Looking to Start Lifting Seriously

Hello,

I’ve been lifting weights for a few years, on and off, but I wasn’t doing much (or any) cardio, and wasn’t paying attention to my diet. I want to change all that now, I’m 20yo, 180lbs, and 6’ high.

I have a bit more fat on me than I want, so I figured I’d start with that. I started eating right a few months ago and I can see results, which makes me want to go into a strict diet. I took one of those calculators and came up with:

Calories Protein Fat Carbs Fiber Sodium
2,065.1 182.0 61.8 188.0 21.5 2,298.8
% of Calories: 36% 27% 37%

Oil, Olive [Star]
1 tbsp
2 servings: 240.0 0.0 28.0 0.0 N 0.0
Fish, Tuna, steaks, raw [Volcano]
4 oz=112 g
3 servings: 309.0 54.0 3.0 0.0 0.0 87.0
Rice, Brown, Long Grain, cooked
1 cup=237 ml or 6.9 oz=195 g
216.5 5.0 1.8 44.8 3.5 9.8
Chicken, breast, meat only, fried
1/2 breast, 3 oz=86 g
2 servings: 321.6 57.6 8.2 8.8 0.0 135.8
Eggs, Chicken, white only, raw
1 large, 1.2 oz=33 g
8 servings: 137.6 28.8 0.8 1.6 0.0 438.4
Bread, Wheat, 100% Whole [Oroweat]
2 slices, 1.6 oz=45 g
6 servings: 660.0 24.0 6.0 132.0 18.0 1,440.0
Eggs, Chicken, fried
1 large, 1.6 oz=46 g
2 servings: 180.4 12.6 14.0 0.8 0.0 187.8

needs some tweaking, veggies and fruits I eat while in the army, and I doubt I’ll eat 12 slices of bread every day. But I like the numbers. I also need help dividing that into 6ish meals.

My next issue is the actual workout. I’ve been reading the great articles but am having a hard time picking the one which is right for me. My goal right now is to go down to about 165lbs while maintaining my muscle. Then to start bulking.

My last problem is the fact that I never really trained “in English”, so I’m not sure about the exercises that are listed, but I guess that some googling will help me with that.

So, what I’m looking for is a little bit of help with my workout program. If any other info is required I’d be happy to give it :slight_smile:

Edit:

I’ve been reading some more and found the Velocity Diet. It does seem rather extreme, but on the other hand it looks like just what I need. I’d still like some helpful comments if possible :slight_smile:

[quote]Mosho wrote:
needs some tweaking, veggies and fruits I eat while in the army, and I doubt I’ll eat 12 slices of bread every day. But I like the numbers. I also need help dividing that into 6ish meals.[/quote]

Grains are never preferred over vegetables. 12 slices of bread is way to much.

[quote]Mosho wrote:
My last problem is the fact that I never really trained “in English”, so I’m not sure about the exercises that are listed, but I guess that some googling will help me with that.
[/quote]

Try this site for exercises: ExRx.net : Weight Training

Thanks for your reply and your helpful link :slight_smile:

Another thing I’d like to know is which supplements if any at all should I use?

Edit: I like The Shut Up and Train program… So I think I would go for that, but I still could use some info about nutrition and that velocity diet.

Uhh, I was hoping to get a bit more replies ;< but I guess I’ll manage :slight_smile:

I’ve decided on the “Lactic Acid Training for Fat Loss” to loss the fats, then the HSS-100. Still unsure about diet.

Seriously…starting out, do a search for TBT training program. It’s a good program and not too demanding so you’re probably not going to overtrain as long as you follow it.

After that, I’d suggest a push/pull split…but the TBT should get you going, and pack on some meat as long as your diet’s in shape…sometimes it’s too easy when you’re doing other splits to lose focus and start overtraining one thing or undertraining another. Listen to your body and you’ll know where you want to go.

Other than that, maybe 2-3 times a week on your off days, look at HIIT for cutting the fat. Just remember eat clean but not too clean…don’t be afraid to pack down some calories.

As for diet, I’d say the number one most important thing is to keep your calories up…your body will naturally switch to a metabolizing machine with frequent meals and all the exercise. I’ve never been a calorie counter, when I’m hungry I eat. I shoot for 200-250 grams of protein a day and 3000 to 3500 calories.

One could easily go with 4000 to 5000 if your stomach can handle that, mine personally can’t.

Good luck, hope that helps.

Thanks alot for the reply :slight_smile:

As for HIIT, I really don’t like running, so I thought about looking into alternatives… Plus I want to first look better at the moment, then bulk up, I think. I am well aware that I need calories to grow, but how am I going to lose the fat if I eat alot, even with HIIT? I often read that is not possible.

“I am well aware that I need calories to grow, but how am I going to lose the fat if I eat alot, even with HIIT?”

Eating more on a frequent basis (6 times a day) will speed up your metabolism. Make sure you’re eating cleanly. That will minimize the fat gain. Keep your calories slightly (500 cal) less than maintenance to lose, slightly higher to gain.

First, find out what your maintenance is by eating on a frequent basis and eating cleanly. The actual number of calories doesn’t really matter so don’t get caught up in the numbers. HIIT burns calories even after you stop exercising.

Stu

I see… So you guys think that HIIT is better than less conventional fat loss techniques?

Edit: I’ve just read this “Real Fast Fat Loss” http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1589833

Would that be a good program to follow?

That would do it. Pay attention to the rest times. They’re important.

Great thanks alot :smiley:

Just one more thing I would like to know, I want to use quality supplements to help me achieve my protein mark, and maybe some others that will help me. There’s a HUGE selection, and I don’t know what to pick… I see the store here ships internationally, so I’d like some stuff from there. Thought about Flameout, HOT-ROX Extreme, and BCAA, and maybe Surge Recovery or Metabolic Drive Super Protein Shake.

As far as supplements, I can’t help you out, I only take whey protein, a good multi, ZMA, and now fish oils…wow I guess that’s a lot huh?

Anyway, you say you don’t like running…neither do I. I usually will do this with swimming or jumping rope. Both I think incorporate more muscles, so they end up burning more calories than running, and easier on the joints too…plus, you can jump rope anywhere.

As for the losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time, it’s done every day, especially for the folks that are relatively new to the game. It’s not uncommon to gain 10 pounds in the first couple months and lose a good bit of fat as well.

Your body is going to go through some serious changes…As long as you’re lifting right, eating frequently, getting enough rest, and getting enough calories, it’s going to be shifting into a fat-burning, muscle-building machine.

Aw. really? It looked like a good one to me :X Care to elaborate?

No I don’t want to elaborate. This site is in the business of selling supplements so my opinion doesn’t matter anyway.

Stu

Hey, me again :smiley:

I have a slight problem with the RFFL program. What exactly are crunches and the prone plank in “hold the prone plank for 30s, followed immediately by 30s of reverse crunches, followed immediately by 30s of Swiss Ball crunches.”?

And my form is really bad in some of the excercises but I don’t want to use less effective light weights :X

You should do a google search for the exercises you are not familiar with. You can also check this site that we’re on or http://www.exrx.net/

Stu

If you’re looking for something to help you reach your protein goals, go with the one with only protein, like Whey protein, I think it’s Metabolic Drive.

Starting out, I really don’t know why you’d need to get advanced pills and protein shakes. I’m saying that because your body will still grow without them. I see extra supplements as “icing on the cake”
Although I’ve heard great things about Fish Oil so getting some can’t hurt

Thanks Stu, and Chris you are pretty correct, but the thing is that I’m tired of eggs, which are expensive, and would like something else to chew for protein, plus I hear some of the stuff is tasty even.

The HOT-ROX says 5 times faster fat loss, which is somethihng I need right now, though it sounds exaggerated. The BCAA I really dunno anything about 'em, but everyone seems to include them in their diet so I thought I’d go with the flow :slight_smile: