http://www.lost.com and goto their message board. There are some theories on there that you’ll need to take a handful of ibuprofen and take a nap after reading.

Oh, how I hate this show…TVCrack, you know it’s bad for you, but you cannot stop.
anyway:

• What happened when Juliet detonated the hydrogen bomb?
    everything will happen as already seen (in fact, in seems, there never was a different timebranch)

• Was it the hydrogen bomb or the peirced magnetic pocket that indirectly caused the crash of Oceanic flight 815?
      see borrek’s post

• Who are Illana and her crew, and why are they referring to themselves as “the good guys?”
      they are probably aware of the “plot” and evil guy’s doings. Either them or the others are the crew of the Black Rock.

• Why does Jacob say to Ben, “What about you”?
      Perhaps just a way to communicate that he’s not special or more brilliant then his next man and to illustrate his superbia.

• Who was the man talking to Jacob on the beach?
      His divine/outworldy archenemy, whoever his name is.

• How did the trading ship find the island?
      Jacob lured them and pulled some strings somehow, as he did with the losties

• Why did Jacob arrange events to lead up to different people returning or reaching the island?
      the big question, probably to save his ass in the future (a la reincarnation or so).
      The black clad guy wants to kill him badly. Somehow he can’t and both are powerful beings. Don’t know if there’s a divine bet involved or aliens or whatever, but both need apparently some agents to wage their litle war.

def. the other (black) guy. Jacob comes across perhaps not as a true and openly saviour/healer type of person, but he’s close.
Whereas the black dude has murder written all over him. He’s closely connected to the smoke and in contrast to Jacob, uses people’s past to control them. Watch as he solely manifests as a deceased someone feels guilty for. For instance Yemi(?)'s persona was used used until Mr. Eko openly stated he cannot feel guilty anymore. At that moment the smoke appeared and killed the poor schmoh. Apparently, people who move forward and atone or can forgive themselves, are useless or dangerous.

see above.

good question-perhaps borrek is right. It’s def. connected to the game/bet/struggle between the two, and why they simply can’t kill each other/control humans directly

Assuming there are no alternative timeline rules, perhaps his intellect is capable of outsmarting the other?

* Is Jacob really dead, being immortal as he is? 

If the egyptian theme is consistant, then Osiris’ (you know, the one dude all the abrahemic gods stole from) ressurection/ reincarnation will be a theme here