T Nation

Lost One

I have read the 7 habits article along with some other articles and I am still up in the air about how to start.
Questions…what amount of cals should I aim for. protein,fat,carbs amount, what supplements to take and pre workout food and post workout food.
My goals are to maintain myself at 170 but just reduce my waist while maintaining some muscle so when I want to go bulk i can bulk xtremley clean and gain min fat but max muscle.
number;
5’8" 173lbs 18%-20% BF

I see you have read the 7 habits, but are you living by them?

Don’t think that you have to do everything at once… apply the 7 habits and while that is becoming second nature, maybe log your eating for a while to get a handle on your current calorie consumption.

That, along with some articles that give advice on choosing calorie levels should help you out. You can then adjust your intake to move towards your goals.

I highly recommend.http://precisionnutrition.com/

[quote]CaroJ wrote:
I have read the 7 habits article along with some other articles and I am still up in the air about how to start.
Questions…what amount of cals should I aim for. protein,fat,carbs amount, what supplements to take and pre workout food and post workout food.
My goals are to maintain myself at 170 but just reduce my waist while maintaining some muscle so when I want to go bulk i can bulk xtremley clean and gain min fat but max muscle.
number;
5’8" 173lbs 18%-20% BF
[/quote]

Those are tough questions to answer. Your main focus, I believe, should be on the 7 habits alone. For now forget all the supplements. Especially since it sounds like you want to maintain your wieght, but shift your body comp a bit. I would however consider "supplements" such as fish oil and anything that would help improve your sleep quality.

If you have never kept a food log before, I would cosider starting one. This will determine how many calories you require. No one on this board can answer that question better than you.

Don't focus too much on your macronutrient count right now. Just focus on getting a good quality protein source, a heaping pile of veggies, and some good fat with each meal. The rest will take care of itself.

These are just some things I've picked up throught the years of trying to apply the 7 habits to my diet. You have to realize two things though. Number one your not always going to be 100% on this stuff. You will screw up from time to time. But you have to remember, number two, this is a life long commitment. You are either in this for the long haul or not at all. This is not an over night fix. I hope this helps.

When i said supplements I meant natural ones, besides vitamins, fish oils sounds good anything else I should take.