Losing a Step

I agree with you totally. The ones who don’t think for the long term don’t last for long. I don’t claim to be perfect as far as diet, lifestyle, training, etc. but I was definitely better about it than some of these kids coming up today. It definitely helped that I trained and learned from old - timers back then (late '80’s, and most had been training since the 50’s and 60’s) who taught me form, etc. the right way. My programs have changed as time goes on (as they should!!!), but to this day, every time I squat, I hear my old partner screaming at me to get all the way down or I was just a pussy who didn’t deserve to squat!!! That’s just crap you don’t see today, and when you do, the kids don’t listen.

Just have to “Step in” (excuse the pun) on this one. It does take longer to recover as you age! However, you guys are right, by starting young and keeping at it you are way ahead of those who start later on in life.

The real issue is health and one of the most important factors that most people don’t realise is the strength of your immune system (IS). Do something to strengthen your IS is the best advice I can give anyone.

Age 61, been training for 44 years and still lift and eat wisely.

[quote]kroc30 wrote:
I agree with you totally. The ones who don’t think for the long term don’t last for long. I don’t claim to be perfect as far as diet, lifestyle, training, etc. but I was definitely better about it than some of these kids coming up today.

It definitely helped that I trained and learned from old - timers back then (late '80’s, and most had been training since the 50’s and 60’s) who taught me form, etc. the right way.

My programs have changed as time goes on (as they should!!!), but to this day, every time I squat, I hear my old partner screaming at me to get all the way down or I was just a pussy who didn’t deserve to squat!!! That’s just crap you don’t see today, and when you do, the kids don’t listen. [/quote]

So true. I remember learning to squat and the owner of the gym’s name was Ron of (you guessed it ) Ron’s Gym in Toronto. To this day his words echo in my head when I’m squatting…

“Look up here at my bald head, not at the ground” in his thick accent.
Learning the right way.

[quote]Guys who are not built for the Bench Press but do it anyway- (this one always makes me popular)

Oh well…
[/quote]

This intrigues me. Are there structural characteristics that relate to ability / proficiency in particular lifts that are generally agreed on? I know I have heard several over the years, i.e. short arms are better for bench, tall guys can’t dealift, and so on. But have these really been tested in any regimented way? Or are they really along the line of the “hardgainer” idea (which is usually a training / diet issue)?
Rather than hijack this thread, which AI am enjoying, I will start a new one in the hopes of garnering some new info…

Hey i have been replying to your e-mail by mistake j dawg.What can i say duh i’m a old dumb powerlifter.

The not reaching your full potential makes sense.I feel i’ll break my submasters total this year in june at the NASA masters.I’m 51 now and my lifts are 10-15% off of my last meet in 93.I have to train smart,and listen to my body tell me to rest or go for it.