T Nation

Losing Fat Without Losing Mass

I was wanting to begin cutting to get my body fat down. I have been bulking since August, and my weight is at 218lbs. My only concern in cutting is losing some quality mass I have worked very long and hard to obtain. I am confused about the diet aspect of this? Any insight?

hey,
I am first time poster here,
I am begining a cutting phase soon InshAllah
my plan is to create a slight deficient in calories. Also i am going to up my protein eat my carbs early in the morning then live off on protein and some fats in the evening( I am going to drink gingerel tea after eating fats as to make it easy for my body to metabolise fat ( google this if ur qurious), I am also upping my ice water intake for extra metabolism boost.
I am considering full body workouts 3 times a week and cardio sessions in between,
I dunno if this works for you but it worked for me before :smiley:

Keep things simple.

You should know now how many calories and how much activity it’s taking to keep you at 218lbs. So from there you can do one of 3 things.

1.) drop your calories
2.) increase your activity
3.) both

a safe drop in calories should be between 300-500. then stick with that as a total for 2 weeks and recheck your weight & measurements.

increasing your activity could be a thousand things from taking more walks, HIIT to more aggressive sex.

if you choose to use both just take things slowly.

oh, i forgot to mention that it is a great idea to hold off and maintain at a certain weight for at LEAST 6 weeks if not 8 to reset your body at homeostasis.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
increasing your activity could be a thousand things from taking more walks, HIIT to more aggressive sex.
[/quote]

I am so jealous that you have a smokin’ hot GF who takes lifting seriously.

“Honey, we should have sex tonight, I couldn’t get in my NEPA today. Oh, and I’m going to be busy as fuck for the next 7 months, so I’m not going to be able to reach my daily activity requirements then, either.”

thanks for the input. i am going to do the carbs in the morning and all proteins and fats in evening. ill look in to the tea thing.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
Keep things simple.

You should know now how many calories and how much activity it’s taking to keep you at 218lbs. So from there you can do one of 3 things.

1.) drop your calories
3.) both

a safe drop in calories should be between 300-500. then stick with that as a total for 2 weeks and recheck your weight & measurements.

oh, i forgot to mention that it is a great idea to hold off and maintain at a certain weight for at LEAST 6 weeks if not 8 to reset your body at homeostasis. [/quote]

I would actually add in a fourth scenario: increasing calories slightly AND physical activity.

Your metabolism goes UP when you eat more and it will also go up when you are more active.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
B rocK wrote:
Keep things simple.

1.) drop your calories
3.) both

oh, i forgot to mention that it is a great idea to hold off and maintain at a certain weight for at LEAST 6 weeks if not 8 to reset your body at homeostasis.

I would actually add in a fourth scenario: increasing calories slightly AND physical activity.

Your metabolism goes UP when you eat more and it will also go up when you are more active.
[/quote]

Good call. I didn’t say anything about eating more because not everyone has a higher metabolism to start. But i suppose if you increase both you’ll be taking care of that.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
B rocK wrote:

I am so jealous that you have a smokin’ hot GF who takes lifting seriously.

“Honey, we should have sex tonight, I couldn’t get in my NEPA today. Oh, and I’m going to be busy as fuck for the next 7 months, so I’m not going to be able to reach my daily activity requirements then, either.”[/quote]

She met me at the gym.

So keep working out, it’ll happen.

I’ve found that supplemental BCAAs and High doses of fish oils have helped me maintain a good degree of lbm in the past.

S