T Nation

Losing Fat Without Losing Weight

So, this is the first time i am actually posting here. I have searched the forums but haven't found the answer i am looking for so i am creating a new post. What i am trying to do is lose fat from my mid section. I know there have been a huge number of posts regarding this topic but hear me out. I know if you want to lose fat you have to create a deficit in calories (either by working out or by diet) and if you want to gain weight you gotta consume more than you burn and i also know about carb cycling.

Now, i don't wanna lose weight...i actually wanna gain weight but reduce the fat percentage. But, because i read so many articles each having a different point of view that i am just confused on how to reduce my BF%. Overall, i look lean...but it's jus the lower mid section that looks bad (i can see my upper abs but after that there is a big a** tire then a healthy waist line) Currently i am:

187 lbs
5' 11"
BF = around 14%
Waist = 34"
Neck = 15"
Chest = 41"

I barely do ab workouts. I actually did an ab exercise yesterday after 2 months. Here is what my workout looks like:

Upper Body (minus shoulders):

I start with a 5 - 10 mins warmup on the elliptical

Flat Bench Press: 5 x 5 @ 145 lbs or Dumbbell Bench Press: 5 x 5 with 70 - 75 lb dumbbells (i usually prefer the flat bench press but my school's gym gets really packed so i do which ever is avail)

T-Bar Row: 5 x 5 @ 125 lbs
Push Ups: 3 set of max reps
Lat Pull Down: 3 sets 5 reps @ 160 lbs
Preacher Curl: 3 sets 5 reps @ 65 - 75 lbs
Dips: 3 sets of max reps

10 - 20 mins cardio on the elliptical

The next day i just go in for a cardio session where i usually do 10mins of rowing and 20mins of elliptical

Lower Body:

5 - 10 mins of warm-up

Squats: 5 x 5 @ 185 lbs (Max)
Overhead Press: 5 x 5 @ 115 lbs (Max)
Deadlifts: 3 sets 5 reps @ 185 lbs (Max)
Leg Press: 3 sets 5 reps @ 310 lbs
Shoulder Press: 3 sets 5 reps @ 160 lbs
Calf Raises: 3 sets 5 reps @ 115 lbs

10 - 20 mins cardio

So that's what my workout looks like but i feel like i am holding my self back because i am scared to lose the muscle and strength i gained if i do too much cardio. Also, i am not seeing any results in my mid section area and its been 2 months since i've been doing this routine. I was thinking about ditching the elliptical completely and switching to only rowing and a stationary bike because i feel the burn more on the row and the stationary bike but for some reason the calories burned on the bike are significantly lower than the elliptical. Anyways so i was thinking about including 20mins of rowing at the end of my Upper Body workout and 20 mins of stat. bike at the end of my Lower body workout. My bad if this post confused you but basically i wanna go up to 195 lbs but also reducing the fat to around 8% at the same time. Ive seen some people who had around 20% BF at 170 lbs go to 200+ lbs with 6 - 7% BF just by training hardcore for a year. Anyways...any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

No mention of diet...

What are you eating on an average day??
Also pick one goal at a time and pursue it, when you achieve that, focus on the other, dont try to gain mass while losing fat or you'll end up doing neither. However they both come down to how well diet is dialled in.

You need to stop reading so much and just get stronger.

You'll notice the difference when you DL more than 185...

Ill cry for you as I die for you and this blood on my hands is for you

He deadlifts 185. He damn well better be able to lose fat while getting stronger. Lift like you mean it, do some cardio and don't eat crap and you'll see results.

Read the articles in the beginners section about Skinny Fat Bastard - its stickied in there.

And seriously consider INTENSITY. You're able to lat pulldown 160 for reps but only deadlift 185. That's an issue. You also should be able to flat bench a bit more than doubling your db numbers. If with DBs you're doing 70's than on the bench you should easily be close to 200. What really points it out though is that you've been at this for 2 months and acknowledge that you are holding yourself back. Until you stop defeating yourself and start using some intensity you're not going to see results of any sort.

this post reeks of inexperience. You read that shit and reposted it without paying any attention to who youre giving the advice too. Stop it

I'll second that.

Focus on progressing in weight or reps every workout. with a 145 bench and 185 deadlift this should be no problem. I wouldnt even worry about BF%

My diet is actually decent...for breakfast i have a protein shake with oats (around 650 cals) then lunch is usually homemade tuna sub, PBJ sandwich a couple of hrs after lunch...hemp seeds...another protein shake. Only dinner is not good because by the time i get home from uni i am tired so i jus end up frying 5 eggs and eatin them with 2 toasts of whole wheat bread. I just started doing deadlifts recently and went from 110 lbs to 185 lbs with proper form...i can lift more but i dont wanna compromise the form, next time ill go for more...

Yeah ive always felt my bench press is weak but about 3 months ago i injured my shoulder doing lateral raises but overtime with shoulder dislocations the pain is gone but i like i said i am def holding my self back...ill try to increase my bench press and dead lifts and post the progress here

Good advice as always.

Taking any fish oils?

Might help with both reducing stomach size and your shoulder problem.

Yes, but not regularly...i try to eat hemp seeds instead to get a little fiber in as well...can you elaborate a little more on how the fish oil will help my shoulder problem. thanks