Losing the Pump

When doing my Back workouts, I notice by the time I finish deads the pump is gone and I feel like I need to gtfo of the gym. Through trial and error Ive kind of noticed I tend to grow and progress if I keep a pump going the whole workout. Im debating subbing deads with hypers, or maybe reducing the volume or adding reps and reducing weight?

I also would like to note that im am purely working out for Bodybuilding purposes. For me, besides the initial mass to my lower back, deads really arent an overall “mass builder” for me. I know that even if I increased my deads to 500lbs, I probably wouldnt gain much extra mass solely from deads at all. I also have been doing them off and on lately as they seem to be rather taxing and take that “extra energy” i could be using to make pr’s on other lifts. I do however like the fact that they give me a strong lower back less prone to injuries. And the just the fact they help with lifting everyday objects, couches, car engines etc

Heres my Back/Forearm/Rear Delt routine:

BB Row 4 sets x 6-12 reps
Pullups 4 sets x 6 reps
Underhand Pulldowns 3 sets x 6-8 reps
Cable Row 3 sets x 6-8 reps
Deadlift 135x6, 225x6, 275x3, Top set x 3 (345 was my pr x 3)

Reverse Preacher Curls 2 sets x 15-30 reps
Behind Back Wrist Curls 1 set x rep to failure

Reverse Peck Deck 3 sets x 6-12 reps

Where exactly do you expect deadlifts to pump up? For such a massive compound exercise blood has to go EVERYWHERE! its not surprising you “lose your pump” in your lats or whatever. You are over glorifying the pump in this regard. If you are getting a good contraction in all the over movements then dont worry about it.

How much rest between sets?

How long are you in the gym by the time you get to deadlifting?

What do you eat before the gym? How long prior?

What do you drink during your workout?

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
How much rest between sets?

How long are you in the gym by the time you get to deadlifting?

What do you eat before the gym? How long prior?

What do you drink during your workout? [/quote]

1-2 mins. sometimes 3 for final set if I feel i need it

45 mins or so

oatmeal/brown rice/potato with protein source, whey shake, apple and 16g of healthy fats

purple wraath

i hate it when i leave the gym, go home, shower, eat food, poop, then shower again (weird about pooping always need to shower again, ever since uncle dave did that thing to me when i was eight i have a complusion around feeling dirty in my backdoor). anyway i want to keep the pump always but it goes away, i want it 24/7.

serious - hard to keep a pump in the back, as mentioned the deadlift isn’t really the type of isolation movement to create the ideal pump variables. back in general is a combo of so many different movements and muscles…keeping a pump there is sort of like playing wack-a-mole. you might string along a high score for a fleeting moment or two but you will go bust, the moles are too fast and pretty. elusive.

Big Heavy lift first then chase the pump. Tried and tested a billion times over.

Losing your pump in what muscles?

If you’re talking about your lats of course you lose your lat pump when you start deadlifting the deadlift hits the lower back and has minimal impact on the lats. I don’t even know why people do deadlifts on back day it just makes no sense to me when every other exercise you and most people do on this day primarily hits the lats.

Its always made more sense to me to dl on a leg day.

some days I never even get a pump, others I’ll feel one muscle group pump up, but as soon as I hit an exercise for a 2nd (I usually do a large and a small muscle group in the same session), it dissipates… must mean I’m not making any progress… darn :frowning:

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
some days I never even get a pump, others I’ll feel one muscle group pump up, but as soon as I hit an exercise for a 2nd (I usually do a large and a small muscle group in the same session), it dissipates… must mean I’m not making any progress… darn :frowning:

S[/quote]

Same goes for me.

Eat faster digesting carbs.

Eat less fat, if any.

Put some cocoa powder in your intra workout or pre workout drink.

It sounds like you eat a lot pre workout, even if its 45 minutes prior.

I could be wrong of course, but it looks like it could be a decent amount of food. Too much food and your body will be busy digesting when it would be better to not be digesting. Try eating a big meal with more time between the workout or eat less pre workout or eat foods that are more easily digested.

dont start cussing deads till you can pull at least 2x bw