Losing Weight First Before Lifting?

I have just had a baby and picked up a LOT of weight, that I am having difficulty losing. I have always been “active”, but have never lifted weights. I now would like to start lifting weights, but have heard from others that I first need to lose the weight, otherwise I will develop “wrong”.

What advise can you give me with regards to this??? Thanks

Pick a routine, one that you will enjoy and start lifting today.

Clean up your diet.

Walk every morning and show your kid the world.

Enjoy life with the new baby.

It is that easy. Once you have been consistent for 4-6 months, you can refine your goals.

You can and SHOULD lift weights when trying to lose fat. Congrats on the baby!

Agree with everything JFG said.

You can start lifting weights right now. Your friends don’t know what the hell they are talking about.

Ok so you have a lot of body fat. Well lifting weights is a great way to build muscle and burn fat. Obviously you have to stop eating sugar and transfats but if you get your nutrition right and get onto a good well balanced training program you will start to see some good changes.

[quote]newmommy31 wrote:
I now would like to start lifting weights, but have heard from others that I first need to lose the weight, otherwise I will develop “wrong”.
[/quote]

Just one of those silly pieces of advice that gets repeated too often IMO.

Obviously, take things as slowly as you need to. You recently had the baby, and haven’t used weights before, so you really want to ease into things, BUT, the inclusion of resistance exercise (weights, machines etc) into a weight loss program will be a huge puzzle piece towards achieving your goals.

Simple basic stuff, a little easy cardio, and a smart yet basic diet plan that you can follow with consistency will all add up.

Much congrats!

S

From a purely economic POV, if you can’t even do a bodyweight squat or push-up, the gym probably isn’t needed yet, unless the membership investment will help keep you consistent.

Also, there’s some info and links in this thread:

everyone above has pretty much nailed it.

Thank you all for the advice, I will definitely start some weight training and take it slow in the beginning. I appreciate it!

Losing weight Cardio > Lifting

Losing Fat Lifting > Cardio

Very good info so far.

I’d just add that this is a pretty good step-by-step plan for getting your nutrition in order: