T Nation

Lost.... Just Horribly Lost

I'm in desperate need of some guidance. Being relatively new to lifting, I'm extremely lost.

I'm guessing this guidance will cost me some ridiculing or trolling, but I don't care. The chance of one person helping me out would be worth it. I couldn't be less happy with the results I'm seeing in terms of fitness. I almost just wanna give up and subside on green tea, fruits, veggies, and one cut of meat a day... But I feel like I have potential, I'm just not doing it right.

I'm 21, 5'8", 145 lbs, 10% body fat. I have gained ~ 10 lbs of muscle in the past, but lost it all in course of 1 week. I'm guessing my metabolism is very high. I am willing to eat a whole cow a day I have to.

I am confused because everyone/ thing tells me something different. "Warm up."
"No, just warm up sets or ramped sets."
"Stretch."
"Stretching is dumb, foam roll."
"1g protein/ lb lbm"
"1.5g/ lbm"
"2g/ lbm, and don't count vegetable protein"
"Don't count macros"
"Veggies are catabolic."
"Too much meat is horrible for you"
"Athletes need 9 servings of veggies per day."
"3-5 rep range."
"4-8 rep range."
"6-9 rep range."
"8-12 rep range."
"You don't need that many carbs unless it's around your session."
"To bulk you need 400 go carbs you twat."
"Insulin spike is all bs"
"You won't get insulin resistant even if you load up on it eat meal"
"Train 5 times a week"
"Train 3 times a week"
"Don't train at all u fcking fagget"

And the list goes on....

All I know is, when i competitively irish danced (yes, I truly am a faggot) from age 4-16, practicing 1x a week for 2-3 hours, my legs were more swole than any of my classmates. Didn't work out otherwise and didn't track my diet. Arms were twigs, though.

These days, when i do the high carb high calorie bulking diet, i break out, feel sluggish and unmotivated, and barely see any results. Probably because I give up and concentrate on other things.

If it's any help, I'm currently trying my best to shovel down 2700 calories and fit some veggies in with it, but its mostly carbs, about 140 G protein, and 70 of fat. I'm doing the first workout on the thread "do this dumb routine not that dumb one" on tnation. I think I can keep up with the diet, but I also think the routine is horribly wrong for me.

If you could help me I would be so grateful!!! I just want to have purpose in the gym, eat to recover and have energy, and look good. I don't understand how everyone else finds a way since all the info is all so conflicting.

If I could, I'd just practice irish dancing, and workout the upper body a few times a day, eat instinctively, and make any sort of gains, I would, but I know that it will take a lot more discipline than that. I just need someone to point my in the right direction so I can take a meal plan and training schedule and run with it. I will do anything. I'll buy a whole cow, a juicer, some straps, your sponsor's brand's products... I would basically do whatever.

Sorry this was long winded. I just feel so dumb. Hope someone can help me.

Grant

[quote]makeupalley wrote:
I’m guessing this guidance will cost me some ridiculing or trolling, but I don’t care.[/quote]

wut? I think you’ll find people around here are more interested in empowering you rather than ridiculing you.

Lift and eat :wink:

But really, if you just focus on getting better at the squat (front or back), deadlift, bench press, and overhead press… and just on those, it’ll probably get you most of where you want to be. As you get better at them, it’ll help build the framework so you can make other decisions about how you want to train.

For the bench, squat and OHP, 5x5 is a good way to start. Deadlifts 1x5, every other session. There’s several variations on this theme, but it’s one way to do it. And just keep working on adding weight to the bar. Reading-wise, take a look at the Starting Strength and StrongLifts programs; take a look at Madcow and 5/3/1.

Nutrition-wise, 1+ g/protein per lb bodyweight is a good place to start.

As far as figuring out calories… weigh yourself regularly (1-5 times a week, in the morning, after the bathroom)… and eat so that your bodyweight is going in the direction you want. Tracking that, and tracking your food intake, you’ll get an idea of how many calories that takes for you. Then adjust from there.

Supplement wise… fish oil is good, multivitamin is good.

There are plenty of ways to “optimize” things, and it’s easy to get caught up and confused with all of that. The basics can take you far though. Or at least, take you to a place where you have a better idea of what you’re trying to accomplish and can tweak your routine from there.

[quote]Claudan wrote:

I’m guessing this guidance will cost me some ridiculing or trolling, but I don’t care.[/quote]

wut? I think you’ll find people around here are more interested in empowering you rather than ridiculing you.

[/quote]

ã?½(*ã?»Ï?ã?»)ï¾? that would be awesome. i guess i’m just used to the bb.com forums.

i think i know the roots of my problem…

i’m not eating the foods i like when in surplus
i’m not lifting heavy enough. it’s always been hard for me to find “failure”, and it seems to change from workout to workout.

mhyea. that’s about it. brb fixing it :frowning:

but in all seriousness if someone thinks this routine is too much for me, please tell me!! i just hoped if i ate enough i’d be able to handle it… i’ll probably stick with it for awhile and see if i can!

I’m guessing this guidance will cost me some ridiculing or trolling, but I don’t care.

All I know is, when i competitively irish danced (yes, I truly am a faggot) from age 4-16, practicing 1x a week for 2-3 hours, my legs were more swole than any of my classmates. Didn’t work out otherwise and didn’t track my diet. Arms were twigs, though.

Sorry this was long winded. I just feel so dumb. Hope someone can help me.
[/quote]

Your biggest issue is that you’re self-deprecating to a level that, frankly, I don’t think I’ve ever seen on the internet before.

Stop doing that.

Like Lorez said, doing 1-2 of the major lift + 2-3 assistance lift on every training day is a great way to start.

Read up on training programs like Stronglift 5x5, Rippetoe’s Starting Strength, 5/3/1, etc to understand the principle and choose whichever you want.

And don’t be afraid to gain fat. What you should be worried about is when you’re gaining too much weight while you’re not seeing obvious gains in strength AND changes in your body shape.

This means eat a lot. Just pay attention to the mirror.

Agreeing with LoRez and keep it simple in the beginning. A madcow 5x5 program, run that shit until you cant run it anymore, and then do it again lol. Seriously focus on the big lifts for a year before hitting anything devoted to specific type of lifting. I wish I had when I was young I would have been alot better off, but I didnt know any better. Its been said all the time, eat your ass off, and even get dirty at times to pack on some extra calories.

The Madcow program program is supposedly for intermediates but the linear progression lends itself to beginners gains. I also dont think there is any issue with adding stuff to the program because it frees up time for it, just make sure you finish your meat and potatoes (figuratively and literally) and if you want to do some bro curls do em. You are going to be inundated with info and misinfo. Walk with blinders and concentrate on Squat, Bench, OH Press, Dead and Rows…you would be surprised how when you get experienced you fall back on the basics again…

Good luck, let us know how your doing

Don’t get bogged down in minutia.

1. Focus on the big lifts: Squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press, BB row, pullups/chinups. You can add assistance lifts when you figure out what your body needs to help weaknesses and to add volume later. But make sure you have the big lifts covered and are gradually increasing the weight/work each cycle. Find a program built around these lifts.

2. Eat three big solid meals a day and make sure you have meat with each one. Add a protein shake or snacks in if needed and try and eat some veggies.

3. Get some conditioning in a couple times a week.

4. Make sure you are consistent with at least 1 and 2 week in and week out forever (deloading when needed or as scheduled).

Repeat: don’t get bogged down in minutia.

thank you all.

yeah i have a problem with the self-depricating thing. need to work on that more than my lifts honestly lol.
i think one of the main things is that i should be doing something like stronglift 5x5 instead. i do have the insatiable desire to do curls and french presses even though after back day (with no assistance lifts) my biceps are more sore than a mother.

do you guys thinks straps are a worth investment? my grip gives out on a lot of things before the actual body part does, so i think i might try them on a couple of the lifts.

eating… could always be better, but i am getting better at it.
seriously, much appreciated.

Regarding straps:

It depends. Straps are quite useful if used right, but can be pretty detrimental to your grip if you overuse them. I’m assuming you’re referring to deadlifts and shrugs. Things like shrugs, rack pulls absolutely use straps. With deadlifting, I would be careful with them, unless you totally don’t give a shit about grip strength. With deads, I like to use double overhand for as heavy as I can keep good form for, then I switch to mixed grip. Back when my grip was my weak point, I would switch to straps when I couldn’t use mixed grip anymore. Also, if you want to fix a weak grip, double overhand deadlifts with a hold on the last rep and farmers walks will do wonderful things for your grip.

Thank you!!!

Here’s the most important thing - don’t miss training days, and put some real honest to god effort into those days. If you can’t, or won’t, do this, then nothing else matters.

I am confused because everyone/ thing tells me something different. “Warm up.”
“No, just warm up sets or ramped sets.”
“Stretch.”
“Stretching is dumb, foam roll.”
“1g protein/ lb lbm”
“1.5g/ lbm”
“2g/ lbm, and don’t count vegetable protein”
“Don’t count macros”
“Veggies are catabolic.”
“Too much meat is horrible for you”
“Athletes need 9 servings of veggies per day.”
“3-5 rep range.”
“4-8 rep range.”
“6-9 rep range.”
“8-12 rep range.”
“You don’t need that many carbs unless it’s around your session.”
“To bulk you need 400 go carbs you twat.”
“Insulin spike is all bs”
“You won’t get insulin resistant even if you load up on it eat meal”
“Train 5 times a week”
“Train 3 times a week”
“Don’t train at all u fcking fagget”

Grant[/quote]
I think we all have felt this way at least at some point in our training lifetimes and I believe damn near anything will work as long as you bust your ass at it and actually believe in it yourself.

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
Here’s the most important thing - don’t miss training days, and put some real honest to god effort into those days. If you can’t, or won’t, do this, then nothing else matters.

[/quote]
“Mother fucker my house is on fire” lolololol

But seriously x2 on the Madcow, GREAT program and I personally should have ran probably at least 2 more 9 week cycles of it AND it has your curls and french presses (skullcrusher?) on Fridays.

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[quote]goochadamg wrote:

[/quote]
“Mother fucker my house is on fire” lolololol

But seriously x2 on the Madcow, GREAT program and I personally should have ran probably at least 2 more 9 week cycles of it AND it has your curls and french presses (skullcrusher?) on Fridays.[/quote]

Madcow worked awesome for me in the beginning. Both the ‘intermediate’ and the ‘advanced’ are good solid programs.

Just so we are on the same page, Madcow is continuation of SL 5X5. So, when you reached the top of SL, you move to Madcow.

And, the cool thing is, if you get the spreadsheet from SL web site, it actually tells you when you should move to Madcow.

Same thing that you start with SS and move to Texas Method.

That is all.

A lot of great advice was already given here. Only thing I will add is I suggest you create a log on here once you decide what you are going to do. That way all of these great guys can continue to help you with whatever you are doing.

A lot of great advice was already given here. Only thing I will add is I suggest you create a log on here once you decide what you are going to do. That way all of these great guys can continue to help you with whatever you are doing.

Good advice all around.

For me it was a matter of STICKING with something for a year. Just pick any of the programs above and stick with them for 1 year. Also, I wouldn’t use straps - I made this mistake at first and stop using them. You’re not strong enough to need them yet. Get your grip strong first.

Lots of great advice being offered already. At the risk of adding to the confusion that was at the heart of the first post, I’ll just add a few bits.

These days, when i do the high carb high calorie bulking diet, i break out, feel sluggish and unmotivated, and barely see any results.[/quote]
If you know that’s how your body responds to very high carbs, presuming the rest of your diet was decent, then avoid very high carbs. Look into the Anabolic Diet as one possible option.

Fatty meats (skin-on chicken, whatever red meat you can afford, tuna/sardines in oil, etc.) and shakes (you can drink 700 calories faster and more often than you can chew it) should make it easier for you to bump up your calories. If your weight isn’t going up each week, you need to find a way to get in more calories.

What, exactly, did you eat yesterday?

You’re always going to find conflicting information because there are tons of paths that all lead to the same goals. As the saying goes, everything works. Best way around it is to limit your intake of brand new info and focus on trial and error, transitioning through training/nutrition methods weeks or months at a time.

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:
…double overhand deadlifts with a hold on the last rep … will do wonderful things for your grip.[/quote]

That’s a good one… going to have to implement it. Been doing something similar w/ a fat bar minus the hold.