T Nation

Lost 4 Pints of Blood, Recovery?

I had a routine Periodontal gum grafting done and they hit an artery in my mouth. I lost 4 pints of blood and ended up having emergency cauterization in my mouth to stop the bleeding. Question is:

What the hell do I do now? My hemoglobin count went from a 15 to a 9 and walking up the stairs wipes me out. Any nutrition, supplement or training advice would help. I am used to lifting heavy low rep compound movements and that is OUT. 95 lbs bench press damn near wiped me out and I’m used to repping out with 225. Deadlifting 315 for reps. This really sucks bad.

Family doctor put me on Iron for my blood. Normal staples in my arsenal are:
Surge Workout Fuel
Surge Recovery
Superfood
Flameout
Power Drive
L-Leucine
Receptormax
Glycine & Phosphatidylserine (to fight cortisol)
ZMA

I may have missed some. I was on a cut before this bullshit happened and was eating 4 oz animal protein at every meal with veggies and only carbs were coming from Surge Workout Fuel and Surge Recovery pre and post workout. My mouth hurts so bad I can only get shakes down.

I’ve been loading them up with natural pb, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil and two kinds of protein (whey & casein) to try and keep my calories deccent. I dropped from 180lbs, 8% body fat to 170, 7.5% body fat in one week and that’s not the kind of cut I was hoping for. It was virtually ALL muscle.

Any advice would be appreciated, I’m severly depressed at what has happened here. Attached is a picture of what they did to my mouth.
BCAA’s

OMG- as if people aren’t afraid enough of dentists, you make this post, thanks.

thanks for the fucked up picture.

drink some water

Lucky man! That was a close call. 4 pts. is a lot of blood to lose.

Stick with the red meat and protein. Nothing wrong with grinding it up first in a food mill and eating it that way.

rest. this lifting stuff is an important part of all of our lives, but the weights will still be there in a month or two, or three. don’t rush the recovery.

The picture is graphic but it shows how serious this was. Suck it up. Offer some real advice besides “drink water”. I have a serious issue here and the uninformative posts do nothing but waste my time.

hedo - good call. I bought a Wendy’s large chili and dumped it in my Bullet Blender with 4oz ground turkey breast. It made a soup so damn delicious I’m upset I hadn’t tried it sooner.

Posts about how you’re scarred of the dentist now and this picture made you sick to your stomach, PLEASE, grow a pair…

Dude a count of nine is not that bad. A normal count is around 14.

You have two options for uping your count. Number one, wait, your body will up it naturally or two, get a transfusion.

How can I offer this advice you may ask?
Well my father has an autoimmune disease that destroys his red blood cells when he is in temperatures lower than 80 degrees. This also includes anything he touches or eats. It all has to be above 80 degrees or else the antibodies in his blood activate and begin shredding his red blood cells.

His count is routinely around 5 or 6 because he won’t obey the rules of his illness. Like you, he feels tired and gives out very easy.

He coded in the ER with a count of 3.9. He recieves tranfusions every week which only bring his count back up to 9. He feels great at 9, but I guess when you hang out at 5 or 6 all the time 9 is fantastic.

Like I said, just give yourself time and your body will level out on it’s own.

I would talk to a doctor before getting advice here. Maybe take some time off from the gym and make the best of it.

Dude I think you should try to get healthy before you get back into working out hardcore. From the sound of this, you need to recover with some rest.

Best advice so far: Talk to a doctor. Don’t put your health in the hands of a bunch of douche bags on the internet!

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
OMG- as if people aren’t afraid enough of dentists, you make this post, thanks.[/quote]

LOL!

[quote]ignignokt wrote:
Best advice so far: Talk to a doctor. Don’t put your health in the hands of a bunch of douche bags on the internet![/quote]

Fuck that.

Walk it off, big guy.

your health is more important than your current cut. also, i don’t think that the advice to drink water was meant to be flippant. water is necessary for blood production. drink up. take it easy. follow the dr’s advice.

hope everything works out for ya

i can’t believe this is actually a question.

rest.

your body will make new red blood cells in your bone marrow, you just have to give it time. i personally would not have touched a weight for at last 3 weeks.

with that said, there is a drug to stimulate your bone marrow to make more red blood cells. i forget what is it called but i am leaning towards Recombinant EPO. I think it is generally for anemics. but i of course could be wrong

[quote]JaX Un wrote:
i forget what is it called but i am leaning towards Recombinant EPO. I think it is generally for anemics.[/quote]

Yes, it’s called EPO. It’s typically used by people with kidney issues…EPO works by getting your bone marrow to make more red blood cells than it usually does. Also the favoured illegal assistance among the endurance crowd. Never thought I’d use this knowledge on a weightlifting board.

Viets, I lost over 5 pints a year ago after being stabbed multiple times in my sleep. It took exactly 100 days for my blood count to return to normal. My advice to you would be to eat all of the red meat you can, take it easy for at least 30 days, and ask your doc about a script for iron pills.

You’re going to have a lot of dizzy spells and shortness of breath for a few weeks at best. Rest as much as you can for now and forget about any physical activity for a month. Good REM sleep and beef are your best friends right now. It sucks. Good luck to ya!

[quote]denv23 wrote:
Viets, I lost over 5 pints a year ago after being stabbed multiple times in my sleep.[/quote]

angry ex?

Shit man - do what it takes to heal. Screw the low carb diet for now. Your body needs carbs, and it’s stealing them from your muscles. Eat milkshakes, milk, applesauce, baby food, lukewarm mashed potatoes - whatever! Save the Surges till you get cleared for activity.

And talk to your doc.

I lost 8 pints when a supposedly routine colonoscopy ruptured my upper large intestine. They had to run a giant tube into the intestine and inflate it to suppress the bleeding. Couldn’t eat steak for months, and certainly couldn’t boogie.

Tube, steak, boogie. I’m calling it.

Happy April Fools dumb asses.

[quote]denv23 wrote:
Viets, I lost over 5 pints a year ago after being stabbed multiple times in my sleep.
[/quote]

Pics or didn’t happen!