Losing Strength

Benedikt Magnusson claims that using straps was very beneficial to his grip though :slight_smile:

Ofc he was trying to move beyond 800 at the time, not beyond 300…

[quote]Gaius Octavius wrote:
Use straps then.[/quote]

That’s like telling a drug addict to stop using. Straps don’t do anything. In fact, I threw mine away. My grip got weaker so I just tossed them and started training my grip the right way.

Luke

The strongest DLer in the world disagrees with you.

[quote]Gaius Octavius wrote:
Benedikt Magnusson claims that using straps was very beneficial to his grip though :slight_smile:

Ofc he was trying to move beyond 800 at the time, not beyond 300…[/quote]

I would classify that as s huge distinction . Going from a level few have ever achieved to an all time best is much different than going from an average lift to slightly better .

There are many different concerns
, one of which is hand size . I have large hands for a short guy
. My dad who is two inches shorter than me has large hands

My son who is an inch or two taller also has big hands . Grip has never been an issue for either of us . His deadlift is in the 400 range at 150, mine is in the 600 range at 200.

Ditch the straps . You’re not Benni.

Imo, this argument is almost as pointless as raw vs. geared. I used to be gung-ho about no straps. But really they are a tool. Like bands, slingshot/titan ram, chains, etc. Use them constantly and it might even be detrimental but they have great uses.

theres a simple way of looking at it. very very simple. if you are losing strength. you are over training. what your experiencing is very typical and has happened many times to many lifters. you keep getting stronger, then you hit a plateau. then you start getting weaker. first, most guys do wayyyyy to many sets. and doing singles or doubles is the demonstration of strength, not the building of strength. you will not build strength doing singles in most circumstances. take time off. limit the # of sets you do. you seem to be doing wayyyyy to many exercises and sets for your back. cut everything in half. you should really check out DC Training.

[quote]farmerson12 wrote:
Imo, this argument is almost as pointless as raw vs. geared. I used to be gung-ho about no straps. But really they are a tool. Like bands, slingshot/titan ram, chains, etc. Use them constantly and it might even be detrimental but they have great uses. [/quote]

Amen! A lifter must know the difference between using a tool and building a crutch.

And a guy pulling 315 for two shouldn’t be using straps unless he has gorilla hands .

I had a young kid in my office who could literally wrap his hands completely around a rolling thunder. He did 200 lbs on his first try easily . He was about 210 lbs ,21 and had a grip I’d never attain.

If he wants to strap in to get some extra reps, it wouldn’t be detrimental . If you have average sized hands you’re holding yourself back .

This kid is overtraining and pulling in the low threes now . He needs help from the ground up. He doesn’t need tools yet because he has No idea what he’s doing. Tools aren’t helpful if you don’t know the difftence between a screwdriver and a chisel and a wrench .

He needs a regular program that he’s following and food and stretching .

Stick your hand in a thing of rice and move it. Get some fat grips and use them on all rows and shit for awhile.

Donnie Thompson uses the fat bar on almost everything.

Guys that benefit from straps, are guys that do not have grip issues to start with, or for guys doing heavy ass rack pulls that there is no way they would pull form the floor.

Change your program. It sucks. There is no variation. Like someone said it is the “I don’t know what the fuck I am doing” default program where you just go lift shit.

Sleep more. Eat more. Rest. Read.

At your point any legitimate, non-retarded program would get your lifts moving again.

I did the same thing you are when I was 100% retarded with my training…

Any program will be of benefit to you now. 5/3/1 … Juggernaut … WS4SB… I would shy away from WS4SB because there are choices involved, and in 100% honest, not trying to be a dick, you do not know the right choices yet, or any clue how to arrive at the right choices.

did you or do you do cardio?

yep.

[quote]BigSkwatta wrote:
Stick your hand in a thing of rice and move it. Get some fat grips and use them on all rows and shit for awhile.

Donnie Thompson uses the fat bar on almost everything.

Guys that benefit from straps, are guys that do not have grip issues to start with, or for guys doing heavy ass rack pulls that there is no way they would pull form the floor.

Change your program. It sucks. There is no variation. Like someone said it is the “I don’t know what the fuck I am doing” default program where you just go lift shit.

Sleep more. Eat more. Rest. Read.

At your point any legitimate, non-retarded program would get your lifts moving again.

I did the same thing you are when I was 100% retarded with my training…

Any program will be of benefit to you now. 5/3/1 … Juggernaut … WS4SB… I would shy away from WS4SB because there are choices involved, and in 100% honest, not trying to be a dick, you do not know the right choices yet, or any clue how to arrive at the right choices. [/quote]

This thread has been interesting to read, for me anyway.

I think in a lot of ways, this is how we all started out. On like my 10th Bday my dad got me a Sears concrete weight set and bench (with leg extension/curl attachment!!) because my wrestling coach said I needed to work on upper body strength.

I made great gains doing 3x10. Almost all upper body stuff, though. I remember being in the gym at Junior High and being told I was going to hurt myself with the weight I put on the bench, which wasn’t much.

Walter Payton was my idol. Walter weight trained, I was gonna fuggin’ weight train.

Anyway, I have stretch marks on my pecs and shoulders not from being huge, but from overtraining. From being a dumbass. I have stretch marks on my thighs that are much more precious to me because they came from actually training smart and getting stronger.

It wasn’t until I realized I knew nothing and the articles I was reading and following in Muscle and Fiction (although I admit I still want barn door shoulders, damnit) were ridiculous and killing me.

Then, I bought an issue of PLUSA. This opened up myself and one of my training partners to a whole new world and back then you could get Powerlifter Video Magazine (or something like that) and we ponied up and ran those tapes over and over. He still has them and when I am in Chitown we bust out the Maker’s Mark and run the tapes…it’s good times.

This gave us the courage (and something to talk about) to approach guys stronger than us in the gym and figure out WTF was going on.

I’ll never forget one of those conversations. Dude says to us, “If you spent half the time squatting and pulling that you do on upper body, you might make some progress.” This was at the tender age of 17.

That may or may not have relevance to the OP but like Tate wrote, at some point you just have to realize you don’t know fucking anything and take the advice and direction of people more experienced than you.

The advantage you have is the internet. The curse you have is the internet. In my day, you had to seek out people at gyms. It was a hands-on process. Now every fuckstick with a weight set has an opinion.

Do some research, pick a program written by someone a lot more experienced than you are, and run it. Don’t fucking change a thing for at least a year (other than weight progression). Put in your time, trust someone else to tell you what to do, and eat like it’s your job.

I would probably recommend ponying up the cash for 5/3/1. I think it’s a great start.

That’s basically it.

My first weight set was a concrete set from Sears, Ted Williams, haha !

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
This thread has been interesting to read, for me anyway.

I think in a lot of ways, this is how we all started out. On like my 10th Bday my dad got me a Sears concrete weight set and bench (with leg extension/curl attachment!!) because my wrestling coach said I needed to work on upper body strength.

I made great gains doing 3x10. Almost all upper body stuff, though. I remember being in the gym at Junior High and being told I was going to hurt myself with the weight I put on the bench, which wasn’t much.

Walter Payton was my idol. Walter weight trained, I was gonna fuggin’ weight train.

Anyway, I have stretch marks on my pecs and shoulders not from being huge, but from overtraining. From being a dumbass. I have stretch marks on my thighs that are much more precious to me because they came from actually training smart and getting stronger.

It wasn’t until I realized I knew nothing and the articles I was reading and following in Muscle and Fiction (although I admit I still want barn door shoulders, damnit) were ridiculous and killing me.

Then, I bought an issue of PLUSA. This opened up myself and one of my training partners to a whole new world and back then you could get Powerlifter Video Magazine (or something like that) and we ponied up and ran those tapes over and over. He still has them and when I am in Chitown we bust out the Maker’s Mark and run the tapes…it’s good times.

This gave us the courage (and something to talk about) to approach guys stronger than us in the gym and figure out WTF was going on.

I’ll never forget one of those conversations. Dude says to us, “If you spent half the time squatting and pulling that you do on upper body, you might make some progress.” This was at the tender age of 17.

That may or may not have relevance to the OP but like Tate wrote, at some point you just have to realize you don’t know fucking anything and take the advice and direction of people more experienced than you.

The advantage you have is the internet. The curse you have is the internet. In my day, you had to seek out people at gyms. It was a hands-on process. Now every fuckstick with a weight set has an opinion.

Do some research, pick a program written by someone a lot more experienced than you are, and run it. Don’t fucking change a thing for at least a year (other than weight progression). Put in your time, trust someone else to tell you what to do, and eat like it’s your job.

I would probably recommend ponying up the cash for 5/3/1. I think it’s a great start.

That’s basically it.[/quote]

I’ve been preaching the master / apprentice thing for years apw. Well said.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
I have stretch marks on my thighs that are much more precious to me because they came from actually training smart and getting stronger.[/quote]

x2 on the stretch marks on the thighs. Those are the ones I’m most proud of.

Luke

I must have good skin. I’ve gone from 130 to 220 to my current 202-205 with minimal stretch marks. Just a few around the pecs and very light.

And no, it’s not from spa days, haha!

I’ve done a lot of research into powerlifting methods,training etc.But not much was mentioned on CNS fatigue(just researched it)sorry to have wasted everyone’s time! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Miiddleton wrote:
My routine is
Monday: Deadlifts 3-5 reps 5 sets,reverse hypers 5 sets 6 reps, goodmornings 5 sets 6 reps,Calf raised 5 sets 6 reps and then some heavy rack pulls.barbell row 5 sets 6 reps

Wednesday: Bench press 3-5 reps 5 sets,dumbell shoulder press 5 sets 6 reps,skull crushers 5 sets 6 reps

Friday: Squats 3-5 reps 5 sets,goodmornings 5 sets 6 reps,leg press 5 sets 6 reps,crunches until failure

I probably max at least twice every week[/quote]

You are not overtrained and your CNS is fine. You have just accommodated to your training. This is very basic, linear periodiztion. It is very easy to get used to. Once your body is used to a stimulus, you receive no more positive adaptation. Toss this, get on a more thought out program (which there are not many), and vary your training stimulus.

People who say things like ‘CNS’ and ‘overtraining’ and use these words to describe the condition they are in need to seriously take a look at the efficiency of their programming.

Well the only reason I’ve suspected CNS fatigue is because I’ve had a really hard time falling asleep and staying asleep lately,can’t concentrate for shit and feel a lot weaker than usual.

try 5 3 1, one drop that 2nd days of good morning and the legs presses see if your strength starts to come back
Try striping it down to the basics