Losing my PLing Virginity

[quote]GhostOD wrote:
I really like the look of that rack, so nice for a home set up [/quote]

I’ll get a picture of my cage then. I only use that white one for bench.

Sept 7 - Upper Body Repetition Day

Warm Up:
Pushups: 12
Pushups Plus: 12
Chin Ups: 12
Diesel Crew Shoulder Warm Up: 12

Bench with Fat Grips:
12x 45, 95

Bench:
15x135
16x155

a. Pull Ups: 10, 10, 10, 10
b. Band Pull Aparts: 3x12xBlk Mini band, 12xOrange Band

DB Lateral Raises: 12x20s, 10x30s, 30s, 30s

a. Behind the Back Barbell Shrugs: 3x8x315
b. Skull Crushers: 3x12x75

It’s been a while since I’ve benched. I’m trying to get my grip wider but my right shoulder complains about it. It’s the same pain I get when I do a wide grip pull up. I might have to look into this. It only hurts when I do the movement, which is fine I can live with it, I just don’t want to do damage.

Today:

Max Effort Lower Body

Rack Pulls from the Knee:
3x135, 135, 185, 185, 225, 225, 275, 315, 365, 405, 435, 455
1x475

Walking Lunges: 3x8xBW+95

Natural GHRs: 8, 8, 8

Standing Crunches with Grey Band:
30, 30, 30, 30

Felt fantastic today. The calorie surplus has me feeling strong and recovering really fast.

I’m up 5lbs this week and it’s all bloat. I have a big belly right now from my breakfast. It’s now time for lunch and it’s going to have to be forced.

I actually have a two day weekend starting tomorrow! I’m hoping for some good recovery time and a good max effort upper body day.

BTW, I started the week at 168.6lbs and was 173.6 this morning after my morning duties.

I forgot how good pasta and white potatoes are.

I’m starting to think all the years of competitive sports and abuse has taken too much toll on this body. Every time I start making progress things start to hurt. My back still isn’t 100% and my right shoulder is giving me issues.

No snap decisions yet. I’m going to get REALLY anal about my warm ups even though they are already starting to take an eternity. I’m also just going to have to suck it up and fit a regular chiro visit into my schedule. I have one spot on Tuesdays where I think I can do maybe every other week. I’m going to see what I can do. This Tuesday is already out because of a seminar.

Here comes icing and extra rolling after everybody is in bed on a regular basis. I’m going to have to get serious about that stuff if I still want to do this, otherwise it’s back to wimpy BBing routines.

Numbers:

Chins:
3xBW, +25, +45, +70
2.5xBW+90 (so close, got stuck at my forehead)

Flat DB Presses: 8x90s, 6x90s

a. BB Rows: 4x10x145
b. Face Pulls: 4x12xOrange Band

BB Shrugs: 4x15x225

Stand DB Curls: 4x12x30s

• I had a major disaster on the DB Presses. I went to lay back and get the DBs up but I had to much momentum. I just let go. FLYING POWER BLOCKS! I miss regular DBs.

Dusted off the bench in my gym and got back to work. Last workout? Saturday. Good lord I’ve been busy. I’ve commented that my wife is back to work and as a Kindergarten teacher she’s had parent interviews and open houses. That meant I was taking care of the kids both in the morning and at night. The last thing I wanted to do when they went to bed was lift heavy shit.

Okay so I started the new program today, which is virtually the same idea as what I was already doing, but the volume and intensity is turned way up. I’m looking for some mass over the next little while.

I hope my body adapts to this quickly, because the vomit was ready to fly:

Warmup
Sweet Foam Roller Love
Diesel Crew Shoulder Work
12 Pushups
12 Pushups Plus
8 Chin ups

Bench Press
20x45
15x65
12x85
10x95
8x115
5x135
5x165
5x185
5x205
4x225

50 Pullups: 20, 12, 11, 7

Barbell Rows: 5x10x135

Lying Tricep Presses: 5x10x30s

Standing Curls: 5x10x30s

Thoughts:

• Bench felt like a brick shit house in my hands. Very heavy.

• Pullups pretty much buried me. I was so done after those.

• Post workout nutrition: Gummi Bears (I still feel sick too my stomach to eat anything heavier)

Gummi Bears for post workout meal?? How much protein are you taking in?

If your stomach’s quesy, do you have any food allergies, or is there another cause?

sigh

Training is a bit sparse lately. I just don’t have ANY spare time anymore.

I had a WILD day on Sunday. I tried to lift at 9:00 pm but the gas tank was just plain empty. I did the following before I said enough is enough…

Squats:

10xBW, 45, 95, 135, 185, 185, 185

Deads:

10x185, 185…

At this point I actually said out loud: F#%K IT!

My rest times were massive and I was hating every minute of it.

Working 12 hour days right now but hoping for some free time soon.

[quote]cavalier wrote:
Gummi Bears for post workout meal?? How much protein are you taking in?

If your stomach’s quesy, do you have any food allergies, or is there another cause?[/quote]

There is a nice little virus being passed around at my house. For me I get nausea and random fevers. Fun and games with little kids this time a year.

Yeah baby! Got into the gym tonight and KILLLLLLLLLLED IT. I can’t be bothered posting numbers, I’ll do it at work tomorrow, but damn it felt good to move some iron.

I was on a roll after the kids went to bed easily so I even tried to hit on my wife. Got shut down faster then my kids eating green veggies. My roll is over now…

Oh well, at least I have The Ultimate Fighter on my PVR.

I’m planning on cutting out of work a couple hours early tomorrow. If the DOMS in my quads are gone I’ll do a ME lower body lift.

Oh and I ordered a little something special for my gym today. Damn thing cost me 300 bones. It better be worth it. Pics to follow in 2-3 weeks.

1a. Close Grip Bench Press: 10x 45, 75, 95, 115, 135, 135, 135, 135, 135

1b. Chins: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10

2a. Barbell Military Press: 10x, 65, 75, 75, 75, 75

2b. DB Rows: 10x60, 60, 60, 60, 60 each arm

1. Try not to puke

4a. Banded Tricep Ext: 5x10xGrey Band

4b. EZ Bar Curls: 10x55, 65, 65, 65, 65

1. Try really hard not to puke

Glad to hear you’re over your virus. But you’re still having problems keeping it down during workouts? Can you post your diet?

Are you following any specific training program or just winging it?

I don’t wing it. I have a plan and it’s all on paper. I do wing it when it comes to super setting or not. I just go by feel.

My problem is I always feel like I’m making up for missed workouts. I know deep down that it makes no difference in the big picture, but it is what it is. Instead of working my way up to 5x10s (3x10, then 4x10, and then eventuall 5x10) I went straight to full volume when my body is used to low rep work.

I’m just looking to put a quick 10lbs on. Typically in the past I’ve done massive bulks followed by a cut. This time I’m going to put 10lbs on and then hold that weight while I covert fat into lean mass. I’m going with the theory that the body needs to become accustomed to a certain mass instead of ballooning and cutting.

I’m such a dumb ass. I left work early today and got all excited to come home to lift. Just me, the dog and loud music. Kent called me so we were chatting away on the phone, and while we talked I drank a 1MR supplement because I was feeling sluggish. By the time I got off the phone and went downstairs I COMPLETELY forgot I drank that stuff and proceeded to take two caffeine pills. I’ve felt like utter shit for the rest of the day. DUMB ASS!

Anyways, it’s a good thing I didn’t feel like crap right away because…

Squats:

10xBW, 45, 95
5x115, 135, 165, 185, 205, 225

Deads:

5x135, 185, 225, 275, 315

Natural GHRs: 10, 10, 4… holy cramp in my calf!!!

Hanging Leg Raises: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10

Randoms:

Okay, I’m having issues with muscle cramps lately. Coincidentally it’s about the same time I started using 1MR. Say hello the the garbage 1MR, you taste like the bottom of my shoe anyways.

You know, I went maintenance all summer and didn’t use any supplements other then Xtend. I just like a little pick me up once in a while if I’m lifting during the day and not at night, but I was doing fine without it. Why do I bother? I do like superpump and still have some. I might try it next time. Otherwise I’m going back to whey and a protein bar.

I had a realization today that the latest program I frankensteined together has a lot of similarities to 5/3/1 except I put in two assistance days. I’m liking it, a lot.

5/3/1 is really popular, I even met one guy at my gym the other day doing it. I’m on Sheiko, which is good, but I wouldn’t recommend for someone who’s pressed for time.

As for gaining weight, remember this is powerlifting, not bodybuilding. There’s no gain in slapping lots of flab on, it’s just dead weight. If you’re determined to get into the next weight class, OK. If you want to drop to the lower weight class, you can diet down while maintaining strength. Kent’s the expert on that one.

If you’re looking to gain 10 lbs of muscle in the next few months, that’s a tall order. I couldn’t begin to suggest any way of doing that. On the Over 35 forum, there’s a log by Old Goat where he gained about 5 lbs of muscle in about a month by killing himself with squats.

And not surprised about the cramps - GHR will do that! But they’ll sure get your hamstrings in line.

Was super tight on time because my wife was going out and I needed to watch the kids. I absolutely blasted through my workout:

Warmup

Bench:
Warmup
5x95, 135, 185, 205, 225

Pull Ups: 15, 10, 10, 6, 9

Barbell Rows: 5x185, 165, 165, 170, 185

a. Skullcrushers: 5x10x65lbs
b. DB Curls: 5x10x30s ea arm

Thoughts:

• I think that’s a PR for bench, but I don’t track them past 1RM. I know I’ve done a bunch of 4x225 but not sure about 5.

• 50 pull ups is just nasty. Especially with low rest times. My forearms were just screaming. It really affected my BB Rowing in the early sets.

• My arm work was way to light, but I was in a massive rush at that point. I did it with virtually no rest.

Cavalier: I’ve got nothing but time on my side here. I could drop down a weight class if I wish, but I’m not interested in my maintaining my lifts, I’m looking for them to go up. Since I’m in between two weight classes I’m going to move to the top of where I currently am. Besides, I like my carbs. I also have ZERO problems admitting to being a closet BBer as well. Who doesn’t like slabs of muscle? In the past I’ve bulked way up to high weights and then cut down. This time I’m only bulking up 10lbs and then I’ll hold there while I turn fat into muscle. I did that at 170lbs all summer, so why not do it at 180lbs for even longer?

Oh and Cavalier, if you like big squats to put on mass, check out super squats. It’s the real deal and it worked for me too. It took my lean mass from 165 to 170 in a hurry.

Sounds like you’ve got the weight situation figured out. I won’t bother you any more on it.

BTW, I tried the Super Squats routine some years back. Didn’t get anything out of it other than a case of nervous exhaustion. Might have better luck nowadays. Anyway, the Sheiko is tough enough. Put on about 5 lbs in the past 2 months.

[quote]cavalier wrote:
Sounds like you’ve got the weight situation figured out. I won’t bother you any more on it.

BTW, I tried the Super Squats routine some years back. Didn’t get anything out of it other than a case of nervous exhaustion. Might have better luck nowadays. Anyway, the Sheiko is tough enough. Put on about 5 lbs in the past 2 months.[/quote]

I need to check this Sheiko out. Any links?

Squats:
10xBW, 45, 95, 135, 155, 155, 155, 155

Deads:
10x135, 185, 185, 185, 185

Lunges:
5x10xBW+45 each side

Good Mornings:
10x95, 115, 115, 115, 115

Standing Band Crunches:
5x10xThick Black Band

Yeah, feeling that for sure…

Busy day full of swimming lessons and trying to squeeze as much time with my kids on a one day weekend as possible.

Crap, I had some suspicions yesterday that I tweaked my back during deads. I had that sharp pain that goes zipping through your back and then nothing.

I stood up and thought, what the hell was that. My form was rock solid, I was only working at 50% of my 1RM. How can this be?

I did some stretches and test to see if I tweaked my back and felt nothing, nothing at all. I figured it was just a fluke thing and kept on going with my workout.

Before I went to bed I felt some tightness and I started to wonder. Well at 3:00 am when my youngest was up I realized that yes, I tweaked it again.

SOOOO… deads are out. Gonzo, all of them. The only thing I will try is with a trap bar so I can make sure the bar doesn’t get out in front of me, which is why I ordered the damn thing in the first place.

It’s also time for me to see what’s up with the ol’ back and if I just need to strengthen some muscles up around the area or if there is some major.

I was doing sumo with only 185, I KNOW my form was solid, it always is that light which is why I do it.

So with this, I’m putting my quest for a PLing event on hold for now until I can get this sorted out.

I’m not mad, I’m not angry, I just can’t be gimpy like this anymore. I hate having to pick up my kids in agony and not play with them the way I want to play with them.

Time to take this seriously…

The good news is, squats give me zero issues so I’ll continue to push those as much as I can.

Just throwing this out there: there is a section of the forum dedicated to people keeping logs, this seems like it would fit there.

That being said, glad to hear you’re getting into powerlifting. Have fun, set some PR’s, set an example for those kids of yours.