T Nation

Losing Weight and Getting Stronger

I want to know if it’s possible to still gain strength while dropping a few pounds. What are some good meal plans to go by while still trying to gain strength? Any replies are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

I just dropped 30 pounds and didn’t really lose any strength. At least on the bench. Squat and deadlift suffered because I just the day after christmas had surgery and couldn’t do leg work for a month.

before cut/surgery
bench - 305
squat - 345
dead - 345

current
bench - 300
squat - 315
dead - 325

Rather than thinking about how little you need to eat to lose weight, think about how much you need to eat to train hard and recover.

Once you figure out how much you need to eat, make sure you get it every single day.

If you’re committed to eating 300gm of clean protein a day mostly from meals you’ll most likely be force-feeding and won’t have room for junk.

Make this a long-term habit and you won’t need to make too many course-corrections to improve your physique.

It is for a beginner. I lost 20 lbs Between July and November while adding 50 lbs to my bench 1RM. I did make sure I had at least 1g/lb protein during this time period.

What foods are good to eat for lossing wieght.

It’s possible. It depends how fat you are / how much you want to lose.

Carb cycling is usually the best way to go about this. You’ll need plenty of protein & carbs if you hope to improve strength while losing weight.

However, if you are obese or detrained (or both), you can very easily lose bodyfat and increase strength without a lot of effort, just stop eating crap for every meal.

If you are sort of average weight and wanting to lean out while increasing strength, I definitely think carb cycling is the way to go. But if you’re going to try to get really ripped up, it’s gonna be tough to increase your strength at the same time.

[quote]zlloyd wrote:
I want to know if it’s possible to still gain strength while dropping a few pounds. What are some good meal plans to go by while still trying to gain strength? Any replies are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Absolutely. Look into carb cycling.

Jason

[quote]JPeggEFS wrote:

Absolutely. Look into carb cycling.

Jason[/quote]

I agree with Mr. Pegg on this one. I find it easier to maintain/gain with a carb cycling diet than anything else, look into this and read up on nutrient timing too. These are both big in my opinion as they play with insulin sensitivity which is clutch when it comes to your situation.

I weighed 260 and competed in the 275 weight class, and I cut 40 pounds and dropped to the 220’s. Here’s my best meet lifts in each class

275’s
540 SQ
369 BP
474 DL

220’s
585 SQ
375 BP
475 DL

Yes it’s possible to get stronger while loosing weight. I am hoping to total 1500+ in the 220’s in Dec

[quote]zlloyd wrote:
[/quote]

Yes. Definitely. I’ve more than quadrupled what I can lift since I started and I’ve lost 20 pounds in the process.

But you should think about losing fat. Not about losing weight. I lost the 20 pounds my first month. Since then I’ve been steady at 200. But I can tell by just feeling my gut and the back of my arms that I have lost a lot of fat since then. In other words, I’m doing better every week, but it doesn’t show up on the scale because the scale is not a very good tool for determining improvement.

As for diet, use your instincts… Spinach and brocolli = good. 1/2 pound hamburger on a kaiser roll = bad. Fries and jalapeno poppers = terrible.

Just try to avoid excessive carbs, and make sure that what carbs you eat are good for you. And load up on low fat meats and veggies. Also, having a protein shake for breakfast gives me enough calories to get through the morning, and reduces my temptation to eat waffles, etc.

If I’m going to have carbs, I try to eat fruit (or fruit juice), whole grains, etc. No purified sugars if possible. And if there is rice or bread on the table, I try to take a couple of small scoops, or a couple of small pieces instead of a heaping pile of either.

If this is too restrictive, give yourself a treat day… For my family, Sunday is dessert day. We don’t go crazy. But this helps us stay on track during the week. If we want something unhealthy, we can say “Let’s have that on Sunday.” And then because we get the once a week treat, we don’t crave it as much during the week.

I agree its possible. I have lost about 3 inches off my waist yet my lifts have continued to go up. If you were eating shit before and just switch to cleaner foods but still take in a good amount of clean calories you will see a nice difference in body comp while still gettin stronger.

As far as what foods to eat, pick stuff that you dont mind eating that will be easy to manipulate over time.

I totally think it’s possible. Justin Harris is a big advocate of “If you lose fat, and retain muscle, you shouldn’t lose any strength” in his nutrition guide book. I buy into this theory. I think it can be mental a lot of times. Someone may believe that since they are dieting, they will lose strength and accept that as an inevitable side effect of dieting. Rather, an attitude of not losing any strength may yield no strength loss. Obviously this theory is specific by implying that you are already pretty strong in the first place.

Thanks for all the advice, I only ask because I about 315lbs and looking to get down to 300 or lighter but at the same time gain strength. I don’t expect to gain a lot of strength but as long as i keep making progress. Can anyone give me more info on carb cycling it sounds very interesting. Where exactly can i find more info on it.

Everyones got great suggestions. I have another that you mind find different and interesting more geared towards training then meal plan as you had initially asked.

Last March I set a goal for myself to do something athletically different and compete. I picked boxing. After about 3 months of training harder than ever and sometimes doing 2 or 3 workouts a day (strength with weights, sparring/bag work and hand pads, intervals cardio and condtitioning)I was up about 10 pounds and down at least 5% bf. I think from all the different movements and I had put on muscle and from all the conditioning I had leaned out significantly. In that period of time I was running a conjugate program and between B/S/DL I threw almost 200 on my total. Boxing uses alot of core work and i hold that responsible for my strength gains. And obviously with more weight on the bar I got bigger overall.

cheers goodluck

It’s possible, but only through supplementation. Exactly 21.7 minutes before your training sessions, you MUST consume tribulus terrestris harvested by a peasant girl within 48 hours of the Autumnal Equinox in the Bulgarian highlands. If you’re not serious enough about lifting to do this, don’t even ask questions on this forum.

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
It’s possible, but only through supplementation. Exactly 21.7 minutes before your training sessions, you MUST consume tribulus terrestris harvested by a peasant girl within 48 hours of the Autumnal Equinox in the Bulgarian highlands. If you’re not serious enough about lifting to do this, don’t even ask questions on this forum.[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking.