T Nation

Losing Fat & Maintaining All Strength

Hello guys

At the moment i’ve got some unwanted fat. I’ve been progressing really well with my best ever strength gains. Now I want to spend 3 - 4 weeks stripping as much fat as I can, thing is I dont want to lose ANY of my gains. What would you all suggest?

I have had very good success with carb back loading. check out dangerously hardcore dot com

FYI you’ll see a few of the EFS pro’s doing CBL too. You can check out their logs for real deal “proof” that they have not only maintained but improved on their strength.

I’ll agree with that. I’ve come down in weight closer to my actual weight class yet my strength has continued to go up. Down to 186 from 192. Going to see how far I can take it and if I get to around 180 lbs I may even compete in the 165’s for a bit before coming back up.

[quote]Bailey H wrote:
Hello guys

At the moment i’ve got some unwanted fat. I’ve been progressing really well with my best ever strength gains. Now I want to spend 3 - 4 weeks stripping as much fat as I can, thing is I dont want to lose ANY of my gains. What would you all suggest?[/quote]

What is your height/ weight/ BF/ lifts ?

How much do you want to lose?

Difficult to answer without this info.

Put me in on this thread I am interested.

[quote]Bailey H wrote:
Hello guys

At the moment i’ve got some unwanted fat. I’ve been progressing really well with my best ever strength gains. Now I want to spend 3 - 4 weeks stripping as much fat as I can, thing is I dont want to lose ANY of my gains. What would you all suggest?[/quote]

A good start would be to clean up your current diet (if there’s room for improvement)If your eating processed food…start by eliminating those. You’d be surprised how fast you lose garbage pounds when you do this. Doing some light to medium conditioning will also help without sacrificing strength.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
I’ll agree with that. I’ve come down in weight closer to my actual weight class yet my strength has continued to go up. Down to 186 from 192. Going to see how far I can take it and if I get to around 180 lbs I may even compete in the 165’s for a bit before coming back up.[/quote]

Another one for CBL. I tried the diet by just piecing together what I could from various articles. I went from 289 to 272 in about 3 weeks, setting many PR’s along the way. To be honest I’ve had to hold off the dogs a little bit, I’m afraid if I lose much more weight my gear won’t work right.

I did CBL as follows

8a-12p: Coffee
12p-4p: Protein and fat
4p-6:30p: Workout
6:30p-7p: Didn’t eat anything. Did this because of “insulin sensitivity.” Beyond that, not sure why
7p-7:30p: Bananas, protein powder, water
7:30p-11p: Whatever carbs I wanted. Tried to stick to white rice and potatoes, but I love junk food.

Varied slightly depending on what time I woke up, trained, and slept, but with that I lost 8lbs in 2 weeks running Westside. Not sure how much of that was pure fat loss, but I did look leaner. Didn’t notice anything different about my training at all. Broke some PRs, of course, but that’s training as usual.

Right now I’m on Paleo, where I just don’t eat anything manmade. In some parts of the world this is considered, “life as usual.” Crazy foreigners. Lost 4lbs in one week, waiting until Wednesday to weigh myself again.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
I have had very good success with carb back loading. check out dangerously hardcore dot com

FYI you’ll see a few of the EFS pro’s doing CBL too. You can check out their logs for real deal “proof” that they have not only maintained but improved on their strength. [/quote]

Interesting discussion.

From the research I’ve done, eating carbs after strength training is a big no-no. HGH release is at its peak after heavy resistance training and eating carbs will spike insulin. Insulin will drastically lower the amount and therefore effects of the HGH in the body. Wouldn’t it then make sense to leave carbs for the morning and stick to low carb/high protein meals in the evening?

This walking plan is great…

Also eliminate all sugar and shitty carbs

From the research I’ve done, eating carbs after strength training is a big no-no. HGH release is at its peak after heavy resistance training and eating carbs will spike insulin. Insulin will drastically lower the amount and therefore effects of the HGH in the body. Wouldn’t it then make sense to leave carbs for the morning and stick to low carb/high protein meals in the evening?

[/quote]

Insulin also works to decrease proteolysis and lipolysis and increase amino acid and glucose (obviously) uptake into cells. That’s pretty anabolic.

[quote]frankjl wrote:

I’ll agree with that. I’ve come down in weight closer to my actual weight class yet my strength has continued to go up. Down to 186 from 192. Going to see how far I can take it and if I get to around 180 lbs I may even compete in the 165’s for a bit before coming back up.[/quote]

Another one for CBL. I tried the diet by just piecing together what I could from various articles. I went from 289 to 272 in about 3 weeks, setting many PR’s along the way. To be honest I’ve had to hold off the dogs a little bit, I’m afraid if I lose much more weight my gear won’t work right.[/quote]

I had that problem. I’m just now taking a spin in gear and the suit I had bought (when I was 210) is now super loose, so much so that I can fit a hand up in the leg area and have a lot of slack in the sides and hips. Gives me some support but nothing like what I imagine it should which is okay by me since I’m using it mainly to help keep my hips a bit healthier and to overload a bit for my raw training.

[quote]Stimpak wrote:

FYI you’ll see a few of the EFS pro’s doing CBL too. You can check out their logs for real deal “proof” that they have not only maintained but improved on their strength. [/quote]

Interesting discussion.

[/quote]

Read more research. In particular go read stuff by John Kiefer who compiles 1000’s of sources for your viewing pleasure.

[quote]Stimpak wrote:

Interesting discussion.

[/quote]

Read more research. In particular go read stuff by John Kiefer who compiles 1000’s of sources for your viewing pleasure.[/quote]

I stopped where he says “I eat cherry turnovers, hamburgers and fries, ice cream and cheesecake”, and then it proceeds to show his six pack.

Looks like a terrible infomercial to me.

Lift heavy and eat less!

[quote]Stimpak wrote:

[quote]Stimpak wrote:

Interesting discussion.

[/quote]

Read more research. In particular go read stuff by John Kiefer who compiles 1000’s of sources for your viewing pleasure.[/quote]

I stopped where he says “I eat cherry turnovers, hamburgers and fries, ice cream and cheesecake”, and then it proceeds to show his six pack.

Looks like a terrible infomercial to me.

[/quote]

Shouldn’t have stopped.

There are plenty here that have had great success with it, and plenty of other top powerlifters that have as well. I’m leaner than I was 8 weeks ago at my last meet, and stronger even though my weight is down about 7 lbs. He’s all about using junk food to ones advantage and other top nutritionists have as well, in particular Ken “Skip” Hall. The diet definitely isn’t eating garbage all the time just using it at certain times to illicit specific hormonal responses.

The research is there, hell in the actual CBL book there is something like 11,000 citations (and not just a bunch of garbage citations like most research - I even bothered to read through about 100 or so of the actual papers out of interest).

Very rarely am I actually going to buy an e-book, much less pay $90 for one, and yet I did with his book even though I’m sure I could have found it for free easy enough.

http://articles.elitefts.com/nutrition/carb-back-loading/

The article that started it all and as you’ll notice no 6 packs being shown except on that quite good looking lady which I’m okay with. Read through it and then make a judgement. You’ve got to remember that this industry is a lot of market BS and for someone to make money - especially with an e-book that is likely to be downloaded for free on the net for the morally ambiguous - even someone with quality work may indeed need to partake in the marketing BS side of things, and I don’t blame him one bit considering the results are there for myself and for many other top lifters and others here as well.

I’m a firm believer that there are many ways to reach a goal, this is just one that has seemed to be effective for myself and others (I’ve had other methods be similarly successful but this was by far the most enjoyable and easiest on me).

[quote]Stimpak wrote:

Interesting discussion.

[/quote]

Yeah Ive seen research going both ways on that. Im currently moving to 198 for my next meet in October (down from 242) and Im not following CBL just yet. I will try it afterwards though. Way I see it, Im cutting weight and not dropping much strength, so Im not gonna fix whats not broken, but with all the good reviews on CBL, I will give it a run after this meet.