T Nation

Losing LOTS of Fat

OK, I’m in a fraternity, and one of my brothers is ridiculously overweight. I would like to help him lose weight, but since I’ve never been overweight in my life, I’m having trouble. I know alot about good diet habits, but I need help on things like calorie intake. Should he eat as often as I do? (6-7 times a day). Also, should he take any supplements? I know HOT-ROX is great for fatloss, but should it be taken in the early stages? I’m also going to have trouble getting him into the gym, at least at first. AKA it probably wont happen. Any advice will be much appreciated guys. Just no hardcore stuff that only a T Man can do. He’s not a T Man.

[quote]frattitude wrote:
OK, I’m in a fraternity, and one of my brothers is ridiculously overweight. I would like to help him lose weight, but since I’ve never been overweight in my life, I’m having trouble. I know alot about good diet habits, but I need help on things like calorie intake. Should he eat as often as I do? (6-7 times a day). Also, should he take any supplements? I know HOT-ROX is great for fatloss, but should it be taken in the early stages? I’m also going to have trouble getting him into the gym, at least at first. AKA it probably wont happen. Any advice will be much appreciated guys. Just no hardcore stuff that only a T Man can do. He’s not a T Man.[/quote]

I was in a situation just like that. I have a frat brother who must weigh over 300lbs. I even got as far as getting him to buy a membership to a gym (24 Hour Fitness). He went maybe 5 times, actually worked out with weights and on the machines maybe 3 times, and spent the rest of his time in the pool. He later quit going and then didn’t renew his membership. Mind you, I set up and wrote out a plan for him (I used to work as a personal trainer before going back to school), went to the gym with him and showed him how to do the exercises. I even went shopping with him for decent food to eat so that he would lay off the entire buckets of KFC. I hate to tell you this, but it isn’t about what you want. If HE doesn’t want to change, you can stand over him like a drill instructor, cook his meals for him, and walk him over to each training station and he will STILL give up eventually if he doesn’t want this for himself. As far as supplements, get serious. If he won’t even get in the gym regularly, the LAST thing he needs is supplements.

thanks professor,
the only reason I brought up HOT-ROX is because I don’t know really know anything about it, other than it is a weight loss supplement. I figured it wouldn’t be appropriate, I just wanted to hear that elsewhere. So, no supplements for him right now, just a diet change and activity change. More advice would be appreciated from you guys!

[quote]frattitude wrote:
thanks professor,
the only reason I brought up HOT-ROX is because I don’t know really know anything about it, other than it is a weight loss supplement. I figured it wouldn’t be appropriate, I just wanted to hear that elsewhere. So, no supplements for him right now, just a diet change and activity change. More advice would be appreciated from you guys![/quote]

You can try as hard as you want, but some people simply do not have the determination to change.

It’s easier to do with people who are close to you, such as family members, girlfriends, and best friends.

But unless this guy is really close to you and respects your advice, I doubt you’re going to help him much if he doesn’t care about improving.

Just my 2 cents.

But remember, nothing is impossible.

If this person is truly fat but does want to change… it won’t be too hard for him to do.

For starters, don’t think about getting this person to exercise like you and I might do. This might be the fastest way to get them to give up entirely because they feel so useless and incapable – sore, exhausted, sweating, wheezing and blistered up. Woohoo!

I guess it depends on the person, but at first this guy just wants to lose some fat. Get him to throw on a walkman, some shades and to add a half hour walk to his day. If he isn’t sore and his legs aren’t chafed up, add more time to it.

While this is going on… it’s all about nutrition. Nutrition, nutrition and nutrition. No more fat plus carb meals. No more bags of potato chips or cartons of ice cream. Personally, I’d suggest doing low (not ridiculous, but low) carbs as in the T-dawg diet.

Find the nutritional articles on this site and get serious about eating appropriate fats and carbs and large amounts of protein. Lucky thing for a fat guy is he’ll already have muscle hidden under there to carry all that mass around… keep protein levels up and eat lots of small meals to hang onto it during the weight loss.

As the weight comes down and the eating habits and fitness level improve you can start adding more things on. Sometimes fat people don’t want to go to the gym to show off how out of shape they are… so at this stage look into bodyweight squats, push ups, ab work and whatever.

Further down the road, once the body weight work is in hand… it’s time to go to the gym with a reasonable base of aerobic capacity and muscle strength. You can shortcut this if the person is very motivated and really wants to get into the weights, but they’ll really have to want it.

Anyway, as a former fat person, that’s my take on it. A month of more of building up basic aerobic capacity and some endurance before getting into more streneous exertion is fine as the weight loss will start out pretty fast with nutritional changes. This will be plenty motivating.

I too was in the same situation as yourself. I have a friend at work that was about 260lbs. He came to me asking if I would help him shed some fat.
So I took him under my wing . The fist thing I told him was that I would help him only if he was determined and worked hard and stayed focused . I agree with my fellow T-men. You can help him only if HE
really wants it bad. If he does Let me know and I’ll tell you how I helped my friend. Right now he has lost about 35lbs, in about 4 months. No supplement just good eating and hitting the iron.

Try telling him the matt furey program of hindu squats, hindu press ups and bridging. It is simple and is all bodyweight exercises. There is a T-mag article about it.