Hi all - I’m experiencing a nagging shoulder issue and wanted to see if I could get some more specific advice then I’ve been able to get scouring the internet for the past week. My shoulder has always been a little “loose” - e.g., I can pull it a little out of the socket which I can’t do to the other one. It has never been too big of an issue, but now as I’ve gotten stronger and more dedicated to lifting, it’s becoming a problem.
FYI I’m doing starting strength and was about to move into something intermediate like texas method.
Symptom: deep pain in the rear shoulder just under the rear delt
Things that make it hurt:
- Bench press
- heavy overhead press (not as much and only when I do my 3x5 work weight)
- low bar squat - I think this is what started it. I used to low bar too low, but have since tightened up my form.
- internal rotation while reaching across chest, or with arms straight out to the side (parallel to floor)
What I hope will solve my problem:
- I’ve layed off heavy pressing (still doing light OHP, also tried dips and felt fine but a little sensation).
- Rotator cuff/upper back strengthening exercises: internal rotations, external rotations, face pulls
- Added back in barbell rows to even out my pulling vs pressing strength imbalance (so now I’m doing 3 day a week split alternating weighted chins and barbell rows).
Does this seem like a good plan of attack? Should I be doing any mobility work? Since the shoulder is loose, will mobility help or hurt?