Losing a Pet

clip, so sorry for your loss. this is/was my boy, Cyrus around his 12th b-day. he passed in January, he was 12 1/2 years old. He’d been with me since i was 23…i’m 36 now. we had a heck of a run together.

knowing how blessed i was, to have him healthy for so many yrs makes it easier i suppose.

I miss him everyday and think of him every night and every morning. i posted a vid by Jimmy Stewart - on the Johnny Carson show, he read a great poem about his dog Beau. you should watch it.

Anyways, your boy’s spirit is near you. My condolences for your loss. Cyrus was a 110lb big ol’ white shepherd like your boy, take care. Nothing really can be said to make things feel better, but take comfort in knowing he was loved whole-heartedly, and loved you the same!

ps- OG so sorry to hear you lost your friend, very sorry.

lost my boy last january. I feel your pain. my condolences. he was beautiful
i dont know how to add a link and im crying too much to figure it out google THE RAINBOW BRIDGE best to you

Wow you guys on here amaze me at times. It not just all testosterone, you guys show alot of heart too.
I can’t imagine anything harder than losing my dogs, i’ve already lost 2 to cancer and its quite unbearable to see my babies suffer. I feel your pain OP, the best way(if there is one) is to express your feeling, be it on here, another forum or in reallife to help ease your own hurt.

i know how you feel OP.

when i was about 7 years old, i was playing outside when i watched the neighbors cat eat my favorite lego character. i then went inside and got my mom’s marble rolling pin and ending up hitting the cat, breaking it’s back. i then brought the cat over to my neighbor’s house, crying and telling them i’d watched their cat get run over by a car. hoping they could save it, they ended up bringing it to the vet. when the cat died there, and the vet couldnt understand how it’s injuries resulted from a car, they autopsied it, finding my lego guy in there.

busted.

It’s funny how dogs are…you see one pic and you can love them instantly, and feel so sad because you know that dog is gone forever.

It’s like a whole sad movie crammed into one picture.

My dog was 21 when we took him to the vets. He had been in a bad way for a while and expected the vets to put him down. Broke our hearts when the vet said he’s just old, nothing technically wrong, and its ‘your decision’. Fucking broke my heart making that decision when I’m there stroking him. Hardest thing I’ve had to do is say goodbye and walk away when he was trying to come with us. I was in pieces for days after.

Losing pets can be devastating - doesn’t matter that they’re not human, they’re a companion and a member of the family.
I’m sorry to hear about your shepherd, Clip - what a beautiful dog he was.
Also very sorry to hear about Simon, OG. Tuxedo cats are pure win.
The one thing I say to people when they lose a pet is that they might have lost a much-treasured companion, but that animal had a great life that they might not have otherwise had if they’d wound up with someone else (or even homeless, in the case of rescues).

It’s a heartbreaker - I’ve had to say goodbye to more than one - it sucks any way you slice it…

not human? we are all mammals. we are all living breathing creatures. We love to distiguish ourselves as humans. but we are no better or worse than any other mammal. and they are not pets. they are companions, family members.

If anything, dogs not being human makes them even more lovable. They have no faults.

[quote]cyruseven75 wrote:
clip, so sorry for your loss. this is/was my boy, Cyrus around his 12th b-day. he passed in January, he was 12 1/2 years old. He’d been with me since i was 23…i’m 36 now. we had a heck of a run together.

knowing how blessed i was, to have him healthy for so many yrs makes it easier i suppose.

I miss him everyday and think of him every night and every morning. i posted a vid by Jimmy Stewart - on the Johnny Carson show, he read a great poem about his dog Beau. you should watch it.

Anyways, your boy’s spirit is near you. My condolences for your loss. Cyrus was a 110lb big ol’ white shepherd like your boy, take care. Nothing really can be said to make things feel better, but take comfort in knowing he was loved whole-heartedly, and loved you the same!

ps- OG so sorry to hear you lost your friend, very sorry.[/quote]

So beautiful…

Sorry for you loss CS, OG and OP.

In the world which we know, among the different and primitive geniuses that preside over the evolution of the several species, there exists not one, excepting that of the dog, that ever gave a thought to the presence of man. ~Maurice Maeterlinck

The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man’s. ~Mark Twain

That’s a good one, but this next one is my favorite;

Near this spot are deposited the remains of one who possessed Beauty without Vanity, Strength without Insolence, Courage without Ferocity, and all the Virtues of Man, without his Vices. This Praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery if inscribed over human ashes, is but a just tribute to the Memory of Boatswain, a Dog. ~George Gordon, Lord Byron, “Inscription on the Monument of a Newfoundland Dog”

As far as the dog knows, you’re still together. You never left him, time caught up.

Be happy you had so much time, dont make your memories sad and over time, it’ll hurt less.

I fear the day my cat Lucas is gone. Chokes me up thinking about it.

Clip, my condolences.

This is a story that illustrates how faithful a dog is. When people ask me why my dogs mean so much to me and tell me that they’re “just dogs” I pass this on to them.

Some years ago Senator Vest, of Missouri, happened into a small town where a court case was in progress. The plaintiff was suing the defendant for the malicious killing of his dog, and the senator was asked by the attorney for the plaintiff to assist him. Evidence pro and con was adduced, but there was no certainty as to the finding the jury would arrive at until the senator took the floor and addressed them:

“Gentlemen of the jury,” the senator said in a quietly modulated tone, "the best friend a man has in the world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has he may lose. It flies away from him in a moment of ill considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honour when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its clouds upon our heads. The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog. A man’s dog stands by him in prosperity and poverty, in health and sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master’s side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer; he will lick the wounds and sores that come in an encounter with the roughness of the world.

He guards the sleep of his pauper master, as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him, to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies, and when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace, and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by the graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad, but open in watchfulness, faithful and true even in death."

The plaintiff had sued for $200.00; the jury’s verdict was in his favour to the amount of $500.00."

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
i know how you feel OP.

when i was about 7 years old, i was playing outside when i watched the neighbors cat eat my favorite lego character. i then went inside and got my mom’s marble rolling pin and ending up hitting the cat, breaking it’s back. i then brought the cat over to my neighbor’s house, crying and telling them i’d watched their cat get run over by a car. hoping they could save it, they ended up bringing it to the vet. when the cat died there, and the vet couldnt understand how it’s injuries resulted from a car, they autopsied it, finding my lego guy in there.

busted.[/quote]

I spit coffee all over my computer screen

nice

[quote]cyruseven75 wrote:

ps- OG so sorry to hear you lost your friend, very sorry.[/quote]

Yeah, he was in good health until about Wednesday, and he started getting very sick and he died Friday morning. Im 24 and Gabe has been with me since I was 12. I was still in middle school when we brought him home as a puppy.

This is a youtube video my sister made in memory of Gabe…

I just had to dig a hole today for the family cat who passed on.

I think burying them is a sign of respect for them.

Helps anyway.