T Nation

Losing the Final 10-15lbs (Need Advice)

First post on the forum !

Currently weight 162 and need to walk around in the low 150s (height it 5 foot 9). If I had to guess i'm about 11-12% bodyfat currently (waist down there's nothing left to lose, arms are starting to get veiny and i'm getting to the point where abdominal muscles are noticeable)

My workouts currently has been weight training and lots of interval sprints (interval sprints basically got me from 220 to mid 160s).

My diet has been about 1,900 to 2,200 calories that has almost all whole grain, fruit, white meat, and dairy (not alot of vegetables to be honest).

This is a slight example of what some of my foods are. Dairy consist of a glass or two of skim milk, cheese stick, yogurt. Fruit consist of everything (I eat 4 to 5 pieces of fruit a day). White meat is about two servings a day. Whole grain I get about twice a day (sandwhich and nature valley granola bar).

What is the best approach for the final 10-12lbs ? (more vegetables to fill me up and bring the calories down ? Higher ratio of protein ?).

I've been stuck at 162 for a while and would like to hear suggestions for the final push

I would not bring calories down further, as depressing the metabolism is something you don’t need.

I would look to increase fat intake, and likely protein intake also, while reducing carbs. The diet looks very carb heavy and fat-light.

Getting fat intake up to at least 30% of daily calories (if below, as it sounds like) is likely to improve your testosterone. For equal calories, a higher balance of protein vs carbs will help with losing fat, up to at least 200 g/day but no need to exceed 300 g/day.

You didn’t mention volume of weight training, but if it’s nothing in particular, you could look to increasing volume. Something like 60-80 sets per week, for example, is generally not excessive and will help with fat loss compared to less. Faster paced workouts (less rest between sets) can help as well.

Congratulations on your excellent results so far!

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
I would not bring calories down further, as depressing the metabolism is something you don’t need.

I would look to increase fat intake, and likely protein intake also, while reducing carbs. The diet looks very carb heavy and fat-light.

Getting fat intake up to at least 30% of daily calories (if below, as it sounds like) is likely to improve your testosterone. For equal calories, a higher balance of protein vs carbs will help with losing fat, up to at least 200 g/day but no need to exceed 300 g/day.

You didn’t mention volume of weight training, but if it’s nothing in particular, you could look to increasing volume. Something like 60-80 sets per week, for example, is generally not excessive and will help with fat loss compared to less. Faster paced workouts (less rest between sets) can help as well.

Congratulations on your excellent results so far![/quote] The diet is in fact carb heavy and not a ton of protein/fat (what food do you recommend to bring protein and fat levels higher ?).

For weight training I do three day split (back/bicep, shoulder/chest, and leg). I do about 15 sets per workout (i’ll try to add a few more sets and speed up the pace).

Thank You. My coach wants me to compete at 135lb divison (bantamweight) so I’m almost where I need to be. I would like to be in the 152 to 155 weight casually and then drop to upper 140s during the training camp (will start cutting water weight from upper 140s to make the 136lb limit).

Protein with little fat can be added well with chicken breast, turkey breast, or tuna or various other fish, but as your fat intake should increase, good sources of protein with good fats include 93/7 or 93/10 ground beef, lean cuts of beef, and wild-caught cold water oily fish particularly salmon (farm raised has substantially different fat content and is not as beneficial.) Coconut and olive oils are particularly desirable oils to add.

If you’re training bodyparts twice per week on this three way split, then your volume is already in a good range. It’s possible a little more could help more but generally you’re at a pretty place. Or are bodyparts worked once per week?

If you’re training bodyparts twice per week on this three way split, then your volume is already in a good range. It’s possible a little more could help more but generally you’re at a pretty place. Or are bodyparts worked once per week?[/quote] Bodyparts are worked once per week. I’m cutting back on the MMA training from now to Fall so I might switch to working the body parts twice a week (six days a week lifting).

Would you suggest doing the bodyparts twice a week as long as my body doesn’t feel fatigued ? (I’m up for if it if it can help me cut the weight)

As a former fighter I would say to adjust your diet and to add cardio. Running 5-7k at a moderate pace in the morning.

As a former fighter I would say to adjust your diet and to add cardio. Running 5-7k at a moderate pace in the morning.

training wise try this…

clean up your carb sources esp cutting out fruit and swap for lots of greens

HOT-ROX once a week before your hardest session will also help

[quote]geforce789 wrote:

If you’re training bodyparts twice per week on this three way split, then your volume is already in a good range. It’s possible a little more could help more but generally you’re at a pretty place. Or are bodyparts worked once per week?[/quote] Bodyparts are worked once per week. I’m cutting back on the MMA training from now to Fall so I might switch to working the body parts twice a week (six days a week lifting).

Would you suggest doing the bodyparts twice a week as long as my body doesn’t feel fatigued ? (I’m up for if it if it can help me cut the weight)
[/quote]
Yes, but don’t double up on the weekly volume. Cut some exercises and/or reduce sets to come in at about a 50% increase.

Congratulations on your excellent results so far![/quote]

I couldn’t say this better myself! This guy knows his stuff. Also, just something to add OP…replace the majority of fruit you’re eating with vegetables.