Losing Muscle/Leg Size on Purpose

I know it is blasphemy, but i need to lose muscle mass off my legs. I am joining the royal marines and need to drop under a certain weight and become an endurance machine. I am already 12% bodyfat so don’t have much more weight to lose their.

My legs are overdeveloped compared to my upper body and really hold me back with endurance work. Currently they are 27" id like to get to 22-24". I love squatting/deadlifting, do i need to stop training legs or what ?

thanks for you help!

Start jogging and under eating.

Start running, don’t need to under eat. 3-5 times a week.

5-10K training is fine.

Squatting once a week is fine.

[quote]JFG wrote:
Start running, don’t need to under eat. 3-5 times a week.

5-10K training is fine.

Squatting once a week is fine. [/quote]

+1

Nice one, I am already running a lot so maybe I just need a bit more patience.

Cheers guys !

Nice one, I am already running a lot so maybe I just need a bit more patience !

Cheers guys !

27 inch legs at 12%

post pics

very sad thread indeed…

I’d just do my leg work for lower reps, 1-3 reps, maybe 5 every now and again, just working them for strength and not really pushing volume. Then like others said, just run, do a lot of moderate cardio.

Should have included that the only respect in which this thread is misguided is insofar as the OP thinks that some certain leg size is magically going to make him a better runner.

OP, form follows function; focus for now on becoming good at what you’re trying to become good at. The physiological changes will come as needed. If you’re just training for a performance goal, then size measurements shouldn’t really be a factor for you.

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:
Should have included that the only respect in which this thread is misguided is insofar as the OP thinks that some certain leg size is magically going to make him a better runner.

OP, form follows function; focus for now on becoming good at what you’re trying to become good at. The physiological changes will come as needed. If you’re just training for a performance goal, then size measurements shouldn’t really be a factor for you.[/quote]

I feel like you missed the part where he said he has to drop weight to meet certain requirements. If his legs are truly 27", and he doesn’t feel like he’s going to be able to lose adequate bodyfat to meet the requirements, this seems like a reasonable place to start.

Also, I don’t know how big your legs are, but I can assure you that running with larger legs is not particularly comfortable. I was a much better runner when my legs were smaller.

I’m surprised anyone’s suggesting to keep training your legs with weights. If you’re seriously striving to lose 3-5 inches off your thighs, it’s going to take forever if you keep squatting. There’s no harm in laying off leg work completely for a couple months to reach a particular goal.

Jogging is a good idea, and I would lower your caloric intake. You may not be able to lose a ton of fat, but I would imagine you could comfortably lose at least 20 lbs of fat at the size I think you probably are.