Looking to Start Westside Routine

my lifts currently are
Bench: 220lb
Deadlift: 415lb
Squat: 320lb

Do you think westside would work for me? Some say westside is only for competitive PLer’s, but this program attracts me. Also, if i do it, how much do you think my lifts would increase in 3 months?

Westside is good for anyone looking to get stronger, I am sure it would work for you. There is no way to tell you how much stronger you will get. It all depends on what you put into your training, and if you are smart about putting your program together.

ttt

my lifts are comparable to yours , and I make progress using a conjugate template . my deads are whats moving the best right now .

is it the best program ? who knows…but one thing it isnt is boring .

I started out doing 3 a week (ME upper/ME lower/RE upper). tried going to 4/week last winter , and it didnt go well . severely crashed after about 6 weeks (IIRC) . took another shot at 4 a week (ME upper/DE lower/DE upper/ME lower) this past winter , with a focus on increased calories , and all is well since January . food for thought .

How often do you deload on this program? It seems like there are so many different things you can do with this program its hard to find a good starting plan. I have yet to find a good source of online information on this, many explain a lot but still leave me with too many questions.

I was thinking about doing it eventually too but currently on 5/3/1 and don’t want to stop just yet because I am still progressing.

I’m a huge fan of the program. That said, do you train with other powerlifters? Do you have a coach that’s good? Trying to do Westside on your own at a commercial gym is not a great idea. You need spotters if you’re going to max. You need someone helping you with technique. You need someone analyzing your misses to figure out what accessories will help you.

Our new people usually put 30-70 lbs on each lift in the first 3-4 months. That’s with coaching, a competitive environment, and all the equipment you could want to do the program.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
How often do you deload on this program? It seems like there are so many different things you can do with this program its hard to find a good starting plan. I have yet to find a good source of online information on this, many explain a lot but still leave me with too many questions.

I was thinking about doing it eventually too but currently on 5/3/1 and don’t want to stop just yet because I am still progressing.[/quote]

Deload every 4th week. Granted, that’s a really vague statement. Everyone deloads different. Some people just do sets of 5 and don’t max. Some only do accessories. Some people just pull the sled. It’s a rather individual thing.

[quote]Wild_Iron_Gym wrote:
I’m a huge fan of the program. That said, do you train with other powerlifters? Do you have a coach that’s good? Trying to do Westside on your own at a commercial gym is not a great idea. You need spotters if you’re going to max. You need someone helping you with technique. You need someone analyzing your misses to figure out what accessories will help you.

Our new people usually put 30-70 lbs on each lift in the first 3-4 months. That’s with coaching, a competitive environment, and all the equipment you could want to do the program.[/quote]

I agree with this . I train alone…at a YMCA . no bullshit rules to deal with , but not having a reliable/familar face spotting me can make a difference . I’ve figured out how to use bands and boards without partners(even though it’s not the best technique); and I usually know in advance when I need somebody present , so I’ve even adjusted my training time to coincide to somebody elses if absolutely necessary.

damn…30 to 70 pounds ? thats sweet

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

I was thinking about doing it eventually too but currently on 5/3/1 and don’t want to stop just yet because I am still progressing.[/quote]

I think the best way to get started is to buy a beginners training manual . EFS has one , as might WSB (not positive about the latter). read it thru a bunch of times and it all becomes clear . I think it best not to start with too many variations…maybe 3 bench variations , 2 squat variations , and a deadlift variation . dont get all caught up with the box/band/board combinations…unless its for a reason . with 3 upper and 3 lower variations , you would get thru your list in 3 cycles ( about 12 weeks) . then go thru the same list again , hopefully hitting PRs along the way . the key is to not be adding in too much new shit at one time .

there’s plenty of guys around here with much better lifts , so listen to them if any chime in about programming . my words are from the perspective of a sub-par lifter only . Meat describes shit in a very simple, sensical manner . and this Wild Iron fella seems to have know his shit too . both always seem to be willing to help .

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

Deload every 4th week. Granted, that’s a really vague statement. Everyone deloads different. Some people just do sets of 5 and don’t max. Some only do accessories. Some people just pull the sled. It’s a rather individual thing.
[/quote]

any thoughts on deloads as they pertain to lighter lifters vs. heavier lifters ?

[quote]marlboroman wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

[/quote]

any thoughts on deloads as they pertain to lighter lifters vs. heavier lifters ?

[/quote]

I think it’s more a function of GPP and if you’re raw, single or multi-ply. The worse your GPP the worse your recovery will be. The more gear you wear the more it’ll beat you up overall. Your joints and CNS will need the break.