T Nation

Losing Fat Quick Via Low Carb

Are low carb diets the quickest way to lose fat.Low carb diets are all the rage now with movie stars athletes and the general population.

What did these people do to become so ripped back "in the day" when low carb diets were not very popular?

I just asking because ive always struggled to keep on low carbs for more than a week. Take for example last nite i made myself a omlette with bacon.30 mins later i had a splitting headache,i always get headache's whenever i dont have some form of carbohydrate in my meals.

Its quite annoying as im trying to shed some bodyfat.I have the attention span of a goldfish and get bored really quicky if something does not happen quickly so im always after "the quickest way possible" type of person when it comes to muscle gain and fat loss.

Im considering going for 30 minds jogs a few times a week along with my 5 trips to the gym to shed some bodyfat while still having carbs in my diet(just not as much).

Has anyone else lost bodyfat while on anything else than low carb diets?? I know the rule about calorie's in vs calorie's out but i just shrink when i eat less.

Any idea's /tips would be appreciated.

Search around. Low carb diets are NOT the ONLY way to go. The common key between all diets is high protein and lower overall calories. I personally can lose fat with plenty of carbs still in my diet. Check out the carb cycling thread. Lots of info in there if you’re willing to read through it.

OF course you shrink when you eat less, you are losing WEIGHT after all.

Personally I can lose fat with carbs or fat in my diet, I tried both and usually high fat makes me less hungry but then again a gram of fat has more calories than a gram of carbs so the calories on high fat tend to add up quickly.

I’m going to state the obvious and say eat protein with every meal with veggies and fruit for carbs. Eat the food highest in carbs before or after your workout and keep your calories bellow maintenance. In the end what matters is calories in vs calories out and protein intake.

I have a buddy of mine that pretty much feels the same way you do in reference to the whole low carb thing so what he does is the first three meals of the day are carb/protein and the last three are fat/protein… but his carbs are 100% clean (oatmeal, fruit, whole grains)

now that said he works out early in the day around 10-12 as you can see by his eating pattern so you can maybe take up something along those lines and make it work for you…

They DID use low-carb diets to get ripped back in the day, as far back as the early 1900s.

I have some scientific studies in my closet with references of low-carb experimentation from the 1920s.

A lot of bodybuilders from the old-school used a “fish and water” diet which is pretty much a protein-sparing modified fast.

The god-damned fastest way to lose fat is with a PSMF. Apparently you didn’t see my Rapid Fat Loss thread. You should check it out. But if you can’t tolerate some headaches and drowsiness for a few hours, I don’t know how you’ll tolerate the first few days of a near-zero-carb diet.

Elusive, carb cycling works for weight control and loss; but this guy wants the fastest way possible. There is no faster way than a very-low-calorie low-carb diet.

WHY THE FUCK IS EVERYONE IN LOVE WITH CARB CYCLING?

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
WHY THE FUCK IS EVERYONE IN LOVE WITH CARB CYCLING?[/quote]

I think it’s the mental aspect. You get a lot of the quick results from a low/no carb diet, but with the high-days, you get a bit of what you’re denying yourself the rest of the week. I know that even before my contest prep, I’d be really strict during the week knowing that I could relax a bit each weekend. It not only kept me sane, but made it pretty easy to justify being so rigid at times.

S

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Elusive, carb cycling works for weight control and loss; but this guy wants the fastest way possible. There is no faster way than a very-low-calorie low-carb diet.

I referenced the carb cycling thread because its currently still active and is a good example of dieting WITH carbs, as the OP seems to want to do.

Some people stuggle the first 1-2 weeks of low carb, just need to man up and get through it.

[quote]plateau wrote:
Some people stuggle the first 1-2 weeks of low carb, just need to man up and get through it.[/quote]

QFT

About 2yrs ago I cut and went on a ketogenic diet where I was eating between 50-70g of carbs for 5 weeks. The first 15 or so days I felt like I had no energy and was weak as shit at the gym. But then my body got used to it and my numbers went up and I was fine.

If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

For myself,

Easier mentally…And one of the reason that got me started on it…It fit more my lifestyle…In a restaurant i can get a chicken wrap with about 25g of carbs and not screwing up my diet…that one example but there others…

Its also the coolthing right now…and why not??

[quote]King of Kings wrote:
Are low carb diets the quickest way to lose fat.Low carb diets are all the rage now with movie stars athletes and the general population.

What did these people do to become so ripped back “in the day” when low carb diets were not very popular?

I just asking because ive always struggled to keep on low carbs for more than a week. Take for example last nite i made myself a omlette with bacon.30 mins later i had a splitting headache,i always get headache’s whenever i dont have some form of carbohydrate in my meals.

Its quite annoying as im trying to shed some bodyfat.I have the attention span of a goldfish and get bored really quicky if something does not happen quickly so im always after “the quickest way possible” type of person when it comes to muscle gain and fat loss.

Im considering going for 30 minds jogs a few times a week along with my 5 trips to the gym to shed some bodyfat while still having carbs in my diet(just not as much).

Has anyone else lost bodyfat while on anything else than low carb diets?? I know the rule about calorie’s in vs calorie’s out but i just shrink when i eat less.

Any idea’s /tips would be appreciated.
[/quote]

The headaches pass after the first week or so. Also, I’ve found that taking higher doses of fish oil helps with the headaches. Getting lean isn’t a cake walk otherwise everyone would be, same as being huge.

I was lean growing up, but the older I get (27 now), the more cardio seems to be required to stay lean, regardless of my diet. Try SSFC in the morning with lower intensity on lifting days (not leg day) and sprints later in the day on days you dont lift.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
I have some scientific studies in my closet with references of low-carb experimentation from the 1920s.

A lot of bodybuilders from the old-school used a “fish and water” diet which is pretty much a protein-sparing modified fast.

The god-damned fastest way to lose fat is with a PSMF. Apparently you didn’t see my Rapid Fat Loss thread. You should check it out. But if you can’t tolerate some headaches and drowsiness for a few hours, I don’t know how you’ll tolerate the first few days of a near-zero-carb diet.

Why get headaches and all that crap when it isn’t even necessary. Low-Carb diets are NOT the “fastest” way to get results when wanting to lose body fat. you lose a ton of water and glycogen the first few days/week and that’s why people go OMG I FEEL SOO LEAN ALREADY BLA BLA BLA. At the end of the day: high fat or moderate carbs, it all comes down to the calories.

I think for a few reasons:

1. We have evolved to like high energy foods and lets faces it, carbs get energy into the blood faster than any other macro-nutrient. When we carb cycle we go without huge quantities of what we crave for only a few days and then get to reload - which is awesome!

2. It works effectively.

3. From a psychological point of view, carb cycling gives us the benefit of seeing ourselves as both lean and bulked in a 1 week period - my GF likes the way I look on Monday morning after I’ve eaten a lot, I prefer the way I look on Friday night before I start to refeed.

4. At some basic level, it’s nice to live like our evolutary ancestors by eating animal flesh and vegies most of the time and then having a feast on sweet sugar.

To the OP:

I have lost weight on low carb, low fat and carb cycling, but in general, the fat comes off the fastest when I take 4 or 5 weeks and pump up the training volume and the HIIT in the form of cycling then return to more normal activity levels. Blitz, recover, blitz again… So long as the food you bring in is of reasonably high quality and eaten every 2-3 hours, it can be high or low carb and high or low fat.

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:

Why get headaches and all that crap when it isn’t even necessary. Low-Carb diets are NOT the “fastest” way to get results when wanting to lose body fat. you lose a ton of water and glycogen the first few days/week and that’s why people go OMG I FEEL SOO LEAN ALREADY BLA BLA BLA. At the end of the day: high fat or moderate carbs, it all comes down to the calories.[/quote]

Right, it’s only a matter or calories; that’s why there are so many studies and articles regarding the effects of the content of those calories.

If it were a matter of calories only, we could simple tell clients and write articles saying, “eat less; exercise more.” If it were all so simple.

I have an RD friend who works in a clinic for obese people. Some of have lost HALF their initial bodyweights with PSMFs. That’s not just a loss of glycogen and water.

I myself have lost a total of 20 pounds over two stints on the Rapid Fat Loss Diet and am keeping it off. I lost two inches on my waist. That’s not just a matter of losing water and glycogen.

The OP is asking about losing weight QUICK. Maybe I don’t know what he means by quick. Bodybuilders don’t get ready for competition quickly; their contest prep can take 3 to 4 and in some cases, five months. Quick to me is a span of 2 to 6 weeks. Quick weight loss requires consuming the LEAST amount of calories while maintaining muscle mass.

Let’s take a 200 pound guy with 15% bodyfat. He has 30 pounds of LBM. His maintenance kcal amount is 3,000 kcals. What’s going to work quicker? A modest caloric deficit of 10 to 15% (300 to 450 kcals) or very-low-calorie and low-carb diet consisting of ~1,300 to 1,500 calories coming lean protein and fibrous vegetables and a small amount of EFAs?

I’m NOT trying to push the Rapid Fat Loss or Velocity diets on anyone. And the only real applicability of such low-calorie diets to bodybuilders would be in cases where they are off track or miscalculated how initially fat they were at the start of contest preparation.

I think that carb cycling is great. Perhaps I shouldn’t have “shouted” my question on here. However, there are guys contemplating this approach when they barely have any experience tracking their body composition and gym performance. There are guys thinking of this approach that are 175# and 15+% bodyfat at 5’10". Does their status warrant a sophisticated approach? Not at all! In most cases, these are men who jump from routine to routine and diet to diet. What they shoud do is stick to a normal baseline diet and make appropriate adjustments along the way for at least one year, in my opinion. THEN maybe they can experiment successfully with other approaches.

By the way, the carb-cycling king himself, Justin Harris, has stated repeatedly on here and You Tube that peope with 15+% bodyfat can lose weight on a simple lifestyle diet.

Are there any other carb cycling articles out there for a beginner?

See my post above. Beginners shouldn’t carb cycle!

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Right, it’s only a matter or calories; that’s why there are so many studies and articles regarding the effects of the content of those calories.

[quote]

I don?t know if you read my initial post but I OBVIOUSLY mean calories coming from good sources.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
If it were a matter of calories only, we could simple tell clients and write articles saying, “eat less; exercise more.” If it were all so simple.

[quote]

Jeez do we really need a second Chris Shugart around here?

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
I have an RD friend who works in a clinic for obese people. Some of have lost HALF their initial bodyweights with PSMFs. That’s not just a loss of glycogen and water.

[quote]

Obviously it isn?t but the first few pounds were mostly water and glycogen. How would you know if they could have lost the same amount of FAT not WEIGHT if they would of gone with moderate carbs and high protein.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
I myself have lost a total of 20 pounds over two stints on the Rapid Fat Loss Diet and am keeping it off. I lost two inches on my waist. That’s not just a matter of losing water and glycogen.

The OP is asking about losing weight QUICK. Maybe I don’t know what he means by quick. Bodybuilders don’t get ready for competition quickly; their contest prep can take 3 to 4 and in some cases, five months. Quick to me is a span of 2 to 6 weeks. Quick weight loss requires consuming the LEAST amount of calories while maintaining muscle mass.

Let’s take a 200 pound guy with 15% bodyfat. He has 30 pounds of LBM. His maintenance kcal amount is 3,000 kcals. What’s going to work quicker? A modest caloric deficit of 10 to 15% (300 to 450 kcals) or very-low-calorie and low-carb diet consisting of ~1,300 to 1,500 calories coming lean protein and fibrous vegetables and a small amount of EFAs?

[quote]

Isn?t that what I said? Keep the protein high and calories lower than maintenance (how much depends on the individual). If I was eating 1500 calories per day and my protein intake was high it would not make a difference weather I ate carbs or fat to reach my calories for the day.

“If I was eating 1500 calories per day and my protein intake was high it would not make a difference weather I ate carbs or fat to reach my calories for the day.”

This is very ambiguous. When calories are below 1,500 calories, maintaining a high level of protein intake would require removing the other macronutrients drastically.

Yes, it does make a difference. When calorie are VERY LOW (keyword: VERY), the macronutrient composition of the diet becomes very important. That’s why quite a few studies using very-low-calorie (<1,200 kcals) diets have been conducted with diferent macronutrient compositions. The ones with a relatively higher-carb and -fat percentage do a poor job at preserving muscle compared to ones consisting of nearly all protein.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
“If I was eating 1500 calories per day and my protein intake was high it would not make a difference weather I ate carbs or fat to reach my calories for the day.”

This is very ambiguous. When calories are below 1,500 calories, maintaining a high level of protein intake would require removing the other macronutrients drastically.

Yes, it does make a difference. When calorie are VERY LOW (keyword: VERY), the macronutrient composition of the diet becomes very important. That’s why quite a few studies using very-low-calorie (<1,200 kcals) diets have been conducted with diferent macronutrient compositions. The ones with a relatively higher-carb and -fat percentage do a poor job at preserving muscle compared to ones consisting of nearly all protein. [/quote]

Look man I have tried both. I’m not getting my info from bullshit studies. Studies don’t prove anything but the results a few people got. I’ve gotten lean eating all sorts of carbs as well as all sorts of fats . As long as my calories were under control everything works out at the end.