T Nation

Loss of Motivation

I’ve been having problems the past couple of months. I’ve been finding myself not in the gym as much. I wok shift work for ConocoPhillips as an operator.
My routine is this

Monday- Chest
Tuesday- Back/shoulders
Wednesday- BI-Tri
Thursday-chest
Friday-back/shoulders
Saturday-bi/tri

I work my legs at work…we have a little total gym type of things…just all machine though

Currently I been finding myself in the gym only 3 times a week…My main question was how long is an okay “break”. And what you guys thought about my current workout…At the moment im only hitting each muscle group once a week.

I can tell that I’ve lost mass over the pat month…Sorry it was a novel a posted here…Waiting on my GF to send me some pics so i can post…im at work…

You losing mass should be enough motivation…

Go into the RMP forum.

You are obviously content with your life right now, I find the times when I really feel motivated are the times in which I feel like im not satisfied with where I am in life.

take a look at your life. what do you want? be honest. do you just want to be in better than average shape? do you want to have abs and shoulders? do you want to compete on stage and do photoshoots?

what do you like more your job or the gym?

i hate when everyone makes these loss of motivation threads. figure out what you want in life and take it. if you want to be a bodybulder you cant be in the gym 3 days a week. you dont seem to be cut out for this shit anyway. lifting weights is a hobby, a recreation. bodybuilding is a lifestyle, a career. learn the difference.

YOu mention your gf in EVERY post you make. A correlation perhaps?

[quote]jeremymoore82 wrote:
I’ve been having problems the past couple of months. I’ve been finding myself not in the gym as much. I wok shift work for ConocoPhillips as an operator.
My routine is this

Monday- Chest
Tuesday- Back/shoulders
Wednesday- BI-Tri
Thursday-chest
Friday-back/shoulders
Saturday-bi/tri

I work my legs at work…we have a little total gym type of things…just all machine though

Currently I been finding myself in the gym only 3 times a week…My main question was how long is an okay “break”. And what you guys thought about my current workout…At the moment im only hitting each muscle group once a week.

I can tell that I’ve lost mass over the pat month…Sorry it was a novel a posted here…Waiting on my GF to send me some pics so i can post…im at work…
[/quote]

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
lifting weights is a hobby, a recreation. bodybuilding is a lifestyle, a career. learn the difference.[/quote]

very wise words. if your in your in, simple.

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
YOu mention your gf in EVERY post you make. A correlation perhaps?

[/quote]

just hit her.

Take a week off.
Get a new girlfriend.
???
Profit! (muscle)

I have periods like that. I might THINK I should go into thee gym and do 30 sets, with 20 hard work sets - but what I FEEL like doing is laying on thee ground, or drinking beer.

at those times I just tell myself : okay self, you can go home and hve a beer, but just go to the gym and do somthing, just do 4 or 5 light sets for tone and then go home. I can live with that.

So I end up going to the gym, and doing 4 or 5 light sets. By then I feel like doing one heavy set, which I do. Then I usually feel like doing more. Most of the time I end up doing something close to my entire planned work out

So I sort of trick myself into the gym by just telling myself i am stopping by for a few easy sets and it usually turns into more. just showing up is half the battle.

and if i do 5 light sets and still want to go home I do.

Sometimes asking too much of yourself makes you want to do nothing

Motivation isn’t something that can be taught or learned. If you don’t want IT, you wont get IT.

This applies to everything in life. What you get is what you put in. Only you can make the decision to follow a stricter weightlifting regimen.

If you are unconcerned about losing muscle, than maybe you aren’t cut out for this. Personally, I have had to fight hard for every gram of muscle on my body, and I would be going crazy if I lose any.

To end this post I will give you this quote - “A gifted man will most likely succeed. A hard worker will most likely succeed. But to be gifted AND hardworking will ensure that man a wave of progress which he will never look back upon as being time wasted.”

How long have you been training? If not very long, then 6 days a week in the gym will put you off from it fairly quickly. And how long are these workouts each?

Look at all the overweight people and those with posture problems. Ask yourself if you want to be forgotten in a sea of walking “statistics.”

op, how long have you trained? What level have you reached?
I mean Stats, bf, measurements etc??

I have been similar to this for a while. Have tried to explain certain things as well. I have also had to work hard for every gram of muscle, and at the moment im finding it hard to ‘get back into it’ after a long holiday.

I think it may be that i am currently focusing on other things right now. I have no debt or mortgage, am planning to move, planning on re-eductaing and am happily married. Where as before the only positive was bodybuilding so it was my focus.

In the past i have found taking a complete break and seeing if your hunger comes back. If you’ve had a serious amount of (naturally developed) muscle then you’ll get back quite easily what you loose.

Training 6x a week is not necessary and is asking for trouble if you have motivation problems. I train 3x a week and make great progress with this. They key is to use a 3x a week program – not putting a few days from a 6x a week program into 3 days.

Doggcrapp training is an example 3x a week program that works great for a lot of people. Well, it’s more than a training program (stretching).

The REAL motivation in bodybuilding, I’ve found, is to EAT every 2-3 hours EVERY day of EVERY week. This is the shift from hobby to lifestyle - and is what’s necessary to make any real progress.

Good luck.

i know its hard sometimes… cooking all my damn meals every fuckin day. the training sometimes as much as i would hate say too gets hard. I know when i start getting bad thoughts in my head what helps me is going to a BB show or watching BB stuff on the internet or even reading things like this forum. YOU GOTTA MAKE IT YOUR WAY OF LIFE! once you decide that bb is your whole life and everything else revolves around that then there is no question. good luck brother