T Nation

Losing Snatch Out In Front

I am having trouble with the catch portion of my snatch. Anything 135# or over, I lose it in front every time. This weight feels pretty light, and I’m missing way too many lifts because of this. I feel like my chest is dropping when I’m about halfway down. I feel like this happens on the decent of most of my squats as well (especially my back squat and OHS). Do you guys see anything that would be causing me to lose this weight in front?

Thanks for having a look!

Need to work on your bottom position in the catch (but also in the pull fwiw). have you done a bunch of benching in the past? Looks like your chest is tight. Couple that with a decent bit of forward lean cause your bottom position needs work and you are catching but tumping forwards as you descend.

My recommendation: a 2-5 minute loaded pec stretch plus broomstick dislocates every day. Paused overhead squats plus isolated hip mobility for that bottom position ala http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/01/episode-363-pre-squat-hip-opener-mob-rx/

Thanks for the tips. Could you elaborate a bit more on what you see wrong in the pull?

[quote]chapple2 wrote:
Thanks for the tips. Could you elaborate a bit more on what you see wrong in the pull?[/quote]

Sure, tho its mostly a different issue than your missing the catch. You are just not setting up enough. Check out your lower back. You need to get your chest set up with more extension and use your psoas to pull your si/lumbar into neutral into neutral. You are getting away with it at 135 but heavier weights are just going to exacerbate it.

I also think the hips high/dynamic/recoil start you use makes this harder to correct vs a static hips low position.

[quote]chapple2 wrote:
I am having trouble with the catch portion of my snatch. Anything 135# or over, I lose it in front every time. This weight feels pretty light, and I’m missing way too many lifts because of this. I feel like my chest is dropping when I’m about halfway down. I feel like this happens on the decent of most of my squats as well (especially my back squat and OHS). Do you guys see anything that would be causing me to lose this weight in front?

Thanks for having a look![/quote]

Looks to me that either your grip on the bar is to narrow which is causing the bar to come forward at the top of the movement before you set it in place. How is your flexibility aswell, tight lower region can cause this to happen to instead of sitting on the balls of your heels you are rolling forward onto your toes.
I’d suggest completely going back over your technique and working on mobility.
Hope this helps.

chest up, elbows out and get the bar a bit higher on the thigh before finishing (keeping shoulders over bar) - chest up more is the key/priority.

back isn’t set enough, if its not set in the beginning it will just get worse in the catch and will cause you to fail forward.
you also jump backward and the bar stays in the same spot so your trying to fight to get the bar back as soon as you catch it.
the part of the lift that you are talking about is due to mobility/flexibility of T-spine and chest.

so your problem really starts before the weight comes off the floor. the rounded starting position and jumping back puts the weight out in front and your core muscles in a weakened position trying to fight the bar into the proper position, then the flexibility issues come into play at a certain point and everything just collapses

I definitely notice this happening when I miss. Any advice on how to stay solid on my heels and prevent rolling forward onto my toes?

[quote]chapple2 wrote:

I definitely notice this happening when I miss. Any advice on how to stay solid on my heels and prevent rolling forward onto my toes?[/quote]

Keep your chest up more at the start, this will naturally shift your weight back into your heels.

[quote]Charlietr wrote:

[quote]chapple2 wrote:

I definitely notice this happening when I miss. Any advice on how to stay solid on my heels and prevent rolling forward onto my toes?[/quote]

Keep your chest up more at the start, this will naturally shift your weight back into your heels.[/quote]

Right, but I was referring to the catch portion. I actually feel pretty solid on my heels during the pull, but have been working on a better set-up position after some of the comments above. The problem I was referring to is that when I descend, I feel the weight shift to my toes right about when my thighs are at parallel, then I can’t keep my torso upright and I loose the lift. This doesn’t happen during squats or cleans though, only in the snatch

I personally like this lifter (got to see her training at the USOC when I was there for a cert): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FZSNPIfKZ8
Try to emulate her setup. There are plenty of other great videos of top lifters with the same upright setup (which someone already mentioned).

As someone also mentioned already, you essentially doom yourself to failing in the catch with faulty mechanics in the liftoff. Film yourself doing snatch grip deads and check for proper thoracic extension (chest up,butt down) and vertical shins. This is going to challenge your flexibility but its going to payoff in the long run. My opinion of course.

[quote]Mike A wrote:
I personally like this lifter (got to see her training at the USOC when I was there for a cert): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FZSNPIfKZ8
Try to emulate her setup. There are plenty of other great videos of top lifters with the same upright setup (which someone already mentioned).

As someone also mentioned already, you essentially doom yourself to failing in the catch with faulty mechanics in the liftoff. Film yourself doing snatch grip deads and check for proper thoracic extension (chest up,butt down) and vertical shins. This is going to challenge your flexibility but its going to payoff in the long run. My opinion of course.[/quote]

Agreed, it’s the difference between cause and effect ie the cause is slightly round back in 1st pull, effect is your centre of gravity and the bar being too far forward/looping/short pull. Keep your chest up throughout and you will be more balanced/centred.