T Nation

Lost My Job

I am a patriot so it pains me to say this, but Corporate America Sucks ! ! ! I love capitalism. But the spineless weasels of middle management are the plageu of this system. Let me explain my situation.

I was hired by this company last September or October. Upon being hired I was told that I was a full time employee, but for this company full time employees were only guaranteed 30 hours per week. Ok, I really needed 40 hours, but I’m desperate. Ok everything is cool. After 90 one of my managers (who happens to be the friend that got me the job) asks the assistant store manager about my vacation and sick time. He says to that I have 1 week of vacation time and 6 sick day plus 6 paid holiday.

Ok still cool. I get paid for New Years Day. Used a sick day when I needed a fex extra hours one week. And took a scheduled day off. At the begining of January the managers voted me employee of the month for the month of December and I get a little $50.00 gift card. Then in Febuary they start cutting my hours. No explination. They’re just cut. I here from the department managers that our pay roll has been cut.

OK, well all of the other FT employees are still getting their 30 hours a week. So I ask if the another department needs some help, you know trying to get my hours up. After about a week of this one of the assistant store manager get all confrontational with me about me about how I need to quit asking for hours. And I kindly inquire as to why I’m the only FT employee that has to go beging for hours. She informs me that I am a part time seasonal employee. She goes to the office and grabs what she says is my folder. And it plainly says “my name” and “part time seasonal”.

Now I’m kind of suspicious of this because all this is written in her hand writing. But I saw when the folder was filled out and it was done by someone else (my immediate supervisor/the person who hire me).

Then the next week my hours are cut again. And they a hire some new chick in my department. And schedule her for hours that I’m available to work. Hours that I had been asking for.

Finally this past saturday I have to leave because of chest pain. Turned out be just an anxiety attack, but still when you chest hurts and your arm feels numb it kinda makes you worry. I show up for work this week on my scheduled day only to find that my name has been removed from the schedule and the hours have been given to the new girl. None of the department managers know anything about it. I’m told that I have to call the store manager at 1:00 today.

Well, yesterday I made a complaint to Corporate HR. And called my boss today and my boss basically told me that because I left last week with chest pain that I was not going be scheduled. Ok, isn’t that illegal. I told the store manager that I was leaving and asked that they call my department manager and notify them.

Am I crazy or does this just seem wrong?

Well, it all sucks, but all I can suggest is find another place to work.

Not every company is out to ream you, though a lot are.

[quote]Olympiclfter wrote:

Am I crazy or does this just seem wrong?[/quote]

You might want to check out info on Oklahoma’s “Right-to-Work” laws.

As to what happened, perhaps ethically wrong (we’d need to know the other side of the story and HR policy first, of course), but illegal? I’d be surprised. Depending on the size of the organization, and most with separate HR teams are usually fairly decent sized, the HR groups usually have their stuff together when it comes to legal issues. They may screw other things up, but they typically do what they can to keep lawyers at bay…at least in my (not incredibly vast) corporate experience.

Matt

What??

[quote]Olympiclfter wrote:
What??[/quote]

I guess that was for me? I was addressing the statment about it being “wrong” (I assumed you meant ethically wrong) as well as when you said “Ok, isn’t that illegal” as it relates to Oklahoma’s labor law. I’m not altogether familiar with the Right-to-Work laws in our state, I mainly know about what effects me personally.

I admit that my earlier post may have sounded a bit odd, I was caught in the middle of posting with an issue at work that threw me off my train of thought for a while.

Matt

Good Luck finding another job.

My advice is cut your loses and move on. You sound like a good guy and a hustler who wants to work and make a good living. A company always has a place for people who want to work hard. You just got to find one that you have a good fit with.

If you are a young guy and don’t have to worry about supporting a family…take a shot and do something you really love or think you can make your mark at doing.

Don’t despair…keep hitting the gym. Make looking for a new job a full time proposition. Think about those poor saps who are stuck there why you are on to bigger and better things.

I am not blowing smoke up your ass either. Keep the faith in yourself and prove the sob’s wrong.

CAn you get some kind of union representation to discuss grievence proceedure, or maybe arbitration.

If they want you out, they shuld pay $ bills to get you gone. I assume you dont have a copy of a contract, well surely they are remiss in employing you without one, and as such are not achieving their duty to you as an employee.

also, to be dismissed wiyhou an appropriate chain of discipline is dodgy, and this can even be said in cases of gross misconduct.

[quote]miniross wrote:
CAn you get some kind of union representation to discuss grievence proceedure, or maybe arbitration.

If they want you out, they shuld pay $ bills to get you gone. I assume you dont have a copy of a contract, well surely they are remiss in employing you without one, and as such are not achieving their duty to you as an employee.

also, to be dismissed wiyhou an appropriate chain of discipline is dodgy, and this can even be said in cases of gross misconduct.[/quote]

You definitely do not understand the South. Unions are rare in the South, and generally looked at as the refuge of the lazy man.

I’ve only had one job in my life where I actually had a contract. Most of the time you work at-will. You can leave when you want, and you can be fired for any or no cause.

Best buy huh?

OL:

One thing that people tend to not do at times like this is to look at themselves…

You know why? It’s not easy…and the answers we get about ourselves are not always pretty…

This is ESPECIALLY true if you are young…do it now…What could I have done better? How do I come off to people? What kind of first impression do I make?

If you don’t do this type of introspection, you’ll be one of those guys who changes jobs every other month…and blames others for their problems…

Keep you head up, and good luck!

Mufasa

If that is the case, you knew what you were going into! Stop whining and get a new job. Maybe WITH a contract this time.

[quote]MSU Nate wrote:
Best buy huh?
[/quote]

I was going to say the same thing. Is that who you’re talking about?

[quote]miniross wrote:

also, to be dismissed wiyhou an appropriate chain of discipline is dodgy, and this can even be said in cases of gross misconduct.[/quote]

Hmm, I think the cultural gap is way too big here. Granted, I learned everything from Eastenders, but a pensioner would never be seen over here. Almost everyone that’s been promised a pension has had it slashed/taken away.

Call your local Labor Board. They are part of the Department of Labor. If the company is wrong they can force them to re-instate you, pay you restitution, fine them or any number of things based on their ruling. They ar ein the Government pages. If you can’t find them, hit www.google.com

[quote]Mr. Moose wrote:
I’ve only had one job in my life where I actually had a contract. Most of the time you work at-will. You can leave when you want, and you can be fired for any or no cause.

If that is the case, you knew what you were going into! Stop whining and get a new job. Maybe WITH a contract this time.

[/quote]

I wasn’t bitching. I was explaining to our British friend the way employment works in the South. I think that is the way it should be. If I start a business, I don’t want to be stuck with some lazy or stupid employee.

And I’ve never been fired.

There is the possibility that you actually were seasonal from the beginning. Or that your status was changed. They aren’t supposed to do that without your knowledge, though.

Aside from that, if you haven’t been formally let go, then you need to keep checking in for hours (if you are being removed, then scheduling you and forgetting to let you know is convenient). You also need to talk to your buddy and find out what he thinks, but always remember to follow the chain of command. Talk to your supervisor first. Then his. You can always end up at the store manager, then back to corporate HR.

Your store/company has grievance procedures. I suggest you follow them to the letter. You are in a precarious position, and any misstep can be a problem for you. Check yourself and make sure that you aren’t doing anything incorrectly.

Other than that, I would look for a new job. Hit up the temp agencies and see what they have. Remember that sitting on the couch doesn’t earn you any money. Most of us here have been without. Sucks, but move on.

And PM me if there is anything I can do to help a T-Brother out. I’m on OKC.

[quote]doogie wrote:
Mr. Moose wrote:

I wasn’t bitching. I was explaining to our British friend the way employment works in the South. I think that is the way it should be. If I start a business, I don’t want to be stuck with some lazy or stupid employee.

And I’ve never been fired.
[/quote]

The system used in Sweden where I’m from is (used to be)better. Don’t know if it’s still so cause I left a bit over 10 years ago. Then you got hired on trial for a 3-6 months, during that time you could get fired anytime if you didn’t “behave”. After the trialperiod they had to hire you or sack you. That way the “lazy and stupid” people got weeded out. Worked OK.

In an earlier post you wrote that unions are the refuge of the lazy man. In Sweden unions can’t help you much if you don’t do your job. If the company have a good case against you, you get sacked anyway.

Seems like the union work a bit different over there.

You don’t want to associate yourself with low character. You may want to make their lives miserable - but, other than that, leave them in their little hole.

Let me give you two suggestions (none of which you may choose to take - but just so you they’re there):

1. Stack Tester (a.k.a., environmental technician) - good paying job that more often than not offers overtime. It consists of some lab work, but the bulk of it remains to climb stacks (where the smoke comes out of in the factories) and test for different pollutants. It’s a challenging job.

2. Air Force Reserve. As an aircraft mechanic in the Air Force Reserve, you can request to be put on orders. From all accounts you may expect $1000 every two weeks for pay, plus $38/day per diem if you live over 50 miles away. It’ll ammount to roughly $3,000 for the lower ranks. If you join a ‘critically manned field’ you’ll receive the bonus. I also get $640/month each month I attend college full time.
    I’m not trying to recruit you, but know the benefits are there. I joined to servemy country, but every once in a while I just stop and note there is no way in hell I would be back in college - and be able to save during the summer at my base, so I son’t have to work during the semesters. It’s incredibly helpful. Again, just so you know it’s there.

Unions in the UK have their uses, mainly if you are in public sector employment.

Their advantage here for me would be in cases where employment law was involved. Most HR departments have a poor understanding of it, and they can barely operate their own disciplinery rules. Having a union rep in a meeting with your employer means they cant take the piss, puts you in a stronger position than if they weren’t there.

Of course, if you have slept with the bosses daughter whilst bunking off work, then that may be trickier, but i do believe that they have a place. I my industry it is not uncommon for dubious dismissals to occur, so i have that in my back pocket.