Lost Lifter #1,000,000,000

Okay,

Facts:

1. I’m exhausted.
  2. My hamstrings cannot stretch.
  3. My shoulder joints are like engines without any oil.
  4. I don’t know how much I should eat.
  5. I have no strength.
  6. I work out way too much and I don’t eat near enough to support growth.
  7. I’ve read too many books about lifting.
  8. Lifting six times a week is too much.
  9. I can’t stop lifting and I can’t leave the gym until I finish every rep.
  10. I don’t care about a six pack, I don’t lift for girls and I don’t really know that much about lifting.

Those are all the things that I’m too afraid to say out loud. That felt kind of good.

I seriously focus too much of my time on stupid ass movements that will never put an ounce of muscle on me. I eat like a fucking anorexic rabbit and my support for lifting is non-existent.

I have made steps in the right direction. I started doing back squats, I began working on power cleans, and my deadlifting is getting slightly better.

Then again I have taken some steps back. I count every calorie. Every small pain or stretch and I’m afraid it’s all over. I’m living in fear of the bar instead of overcoming it.

The results on my liver testing is still up in the air. I’m running 11 miles a week for my job and I’m not putting any of the necessary calories back in to support that.

Sorry if I’m kinda just blabbering. I just need some help, some advice, a word of encouragement from any fellow lifter. I’ve driven myself this far and I’m just looking to do better and I don’t know how.

I have been lifting a year and five months and after all the information that I have read and all the stuff I’ve heard I’m just a little bit fried.

Just private message me or leave a message here. I’ll answer any questions you have. I know it’s a pretty large demand but any advice or tips or help would be great.

-An exhausted/fed up Hawk

Lift 3 times a week.

Maybe a Waterbury programm.

Eat 3 solid meals a day, have snacks in between.

Get enough sleep, drink less alcohol.

Buy an omega3 supplement and swallow it religiously.

Do that for 3 months and see how it works.

The key to overcoming plateaus is resting more. So do so.

Open mouth, insert food. Every little morsel you can find. With your extreme cardio I think you can spare some calories.

1 gram of protien per pound of body weight per day. PERIOD.

Eat Breakfast. Make it your biggest meal of the day.

Any specific questions feel free to PM.

At 52 years, I’ve had some experience with all the probs you list.

Sounds like you are overtraining. Take a break.

Start back up with simple full body workout 3x per week. I like Cosgrove’s “minimalist” workout:

Exercises:

1. Wide grip deadlift
    2A. Dumbell Incline Press
    2B. Wide Grip Cable Row
    3A. Wide Grip Lat Pulldown
    3B. Swiss ball pike.

Mon: 4 sets, 5 reps, 90 sec. rest.
Wed: 2 sets, 15 reps, 30 sec. rest.
Fri: 3 sets, 10 reps, 60 sec. rest.

Do this for a few weeks before adding anything else.

Eat like you’re about to become homeless tomorrow.

You just said everything that you’re doing wrong, so you obviously know where you should be focusing. Pick a popular program off this site and try it out.

Results take time, give everything a couple monthes before going into denial again.

Your muscles are dying to minipulate the weights, the weights are your bitch, make them accept. Also get an MP3 player with some of your favorite songs and try some hardcore shit to help give you a boost in the gym.

Stick with it.

The two most important things you should do are get more sleep (with the amount you work, try to get at least 8, if not 10), and eat more. I’m talking, 3000, 4000 calories more. Hell, if it takes eating a pizza every other day, do it, I don’t think you’re at the point where you can be picky about calories, as long as it’s not all donuts and candy.

The next steps would be to stop overtraining. Do a three times a week, full body workout that lasts about 45-60 minutes. Choose around 4 movements, two lower body, two upper body, to do each day. Stick to the big compound lifts, but don’t fuck up your nervous system. You’ve only been training for a year and a half. I think anyone will call you a newbie still. I know that I will never stop being a newbie until I have 4-5 years under my belt.

And finally, don’t worry so much. I’m sure with less stress from the workouts, more sleep, and more energy from the food, this won’t be as big of a problem. In fact, I honestly believe with proper diet and sleep, stress practically does not exist. But until then, just relax and understand that life isn’t all lifting.

we’re pulling for you, I’m sure many can sympathize with where you’re at. And finally, don’t be a pussy. T-Men overcome. Do just that.

Good luck man.

Don’t think, “These are all the things that are wrong.”

Think, “These are the things that I know are not right.”

You are lucky in that you know what isn’t working.

Do the opposite.

Try full-body workouts. Or HIT. Or One Lift a Day. Or Escalating Density. Or DoggCrap. Something, anything new.

If you’ve been going heavy for low reps, go light(er) for higher reps.

Find some food you love. Put hot sauce on EVERYTHING!

Change your gym (if you can.)

But, most of all: don’t try to tackle everything at once. Baby steps.

Why do you run 11 miles a week for your job? What do you do?

Why not take a week off from everything and try to do nothing but what you have to do (for work). Then, do the Danny John “One Lift a Day” so you can still go to the gym everyday, but really follow DJ’s recommendations on how to do it right. Try to get 10 hours of sleep every night that week. It is amazing what a restful week does to a tired body.

Then, select a program that focuses on the basics (not a focused hypertrophy program) and just enjoy getting back into it. You should probably plan every fourth week as a rest week going forward. Your long-term health and progress will both benefit from it.

Stop with the calorie counting too. Just pile on more and keep a closer eye on your intake during the rest week.

Find yourself a good training crew, and just show up. Don’t say a word; just follow their lead and roll with the crew. Lifters lift, internet warriors talk about lifting.

You don’t need dietary advice; you just need to pick up the fork. Get after it. :wink:

I have to agree with Orion and his eating advice.

Get your 3 square meals a day and then get int he snacks in between. Keep it simple at first. Between meals drink milk and eat nuts (almonds, cashews, whatever takes your fancy). Once you have done this for a while and it becomes second nature start to add bananas, cream, protein powder, natuaral peanut butter and other such things to your milk.

I find myself with only enough time to eat 3 meals a day so I made milk my friend. Im up to a liter a day and plan to keep going. Dont worry about the finer points just keep it simple until it becomes second nature and then rethink it.