Losing Weight. Also Losing Muscle Mass?

I totally agree with this. We humans are masters of self-sabotage

2 Likes

Man, the body does weird stuff after you lose weight for awhile.

In July, when weight loss had slowed down I decided I had had enough of deficits/cuts/structured eating and started eating more, trying for “maintance.” Eating a little more made me lose another couple pounds. I had to actively stuff my face for awhile to Progress to “maintance” calories.

There were a few times between January and late June where weight loss slowed down and I lost motivation/energy and ate “normal” for a few days. Usually I would gain a pound or 2 temporarily, then weight loss would start up again and progress nicely for another month or 6 weeks.

I wouldn’t be worried about a short maintenance period after you hit 195, before you push for 185. Its probably a good idea to give your body a little break from the defecit.

Highly Controversial Content

If you’re now committed to the New goal of 185, and you feel kinda Blah, right now, consider taking a little maintenance break Now. Fill up your muscles, recharge and regain the Eye of the Tiger before making a new push.

2 Likes

Curious what kind of scale this is.

2 Likes

An update, now my issue is I’ve hit a wall. I’ve been stuck at 200-204 for a month now. Wondering if I’ve held the caloric deficit for too long? My doctor told me to pay for a nutritionist, but not sure I need it since I’m just trying to cut 15 more pounds. Seems like I may need to hit my maintenance calories for a bity vs. -500-700 per day. Thoughts?

:thinking:

looks like maybe a few weeks at maintenance would be a good idea, but if you are already at a 500cal daily deficit - this equates to 1lb loss per week, ie 4lbs/month. Have you recalculated your maintenance calories since you lost weight? you’re down ~20lbs from starting and that will have some impact on RME.

Still, i recommend a short term break as @FlatsFarmer suggested.

good info here When Your Cut Stalls

Appreciate this, advice and article were helpful. I haven’t recalculated, I based my caloric intake on a BMR for a 195 pound guy (1,826). I was typically hitting under that caloric ceiling by 200-700 calories daily, which I thought would accelerate weight loss. When I calculate my daily calories, I’m deducting for exercise. Based on what I’m reading, since I haven’t hit 195 yet I could at least hit or slightly exceed the maintenance calories for that weight for a bit.

My BMR for 195 is 1,826, however, my scale states my BMR is 2010! Maybe it’s spiked due to my workouts?

The fuck kind of scale are you using? A scale should only tell you your weight

Are you telling me that your daily caloric intake is between 1,126 and 1,326 or am i misinterpreting?

Using this:

Regarding total caloric intake, I’m saying for example:
Goal: 1,828
Food Intake: 2,591 calories
Exercise: -1,197
Total Deficit at end of day: -434
Protein Intake: ~160-200 grams per day

I like to keep things simple. Your scale has too much information. Do you know how accurate the values are? Are they repeatable? Do you understand variation? Take your weight plus all that other stuff throughout the day that it adds up to about 25 times. How much variation is there in all the data given? About the only variable you can affect in this short period of time is weight (BMI) and % body water. All other variables should be very close. If not, the extra stuff is just fluff of marginal value.

Why not try holding your weight for the next 3 months and try to get stronger. IMO, the absolute last thing you want to do is lose muscle. Follow your big compound lifts’ progress. If you are getting stronger you are adding muscle.

If you feel you must attempt to lose fat, are you eating at least one cheat meal per week to keep your metabolism as high as possible?

1 Like

It is doubtful you are exercising away nearly 1200 calories per day. I recommend following any advice @RT_Nomad nomad gives you.

I think it would be very helpful for you to stay at maintenance for a little while, and track your macros… I believe you will find that you have slowed down your metabolism due to this long of a cut (Adaptive Thermogenesis), and that your RME is probably lower than what you think it is. You should find your maintenance calories and strength train, as RT Nomad said. Your metabolism will probably pick up a bit, and then go back on your cut.

The effects I believe you are experiencing were outlined and corrected in the MATADOR diet, if you’re interested in reading something (plenty of articles in the T-Nation archives).

Don’t count exercise in your deficit. It doesn’t work

2 Likes

Gotcha–I’ll quiet the scale and try to hold my weight for the next 3 months while focusing on strengthening my compound lifts. I’m eating at least 1 cheat meal per week.

Thanks man, I’ll live in maintenance for a bit and focus on upping my compound lifts. I’ll check out the MATADOR diet articles.

1 Like

The words “at least” are standing out pretty loud there.

4 Likes

Nice, I’ll just shoot for my calorie limit for that day and ignore exercise deductions on MyFitnessPal.

1 Like

It should make you feel a little safer too. 2500 kcal is still a lot, so you’ve got room

If you’re not losing weight, you’re not in a deficit. You said you’ve been “stuck” at 200 for a month. That just means, you’ve been at maintenance for a month. No need to do more maintenance if the goal is cutting more weight.

Losing weight = deficit.
Gaining weight = surplus.
Weight staying the same = maintenance.

Macro splits, quality of food, timing of calories, etc. are all great, but calories in, calories out is the first thing to grasp.

1 Like

It looks like you’re using a renpho scale. Turn off athlete mode and you’ll get a more accurate bodyfat percent. Unless you’ve been properly training for more than two years.

Roger that. I think one of my issues is counting calories burned against my daily intake. So instead of hitting 1878 per day, was probably hitting 2300+.

1 Like