T Nation

Losing Weight Too Fast

Backstory: last year I was 290 pounds I started jogging and in about 7 months lost 120 pounds but became skinny fat as I just did cardio and no weight training I bulked up from 170 pounds to 195 in 7 months and now I'm cutting/ in the past 2 weeks I've lost 10 pounds I do incline walking at 15% incline 3-4 mph for an hour everyday and it says I burn 500-600 cals I don't hold into anything so I think that's right. And full body weights 3x a week am I losing weight to fast/ stats:6.2(188cm)

[quote]Inyasha wrote:
Backstory: last year I was 290 pounds I started jogging and in about 7 months lost 120 pounds but became skinny fat as I just did cardio and no weight training I bulked up from 170 pounds to 195 in 7 months and now I’m cutting/ in the past 2 weeks I’ve lost 10 pounds I do incline walking at 15% incline 3-4 mph for an hour everyday and it says I burn 500-600 cals I don’t hold into anything so I think that’s right. And full body weights 3x a week am I losing weight to fast/ stats:6.2(188cm)[/quote]
Congrats on the initial weight loss. it’s great that you’re not 290 anymore. So, seriously, congrats on that.

Only trouble is, just jogging and no weight training is pretty much guaranteed to have someone end up looking “skinny fat”, which you found out for yourself.

I’m not exactly clear on the time and bodyweight difference between the before and after pics you posted, but I hope it’s not 7 months difference because, honestly, they look pretty much the same.

A couple of things that might get you back on track…

First of all, what, exactly, did you eat yesterday?

Your food (what and how much you eat) is going to be the biggest factor in determining your results. Even without knowing what you’re eating, if you’ve lost 10 pounds in 14 days, you almost definitely need more calories. But really, it’s hard to get into detailed advice without knowing how/what you’re eating now.

Don’t pay much attention to how many calories the machine says you burn during training. First of all, it’s a general guess. Second, and most importantly, calories burned during exercise are only a small part of the picture. What matters much more is how many calories you make your body burn the other 23 hours of the day and the easiest way to increase that number isn’t with “more exercise”, it’s with smart weight training.

I’d chop your cardio down to 20 minutes per session. That alone will go a long way to fixing things. Also, make sure your lifting routine is on track. Full body workouts are great, especially if you’re trying to drop fat, but if it’s poorly designed, you’ll end up just wasting time. Something like this program is an example of how to make it work:

the pics are exactly 2 weeks apart and I’ve lost 10 pounds between them here is my full body routine
Here’s the workout I’ve been doing since I started

Lat pull down(I can only do one pull-up). :Reverse grip lat pull down (like chin-up.) Low row: incline bench / decline bench press Dumbbell flys/ shoulder press dumbbell squats and dumbbell lunges/ I only use dumbbell cuz I don’t have a gym spotter I do all of these for 8-12 reps exept for The squats and lunges witch I do 15-25 reps I usually do 25-30 set per workout

As for diet I eat one big meal a day 2300-3000 cals then fast for 24 hours then repeat
I have the same diet I had when bulking but I am doing cardio to get into a deficit

Everything about this needs to change. Seriously.

Exercise: start to learn how to deadlift and squat with barbells. I have never done so with a spotter and I’m still alive, so don’t worry.
Diet: eat less calories, more frequently, and probably more protein. Creating a deficit via exercise is the most pointless thing you can do, seriously.

I actually have cut my calories back my bad, when I was bulking I was eating 3500-4000 cals now its 2300-3000 I’ve also chaned my workout a little I don’t use lat pull down anymore I just uses bodyweight for pullups/chinups. what I ment was I use cardio to burn fat to lose the weight faster.

but I was worried because I read 1-2 pounds is best to prevent mucle lose I’ve lost 10 in the last 2 week you can’t really tell from the pics but my waist has gone down 1.5 inches and my thighs from 26 inches to 24

When your thighs go down in circumference there’s a good chance it was muscle you lost; most men don’t store that much fat there.

I’ll outline what you’re doing right now and what you should be doing:

• eating 1x/day isn’t the best way to go for most people. Try 3x/ a day with the same amount of food per day.
  • your training is inefficient and your leg work badly programmed. Learn the basic barbell lifts and do them in the 5-10 rep range. Also, just get on a program that’s been written by someone who knows what he is doing.
  • cardio is icing on the cake. Get the lifting&eating in order, then you can worry about it.

Good job on the weight loss. That’s impressive and you’ve taken a huge step towards a healthier lifestyle.

I agree with what others have written. If you want to look better, it’s time to learn how to lift weights and eat properly. Good luck.

[quote]Inyasha wrote:
Lat pull down(I can only do one pull-up). :Reverse grip lat pull down (like chin-up.) Low row: incline bench / decline bench press Dumbbell flys/ shoulder press dumbbell squats and dumbbell lunges/ I only use dumbbell cuz I don’t have a gym spotter I do all of these for 8-12 reps exept for The squats and lunges witch I do 15-25 reps I usually do 25-30 set per workout[/quote]
Okay, yeah, that workout is junk. As soon as possible, start on the program I linked to previously.

That’s a seriously bad plan for fat loss and physique changes. Fasting for a full day and then gorging on one meal? So many things wrong with that “plan” I’m not really sure where to start. Stop it.

The basic “breakfast, lunch, dinner, a shake at some point in the day” is a much better place to start, kinda like Nighthawkz was saying. You can also follow these steps to get back on track:

And you haven’t been happy with the results. Recognize this. Change your training and change your diet to see better progress.

Don’t worry about the calories too much from here (not until you put a satisfactory amount of muscle on).

I recommend a simple lifting program like the one Chris suggested–concentrate on squats and deads. Pullups are excellent for both beginners and the more advanced, and while you’re at it, throw in a pressing motion and a rowing motion. Stick with barbells whenever possible.

You really don’t have to do much to get rid of the “skinny-fat” thing, just a little full-body weightlifting about three times a week will sove this easy–and if you want to get more advanced from there go for it!

I think the way your body looks a bodyrecomposition would fit you perfectly.
I did one with intermittet fasting, basically you overeat on 3 workout (strength trining) days and you undereat on rest days.

I think its perfect for a skinny fat type body.
What i did myself was add a 24 hour fast with it, my mainenance is 2500 cal. So 3days of strength training i ate 3000cal , 3 days of rest i ate 2000 cal and 1 day i ate 0 cal. which is a net results of - 2500 cal a week. which made me lose a little over a kilo a month.

But you can play a lot with the numbers. I suggest you read up on it if your interested. ( intermittent fasting bodyrecompositon)

And great job on losing so much weight ! Since youre so mentally strong to achieve that, you will definitely aquire a great physique in no time with the same type of dedication, good luck.