T Nation

Lost 2 Pounds on 4200 Calories?

Okay, so last week I increased my calories to 4200 a day, and a week later I’d gained 2lbs. Continued doing what I was doing for another week, hopped on the scales today and I’d lost 2lbs… WHAT??? How the hell can that happen!? I’m 20 y.o., 5ft 11 and 125lbs, how can I not be gaining on 4000+ calories!? Does this just mean simply eating more!? I already eat 7 or 8 meals a day…

Here’s a link to another thread in which I’ve posted my diet…

2 pounds is nothing.

[quote]dyeguy1212 wrote:
2 pounds is nothing.[/quote]

x2, my weight swings up to 5 lbs a day from morning to evening. Did you weigh yourself at the same time and under the same conditions each time?

Have you been pissing boy??

[quote]ninjaboy wrote:
dyeguy1212 wrote:
2 pounds is nothing.

x2, my weight swings up to 5 lbs a day from morning to evening. Did you weigh yourself at the same time and under the same conditions each time?[/quote]
x3

I’ve been through this (trying to lose weight), it wasn’t until I bought my own scales, calibrated them and controlled my weigh in that I knew what results really were. My protocol is:

Weds morning, wake up, take a leak/crap if I need one, weigh myself in just boxers, then have water/supps/food.

Pick a day and keep the variables the same. Hope this helps somewhat.

if i’m working i’d definitly be losing weight at 4200 cals…but to be fair, i’m not 125 lbs…

Osmotic balance might have a lot to do with this. Maybe you ate lots of salty food before you weighed yourself the first time? Maybe you’d drank more water, weighed yourself a different time of day, or any number of possible things. The point is, your weight fluctuates by a couple of pounds throughout the day.

On another note, your metabolism may be fast enough that you don’t gain weight at 4200 kcal. I need about 5200kcal/day to gain weight… Trial and error will show you the way.

you have the metabolism of a hummingbird, holy crap.

125 lbs at 5’11’’??? are you christian bale?

I don’t mean to be a dick, but yeah if you’re losing weight, by definition you’re not eating enough.