Losing Body Fat by Just Eating Clean?

Hi everyone. Background info: 32 yrs old, 230 lbs, 5’10” tall, 41.5” waistline, training seriously since high school. Been having good success with 531 from Jim Wendler. As u can see my waistline is pretty big, by the end of the year I’d like to get it down to 37-38”, but I don’t want my lifting to go through the floor. I’ll admit my eating habits aren’t the greatest. These 2 articles caught my attention over the weekend. In every1s opinion that’s been in the same boat is this a good place to start rather then worrying about calories, macros, etc? I have always gotten my 1g per pound of body weight of protein in though so I’m good there at least. I have no intention to be shredded like a bodybuilder, but I do want to keep getting stronger even if it slows down a bit I’m fine with that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

You need to eat less total calories. You can eat “clean” and still get fat.

2 Likes

I had almost the same stats as you this time last year (ish), 2 extra inches in height and significantly weaker would be the only big difference. I lost the first 20lbs or so by making a concerted effort to not eat shit. Then, once I’d got all the low hanging fruit, I started counting calories etc.

2 Likes

It’s a good long term strategy. Your strength might take a hit, but will come back unless you really get to a low bodyweight.

I’m in the same boat. Same height, and 225 lbs. I think my stomach is 39 at the naval. Want to get to 34 inch.

Yeah x2 with this. just cut out the junk/clean things up and hit the gym hard on template off this site and you can lean out the first 20lbs pretty fast. 5/3/1 Krypteia or Beach Body Challenge are particularly good for cranking up the fatloss

Very cool. So did u worry about macros @ all besides protein? Like did u make it a point to go either low carb or low fat even though the carbs u were eating were probably mainly stuff like oats, rice, potatoes & the fats were good kinds rather then sugar & processed junk?

Yeah I recently purchased 531 forever & the krypteria program is in there. Following Jim’s advice in the book though I don’t think I’m conditioned enough yet to do it

Not for the first 20lbs or so. I literally just made sure that I was cutting out the crap and that was it. No counting anything, no thoughts about macros, just “don’t eat shit”. YMMV

Ok. I appreciate the responses, gave me a lot of confidence bc I’ll admit I have a bad habit of overthinking things especially when I’m new to something haha! Thanks again