Losing Muscle

I’ve been sick lately and just went to the doctor and found out that I had mono. I still feel tired and weak, should I still train? Should I rest instead, and just train when I’m fully recovered.

My training partner had mono last year. He didn’t have the energy to train, let alone do most basic everyday stuff.

You’re probably better off resting, eating as healthy as possible and waiting until you are better.

I had mono last year. You won’t want to work out b/c that will only prolong the symptoms. You must put in the rest. It is a virus, so only your body can defeat it. I would say just eat as much as possible, take fish oil if you aren’t already, eat fruits and vegetables if you aren’t already, and get plenty of rest.

AND once you recover from the symptoms, you must take it easy when you return to lifting b/c you can relapse if you expose your body to too much stress.

I know my post has been negative, but my best advice would be to just think positive and believe that you will beat the virus quickly and lose minimal size/strength.

[quote]caneman wrote:
I had mono last year. You won’t want to work out b/c that will only prolong the symptoms. You must put in the rest. It is a virus, so only your body can defeat it. I would say just eat as much as possible, take fish oil if you aren’t already, eat fruits and vegetables if you aren’t already, and get plenty of rest.

AND once you recover from the symptoms, you must take it easy when you return to lifting b/c you can relapse if you expose your body to too much stress.

I know my post has been negative, but my best advice would be to just think positive and believe that you will beat the virus quickly and lose minimal size/strength.[/quote]

About how long will I be sick?

Everyone is sick for different periods of time. I had mono over last Christmas break. Total time from sickness to full recovery was 1.5 weeks and I skipped the fever symptom. Some people are out for up to 4-6 weeks. But, I couldn’t eat hardly anything for 1 whole week. That was a horrible week indeed. Have lots of tea, water, and milkshakes. I did about 2-3 weeks of very light recovery work and hit it hard after that. So in total, I made no progress in the gym for 1 month from start of mono to full throttle. I’m also 20 so that probably helped my recovery. Just REST and take prescribed steroids. Worrying about the gym during mono is pointless.

Rest.

If you broke your leg, I would advise you to train. Torn rotator cuff? Train legs. Broken nose? Train. Road rash from motorcycle accedent? Train.

Mono? Rest.

And of course, eat as well as humanly possible.

[quote]fartmonkey64 wrote:
I’ve been sick lately and just went to the doctor and found out that I had mono. I still feel tired and weak, should I still train? Should I rest instead, and just train when I’m fully recovered.[/quote]

Today’s tip comes from Chad Waterbury:

The Super Protein Shake

I put an apple and a handful of raw broccoli in my protein shakes every morning. Yep, you read that right. The sweetness of the apple offsets the “unsweetness” of the broccoli. With the following combination, you won’t even know the broccoli’s in there, but your health and body fat levels will thank you. Mix in 16-20 ounces of water in a blender:

2 Scoops of Metabolic Drive

1/4 cup of low-fat cottage cheese

1/2 cup of oatmeal

1 banana

1 apple

1 cup of raw broccoli tops

Blend until it’s as smooth and drink up!

I suggest drinking the protein shake listed above and consume some BCAAs to help preserve muscle.

Good luck getting better, rest easy.

I’ve been sick lately and just went to the doctor and found out that I had mono. I still feel tired and weak, should I still train? Should I rest instead, and just train when I’m fully recovered.[/quote]

Same thing with me in November 06 got sick as hell, lost 25lbs in 2 weeks. I couldn’t eat more than 400 cals a day, down from about 3500. After it was over my 225 max reps for bench went from nine reps to three. One good thing was that I was fat, so now all my #'s are back or improved minus 15 lbs of fat. It took 3 weeks after I was well to not feel like a weak bitch.

[quote]Ron.Odinn wrote:
I suggest drinking the protein shake listed above and consume some BCAAs to help preserve muscle.

Good luck getting better, rest easy.[/quote]

Sorry to threadjack, but what Metabolic Drive flavors taste good with that shake? Just vanilla?

How do I know when I can work out again so that I don’t rupture my spleen?

How do I know when I can work out again so that I don’t rupture my spleen?[/quote]

I was worried of the same thing. For the first week after 100% feeling better, my conditioning still sucked and did 1 exercise per body part and did that 3x a week. Sadly enough, this was exhausting at first. After one week of that, I bumped it up to 2 exercises per part 3x a week and did that for 2 weeks. Then I was back and ready to rock my old program with less weight at first. Most importantly, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. If it says, “I’ve have enough,” stop your workout. Do not push yourself and injure yourself further.

I also had my spleen checked a couple times by my dad, who is a doctor, and said it’ll be fine as long as I progress gradually.

Moral: Do not ignore what your body tells you. Especially during/after mono.

Senior year in high school I got mono from my girlfriend. At first, I had no idea I had it. I woke up every morning barely able to breathe and had a whopping cough for around half an hour or so and it cleared up by the time I was ready for school. It seemed just like a really bad cold after that half hour for the first week, so I kept running in XC practices. That was a HUGE mistake…in my next meet I collapsed, finally made a visit to the doc’s office, and I subsequently found out that I had mono. I was sick for about ten weeks total, probably due to the fact that I didn’t actually realize that I had mono until about three weeks in.

From past experiences, I’d advise you to do no strenuous physical activity, rest up, eat well, and then make a visit to the doc’s office once you feel well enough to work out again. He’ll be able to determine whether or not you’re fit to work out again. As for advice on how to keep muscle, I can’t help ya there.