T Nation

Lose Weight But Gain Muscle?

I'll admit, I'm a total newb to the lifting scene.  I just started working out and my goal is to lose some weight and gain some muscle.  I'm 5'10" and weight around 178 pounds.  So I have to take in at least 1g of protein per pound. 

Food is of course the biggest contributor to the protein intake but I’ve heard alot of people use whey protein as well along with food. Well, whey has around 800+ calories per serving. How am I supposed to lose weight but gain muscle this way? I’d be taking in more than 2000 calories per day…
Help me out here plz

What kind of whey have you been looking at?

Metabolic Drive in the shop here has 100kcal per serving.

[quote]Lifter87 wrote:
I’ll admit, I’m a total newb to the lifting scene. I just started working out and my goal is to lose some weight and gain some muscle. I’m 5’10" and weight around 178 pounds. So I have to take in at least 1g of protein per pound.

Food is of course the biggest contributor to the protein intake but I’ve heard alot of people use whey protein as well along with food. Well, whey has around 800+ calories per serving. How am I supposed to lose weight but gain muscle this way? I’d be taking in more than 2000 calories per day…
Help me out here plz[/quote]

Welcome. At the earliest stages of lifting it’s certainly possible to gain muscle and drop fat at the same time. Merely having the new stimulus will cause hypertrophy even in the absence of overeating.

W/ regard to whey, and nutrition in general, you need to learn some basics. Protein has 4 calories per gram. So does carbohydrate. Fat has 9 calories per gram. A straight whey protein powder derives the huge majority of its calories from protein. So, 800 calories from whey protein would be 200 grams of protein. This is WAY more than a single serving’s worth. Even the heaviest weight-gainers out there will usually have fewer than 800 calories per serving. I have no idea where you got that data.

Anyway, this site is a good resource for a beginner, poke around, learn as much as you can, and don’t get too drawn in by the fancy programming, diets, supplements, etc. As long as you squat, deadlift, eat your protein, eat your veggies, drink your water and get enough sleep you will progress.

Good luck.

I’ll give this a go before the angry flamers get in on it. First, read the beginners tips stickied at the top of the beginners forum.

Second, your goals are conflicting. Gaining muscle requires excess calories and losing weight requires a calorie deficit. Pick one. At 178lbs, I suggest gaining muscle. Worry about cutting after you’re significantly above 200lbs, and not before.

Third, if your whey powder has 800cal/serving, you’re looking at a weight gaining protein product. Plain ol’ whey should have something around 100cal/serving. You’re right about the amount, though. Try to hit around 1g/lb of body weight every day and lift your ass off. Good luck.

GOOD stuuf above readt that beginners thread.

Being a newbie LOSE the friggin scale dont concentrate on losing weight but gaining muscle and losing FAT its very possible for a newbie. You may lose flab and size and actually get heavier muscle is more dense then fat.

Train hard and consistant, nail a solid consistant diet and rest etc do them ALL for a fw years and youll be well on your way to having a solid base to continue to build from

Phill

Thanks for the help everyone. I appritiate it. I’ll look around the newb section but which whey protein would you guys recommend?

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=525024

[quote]Lifter87 wrote:How am I supposed to lose weight but gain muscle this way? I’d be taking in more than 2000 calories per day…
Help me out here plz[/quote]

Can’t do both, at least effectively. 2000cals a day and you’d lose weight, some of which being muscle.

It can easily be done, especially as a beginner. I’m doing it right now. I’m more of an inconsistent trainer.

Just remember, both goals(and they are separate) will not see as dramatic a change as if you go after one of them alone.

Dorian Yates said, and I paraphrase, that it was stupid to try and gain muscle at the start since your next cutting would lose some of what you worked to gain. He advised to lean up first, then seriously build muscle.

Your strategy should reflect your lifestyle and goals. Please don’t make a mistake I see lots of people make: Remember we train to enhance our lives, training itself is not the goal.

Here’s my log:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1428136

I’ll be happy to help if I can.

EDIT: Also, in your first post, I think you my be referring to a ‘weight gainer’ type of shake as opposed to a protein supplement.

[quote]vulcan500rider wrote:
I’ll give this a go before the angry flamers get in on it. First, read the beginners tips stickied at the top of the beginners forum.

Second, your goals are conflicting. Gaining muscle requires excess calories and losing weight requires a calorie deficit. Pick one. At 178lbs, I suggest gaining muscle. Worry about cutting after you’re significantly above 200lbs, and not before.

Third, if your whey powder has 800cal/serving, you’re looking at a weight gaining protein product. Plain ol’ whey should have something around 100cal/serving. You’re right about the amount, though. Try to hit around 1g/lb of body weight every day and lift your ass off. Good luck.[/quote]

definitely disagree with this guy. you are a beginner so it will be easy to lose fat and build muscle at first. The scale may not tell you this because of the muscle you are gaining but you should notice yourself leaning out.

[quote]Reuben wrote:
It can easily be done, especially as a beginner. I’m doing it right now. I’m more of an inconsistent trainer.

Just remember, both goals(and they are separate) will not see as dramatic a change as if you go after one of them alone.

Dorian Yates said, and I paraphrase, that it was stupid to try and gain muscle at the start since your next cutting would lose some of what you worked to gain. He advised to lean up first, then seriously build muscle.

Your strategy should reflect your lifestyle and goals. Please don’t make a mistake I see lots of people make: Remember we train to enhance our lives, training itself is not the goal.

Here’s my log:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1428136

I’ll be happy to help if I can.

EDIT: Also, in your first post, I think you my be referring to a ‘weight gainer’ type of shake as opposed to a protein supplement.[/quote]

Everyone who starts lifting isn’t over 23% body fat like you are. That quote from Dorian Yates wouldn’t be appropriate for most beginners of average weight. Considering many trainers don’t ever even diet down until after several years of lifting, it would make little sense to assume you will simply lose any muscle mass gained.

I didn’t mean all gains would be lost, but your point is taken.

On that note, is it helpful if beginners posted their stats? I did,but I haven’t seen many others do it. I assumed it would help with the specificity of advice.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
vulcan500rider wrote:

Third, if your whey powder has 800cal/serving, you’re looking at a weight gaining protein product. Plain ol’ whey should have something around 100cal/serving. You’re right about the amount, though. Try to hit around 1g/lb of body weight every day and lift your ass off. Good luck.

definitely disagree with this guy. you are a beginner so it will be easy to lose fat and build muscle at first. The scale may not tell you this because of the muscle you are gaining but you should notice yourself leaning out.[/quote]

Aloha!

New to T-Nation (just today in fact) and didn’t know where to start to try to get some advice, so I looked at what was similar to my questions.

I am new to the weight lifting body building scene. Started in December and just recently have been taking some supplements. I am 43 years old, 6’0 tall and 215 lbs. What I wanted to achieve was a more vascular and massive look as well of course strength. I have been taking Super Pump 250 in the mornings before working out and BSN’s CellMass right after working out. For protein, I was taking the Muscle Milk until I found out about the better product in Whey. I feel stronger and have gained some mass but, am still looking for more. I heard about testosterone supplements from people but, neither know enough about it nor do I know how to take it with the CellMass Creatine and my recently started Nitrix also from BSN. I am stopping the pre workout Super Pump 250, as I did not feel any benefits working out as early as I do at 4:00am. If anyone can give me some advice as to what I should be taking and maybe giving me a good mix, I’d appreciate it! Thank you very much!

Welcome to T-Nation, HaynSupaman! I see it’s your first post. (grin)

Even though the site is sponsored by Biotest (a supplement company), I think you’ll see more recommendations from members that you get your diet, workout and cardio in order. Before we discuss the supplements you’re taking, are you:

• Eating every 3 to 4 hours (5 or 6 “meals” per day
  • Getting enough protein (1g x BW per day and that amount divided roughly equally between the number of meals you are eating)
  • Taking in your good fats (Omega 3s and Monounsaturated fats) and avoiding the bad ones
  • Optimizing PWO nutrition
  • Making sure you never work out on an empty stomach (i.e., fasted state)
  • Eating fruit, beans and fibrous green veggies (good for sustained, slow-release, non-insulin spiking energy)
  • Keeping a daily food log and weighing & measuring once a week (so that you can tweak and adjust and fine-tune your progress)

And that’s just the DIET part of things. (grin) We could start another list for resistance training and cardio, things like picking a well designed program and switching it out every 6 to 8 weeks (or at the completion of the program), cardio that supports your goals (like HIIT which is High Intensity Interval Training), a high percentage of compound multi-joint exercises (like squats, deadlifts, pullups (not pull-downs!)) and plenty of sleep, etc.

With your diet and workout dialed in, then we could then take a look at your supplement regimen.

Just do some reading, HaynSupaman – forum and articles, both. You’ll learn a ton. And has oft been stated here on T-Nation, “The search engine is your friend!” (grin)

MAHALO! Tampa Terry for the advice. Doing all of the above except for monitoring or logging of the diet. Eating a lot of green veggies but, just a little fruit.

With what I am taking now, NITRIX in the morning, noon and night on an empty stomach. Cellmass right after I work out, Muscle Milk 4 Times a day and Mega Men’s Multi Vitamin 2 times a day.

What I was wondering is if I can incorporate TRIBEX with this combo or should I incorporate Testosterone during my rest period of the creatine, or should I just go with the testosterone and no creatine?

Thanks!
Haynsupaman

Good for you, HaynSupaman!!!

MAHALO!

Since I had to look it up to see what it means, I guess I just learned a new word, so Mahalo for that!!! (grin)

I like the 2-a-day multi you’re taking. Re the Nitrix, check out the following article, http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1445574

I think something like TRIBEX or Alpha Male would round out your regimen nicely and would be a good investment. Either one will give your T levels a bit of a boost. Men in their 40s (or older?) benefit a lot more from T-booster type supps than men in their 20s. Testosterone itself is a hormone prescribed by a doctor when T levels are too low. That’s not something you’d want to be taking without blood tests.

Re tracking/logging your food intake, it sounds like you’re pretty on top of your game as it is, but it’s still a useful exercise. If you’re making steady progress towards your goals, no need. If you’re trying to take it up a notch and push your limits, it can be a handy tool for short periods. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best, and let us know how it goes. It’s always great to hear people’s success stories!

Aloha! (grin)