T Nation

Lose Weight, Gain Muscle

I’m more understanding if it’s a cold, or flu - (though I usually train through light sickness, just try not to keep my heart BPM low) - but if it’s just a cough, I don’t see why you’d stop training.

Reading my above post, I’d like to say in advance that if you have been taking in the advice provided by the knowledgeable cats posting in this thread, good on you. Whatever the case, hope you make good progress in '09.

No, its not just a cough or light sickness … every muscle in my body aches as I hack up portions of my lungs in between bouts of diarrhea and cold sweats. I was just trying to spare everyone the gory details in my description.

The good news is there was no nausea (I hate vomiting), and the test was negative for strep throat. I’m feeling better, but still have a cough every time I lay down. I’m lucky to get 4 hours of sleep a night right now.

A few more days I should be back to normal I hope. Plan to do a light workout tonight just to stretch my muscles out, they are stiff and tight.

-Joe

[quote]KeetKeeper wrote:
No, its not just a cough or light sickness … every muscle in my body aches as I hack up portions of my lungs in between bouts of diarrhea and cold sweats. I was just trying to spare everyone the gory details in my description.

The good news is there was no nausea (I hate vomiting), and the test was negative for strep throat. I’m feeling better, but still have a cough every time I lay down. I’m lucky to get 4 hours of sleep a night right now.

A few more days I should be back to normal I hope. Plan to do a light workout tonight just to stretch my muscles out, they are stiff and tight.

-Joe
[/quote]

I think that’s a bit more than a cold. Sorry that I implied you were a pussy.

I realize I’m a bit late on this but I have a few things to add. The problem with limiting your intake of calories by TOO much is that your metabolism will slow after a short while in order to use fewer calories (probably why you saw significant weight loss when first changing your diet).

I would also like to add that, especially when trying to build muscle, it’s extremely beneficial to take in about as many grams of protein as your body weight in pounds (.9 - 1.2 grams per pound is a good range, more than that seems to be overkill).

On the protein shakes, you might try using soy milk, I prefer Silk Light Vanilla.

Hope you’ve seen good progress since your last post.

[quote]300andabove wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:

Now about your exercise. Once you stick around this board for a while you will learn that most of the members here who have good physiques are exercising 6-7 days a week. I take maybe 1 off day a month myself. Obviously you will have to work up to this but working out every 3rd day will get you no where. And for your cardio, I’d stop measuring miles and go for time on your bike. DO interval training, ride normally for 60 seconds and then pedal as fast as you can for 20-30 seconds. Do this for 20-30 mins twice a week. It has been proven to be the most effective fat burning method, big mistake if you choose to do cardio that isn’t interval training when you want to burn fat.

Hope I helped, and remember age 38 isn’t old, so don’t use that as an excuse to not work your ass off.

You train 7 DAYS A WEEK ???

Wow !

Dude the best thing you could do to gain size is to STAY away from the gym for 1 whole week.

Eat as normal but dont do ANYTHING.

If your doing all that every day, your body will supercompensate like frigging crazy 1 day off a MONTH ?
[/quote]

Is this post serious? I trained like that for years in school often only taking days off when needed which may have been every two or three weeks. I was also only doing one body part a day and I grew just fine. Why do you think people are incapable of this? And no, I was not on drugs. I often write this as “6 days a week” just to avoid the people who think like you.

The people with the genetics to truly stand out doing this do not have such limited recovery as you seem to think.

I would take days off when I actually needed them, not according to a schedule. I am sure waylander is doing it the same way. He has the advantage because while he is listening to his own body, you are simply going by some set schedule.

Want to make bets on who makes more progress?

Waylander is not a newbie so questioning how he trains assumes his progress is a fluke.

I take at least one day off a week now because of my current schedule. Do the rest of you just ignore how your body is actually responding? You just go around telling everyone how many days they need off from training without looking at their progress?

Prof X, I think you just got trolled…