T Nation

Lordstorm88's Progress Log

edit 3rd december 07

19 years old, around 93.5 kgs, 184 cm tall. been going for 3 months and started rippetoe's starting strength program my meals changed to be something like this

i rarely get 7 meals but anyway

1)chicken or some other meat or tuna, banana, about 500 ml of milk 1.5% fat and reduced lactose
2)again some meat+and some veggies
3)again some meat+brown rice before workout
4)again some meat+chocolate milk after workout
5)again some meat+some veggies+apple
6)again some meat+some veggies
7)cottage cheese and maybe some meat

the veggies vary and usually are corn, peas, chili, cauliflower, broccolli, carrots, and other stuff i dont really remember haha. sometimes ill throw in some orange juice too. whether i eat meat or not depends on how many meals ive had and how much protein ive gotten. generally i try to eat about 1kg of meat/fish per day which is around 250 grams of protein. add some protein from other stuff and i reach 300-350.

workout A)
5 mins bicycle with lots of resistance usually
dynamic warm up
static warm up
warm up with the barbell.. squats.. military presses etc
and before each exercise i do warmups with less weight
3*5 squats
3*5 bench press
1*5 deadlift
some decline crunches with added 11 lbs weight

workout B)
5 mins bicycle with lots of resistance usually
dynamic warm up
static warm up
warm up with the barbell.. squats.. military presses etc
and before each exercise i do warmups with less weight
3*5 squats
3*5 military/overhead press
5*3 pendlay rows
some decline crunches with added 11 lbs weight usually 3 sets of 15 reps

current stats(reps*weight in kgs)
squat:5*85
bench press: 5*77.5
deadlift: 5*110
military press: 5*50
pendlay rows: 5*55

okay im 19, about 97 kgs right now, 184 cm tall. ive been going to the gym for a bit over a month now, started at about 104 kgs and im trying to lose weight currently. im trying to go for a diet that will have about 2500 calories on gym days and 2000 on non gym days.

heres what ive come up for 7 meals:
1) corn flakes with milk/or 2 boiled eggs, gouda cheese/or bacon, apple, can of tuna
2) chocolate milk/powerade after workout (if its not a gym day then i eat the gouda cheese and dont eat it at breakfast)
3) chicken thighs about 200 grammars, tomato and cucumber salad
4) carrots, brocolli, cauliflower, and 2 cans of tuna
5) tuna and lettuce
6) banana
7) cottage cheese

add some olive oil that will be included every now and then, ill try to limit it a lot and its about 2500 cals i think

anyway what do you think? by the way where i live ive no idea what oatmeal is, i searched though in a site about bodybuilding in my language and they suggested something a lot(almost as much as people here suggest oatmeal) but said corn flakes is almost just as good. i also have no idea where to find fish oil since people mention that a lot too.

by the way the 4th meal could vary, ill try cooking different veggies, and sometimes stuff like beans, spinach etc.

now for working out, i read somewhere in an article here something about a 4 week working out plan as in
1st week) "normal" week where you use about 75% of your 1 rep max
2nd week) week where you have moderate amount of sets (3-5) and moderate amount of reps (8-10) and you try to keep your muscles flexed(is that the right word?) during the WHOLE exercise to increase lactose production and also to use muscles you dont normally use, making the exercises slowly (lasting 40-70 seconds) and having rest periods around 60-80 seconds. using about 60% of 1 rep max
3rd week) week where you have high amount of sets (5-8), low amount of reps (6-8), high rest intervals (90-120 seconds) and you go for about 85-90% of 1 rep max.
4th week) week where you have low amount of sets (2-4), high amount of reps (12-20), low rest intervals (30-45 seconds), going for about 40-45% of 1 rep max.

anyway what do you think about doing that while being on calorie deficit? im trying to keep or even grow muscle or increase strength(muscle or strength either will do, its progress anyway) while losing weight. i know i wont lose the weight as fast as i could if i kept going every week the same as the 4th week i described above, but like ive read tons of time here, its best to lift a lot.

as for my program i cant remember it, and i dont even know the words in english so the next time i go ill write it down.

get rid of the corn flakes

You need more food. Start with 3000 calories on gym days, 2500 on non gym days and stick with this for 2-3 2weeks, remeasure and make adjustments from there on. Worst case, you'll gain a little more LBM for a while. Cycle carbs.
Adjustments:
YOu need ~220gm protein a day, so for 6 meals, that works out to 35gm per meal.
Replace cornflakes with old fashioned oatmeal or all-bran, sugar-free, extra fiber cereal. Instead of milk, have a scoop of whey protein.

thanks for the replies

yes by corn flakes i meant what you said, all bran, sugar free, extra fiber cereal.

however ive no idea where to get whey, or oatmeal like i said.

i started with more calories for 2-3 weeks already haha which wasnt really intentional but anyway

by the way shouldnt i have bigger meals at the start of the day and become smaller later? or should they all be more or less the same so i get about the same protein amount every time?

breakfast should be your biggest meal

ok well here is my programm its for 3 days a week, usually monday, wednesday and friday or saturday

well im using a translator online, hopefully they are understandable

and it will be (sets*reps)

1st day)
30 minutes running
Chest:
Inclining pressure of bench with barbels 3*12
Peck-Deck 3*12
Chest press (upper grip) 3*(10-12)
Chest press (lower grip) 3*(10-12)

Biceps:
Bendings with barbels (hammers) 3*12 .. yeah for some reason they add hammers there??
Bendings with barbels and curve 3*(12-15)
Bendings in Biceps machine 3*12

Abs:
sit-ups 4*25(im never able to do all of them, usually im only able to do the first 2 sets full)
machine for abdominal sides 3*20(each side 3 times)
abdominal machine 4*(30-40)(uhh well you grab something above you and you basically pull it by bending your upper body .. imagine trying to touch the seat with your nose)

and then there is another machine which you do the opposite.. push it back. 3*12
at the end 15 minutes of bicycle

2nd day)
30 minutes running
shoulders:
shoulder press (outer grip) 3*12
shoulder press (inner grip) 2*12
shoulder pressures with barbells(hammers) 3*12
side extents with barbels (openings) 3*(12-15)
affixes with barbels 3*12(does that even make sense?)

legs:
machine for quadriceps extents 3*15
machine for biceps bendings 3*15

Abs:
sit-ups 4*25
abdominal machine 4*(30-40)
and then there is another machine which you do the opposite.. push it back. 3*12

3rd day)
30 minutes running
back:
pulley for the back, behind the neck 3*12
rowing , low height 3*12 (dunno what this is yet)
rowing machine (outer grip) 3*12
pull down machine 3*(10-12)

triceps:
pressures on the pulley 4*12
triceps extents with both hands 3*12
extends with pulley 4*12

Abs:
sit-ups 4*25
abdominal machine 4*(30-40)

anyway i went saturday and did the first day for very high (85% of 1 RM) week

this will be in sets*reps*weight in kgs... if its barbels, then it will be the weight of BOTH the barbels together

30 minutes running (ran i think 4 kms, with a 7.9 km/h average)
Chest:
Inclining pressure of bench with barbels 5*8*24
Peck-Deck 5*8*40
Chest press (upper grip) 5*6*35
Chest press (lower grip) 5*6*30

Biceps:
Bendings with barbels (hammers) 5*8*24
Bendings with barbels and curve 5*6*24
Bendings in Biceps machine 5*6*30

Abs:
sit-ups 2*25 then 2*15 or so
machine for abdominal sides 3*20*25(each side 3 times)
abdominal machine 4*40*30
and then there is another machine which you do the opposite.. push it back. 3*12*40
did only 5 minutes of bicycle

today i went for the 2nd day

30 minutes running (ran 4 kms with a 8.3 km/h average)
shoulders:
shoulder press (outer grip) 5*6*40
shoulder press (inner grip) 5*6*30
shoulder pressures with barbells(hammers) 5*8*24
side extents with barbels (openings) 5*8*16
affixes with barbels 5*8*16

legs:
machine for quadriceps extents 5*8*80
machine for biceps bendings 5*8*80

Abs:
sit-ups didnt really do sit ups haha cause people kept using the 2 benches
machine for abdominal sides 3*20*25(each side 3 times)

and then there is another machine which you do the opposite.. push it back. 3*12*35
10 minutes of bicycle with about 150 watts average

oh i also tried the leg press just to see how much i could do even if its not in my program..

i was able to do 230 kgs, probably 240 .. i couldnt do 260 and didnt try for 240 or 250 haha

260 is the maximum it can go though

I personally recommend starting with a well-connected TBT program like Cosgrove's afterburn or Craig Ballantyne's turbulence training. I feel TBT is better while trying to lose weight and improving conditioning.

I don;t see much use in using a split routine (most effective while adding mass imo) while cutting down. In any case, many who use splits BEGIN with a total body or push-pull split for a few months.

Also don;t limit yourself to the leg press. Start squatting and deadlifting as well (and even a few sets once in while on the hack squat machine) The deadlift is very useful in a cutting phase for maintaining muscle and o\verall strength levels.

thats the weird thing, they told me that i should start deadlifting, squat etc AFTER i finish losing weight.

btw ive never went to the gym before as in, i havent been bulking up for 2 years and now im cutting, ive just been fat and lazy for 19 years and now im trying to lose weight and then ill start bulking up.

so far though, in the month that ive done, ive both lost weight and im quite stronger... after all, how much weight im lifting in the exercises goes up almost every time.

Bendings.....lol

3rd day with ~85% of 1 RM

30 minutes running (about 8 km/h average)
back:
pulley for the back, behind the neck 5*6*55
rowing , low height 5*6*50
rowing machine (outer grip) 5*6*50
pull down machine 2*6*70(couldnt do more cause my left arm felt all weird)

triceps:
pressures on the pulley 5*8*30
triceps extents with both hands 5*8*20
extends with pulley 5*8*15(each hand)

Abs:
sit-ups 3*25+1*15
machine for abdominal sides 3*20*20
and then there is another machine which you do the opposite.. push it back. 3*12*35
10 minutes bicycle 180 watts average

Best feeling ever. Its like pushing yourself to do another rep. You can do it, and in the long run it will help.

I really like it when people post their progress reports, and you can see them progress (with progress pics), and not just see another person either post identical pictures as before and afters, or post a pic saying that they are starting. We're all starting, we just want to see people improving.

ah well i would take pics, but the best thing i got to a camera is my cell phone and i cant really take any pics except for my arms and they would still not show fully

oh and yeah i love it when i push myself to do another rep. hahhaha gives me a reason to yell (not all that loud) in front of the whole gym . its funny that out of all the people that go there(its like full at 7 p.m.) only about 10 of them or so seem serious, plus the instructors there, the rest go there like they are going for coffee

I've only seen one person at my gym (a Uni gym) who seems to know what hes doing. He, I guess, was doing a chest/triceps day like me, as he worked almost the same things as I did (dumbell press, dips, cable flys, I didn't do cable flys however), and it was like I was copying/following him as I got to the gym after him.

Most just go on the running machine (gotta love the hot chicks running/stretching though), and some are total assholes who do weights the wrong way. It is good however, as the idiots give me something to cheer me up and entertain me as I go to the gym on my own (my friend has yet to join the gym, but she workouts loads too, gotta love a woman who workouts out).

More progress, pictures too.

I think oatmeal is basically porridge I think (not sure if thats what you americans call it).

I, however, eat bran flakes. They should be easy to find in the supermarket.

1st day, high intensity 40% 1 RM week

30 minutes running (8.4 km/h average)
Chest:
Inclining pressure of bench with barbels 3*20*12
Peck-Deck 3*20*15
Chest press (upper grip) 3*15*20
Chest press (lower grip) 2*10*15

Biceps:
Bendings with barbels (hammers) 3*15*12
Bendings with barbels and curve 3*15*12
Bendings in Biceps machine 3*12*15

Abs:
sit-ups 1*25, 5*15 or so
machine for abdominal sides didnt do any
abdominal machine didnt do any
and then there is another machine which you do the opposite.. push it back. 3*12*40
didnt do bicycle

well i learn that when im going for high intesity i shouldnt start 20 minutes after finishing eating haha

and i got tired really fast, not sure why

I'm not sure what you mean by high intensity but 40% of 1 RM is not even weight training.

ditto.