T Nation

Lose The Flab Or Bulk F irst?

I want to continue to drop my bf and see a good ol sixpack but I also know I can’t put on muscle with a low calorie diet. Also, many people say u gain fat when bulking so it is better to cut after and not before…

Is the fat you gain muscle fat or do u get some in the gutt as well? Would it be beter to alternate, cut, bulk, cut…etc…Do a 6 week bulk period and then cut for 3-4 weeks?

Any recommendations, if I want to get “the best of both worlds”?

Yes I have HOT-ROX…

If you are already lean you should have no problem bulking before cutting. However, if not so lean, cutting first is usually the best option. I’d look up this article…“Training Quiz for Smartasses” by CT. He outlines a bulking/cutting cycle in it that should help you out.

Late,

Danny

This as Dboy said is all due to what %bf you are at now. If you are overly fat it would be a good idea to cut a bit first and depending on how fat you are you might be able to gain LBM while losinmg a little fat.

Other than that I would suggest trying to stay away from the yoyo of cutting/bulking over and over to much. This will just lead to minimal gains and stagnation. Try and accheive a long term bulk where you consistantly add on LBM while limiting fat gain. Once you nail a solid diet you should be able to slowly add LBM for months on end never getting to far out from being CUT. The less dieting you have to do the better.

Dieting is just a sure way to risk LBM loss.

Just my 2 CC.

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
I would suggest trying to stay away from the yoyo of cutting/bulking over and over to much. This will just lead to minimal gains and stagnation. Try and accheive a long term bulk where you consistantly add on LBM while limiting fat gain. Once you nail a solid diet you should be able to slowly add LBM for months on end never getting to far out from being CUT. The less dieting you have to do the better.
Phill [/quote]

As usual, words of widsom from Phill. Very good advice.

I have dropped 10 pnds using the mutation series and my arm size etc are the same, a bit bigger now I think. So I have cutt of some fat, almost 2 pant sizes. When i started i was around 17-18% bf (rough guess) and am am assuminh I have hit 15%. Do you guys think I should keep cutting now after the series is over or take some time off and bulk for a few months? I have fixed up my nutrition pretty well I think over the series, but I continue to perfect it with Beriardism…:slight_smile: