T Nation

Looking to Start a New Supplement

I am 160lb, been bodybuilding for about 10-11 months now. I am taking additional protein, L-glutamine pills, fish oil, a multivitamin and creatine right now. It has been a month or so since I started taking creatine and I am liking the gains. However, taking Brady Quinn’s advice, I would like to move on to a new supplement and evaluate its gains after 4-6 weeks.

I’m looking for a supp to help with muscle growth and I’m wondering your success or fail evaluations with any of the above products or any others for muscle growth.

If you’re just going to suggest I don’t take another supp, an explanation would be great, and I will definitely take it to heart.

Thanks a ton in advance.

What kind of protein are you supplementing PWO? If you aren’t using it already I recommend Surge. Look into to it. Also, try supplementing with BCAA’s. The truth is though, your not going to grow unless your nutrition is where it needs to be. If you’ve stalled, up your calories.

Yes, if nutrition is dialed in Surge and BCAA’s around training are ideal for stimulating recovery and muscle growth.

D

taking Brady Quinn’s advice? lol

Like mentioned though, I’d go for Surge. Beyond any explanation, read the article about it in the store, as well as some of Berardi’s articles “Solving the PWO puzzle” IIRC

Who is Brady Quinn?

[quote]Envision wrote:
Who is Brady Quinn?[/quote]

not a football fan huh?

He’s the spokesman for EAS too I believe.

Browns QB

Don’t really follow sports other than soccer really.

Brady Quinn says your workout isn’t done till you chug an EAS shake.

Whey, BCAA, ZMA and something thermogenic.

Right now I am on BCAA’s and I did feel my workouts and results got better after I started taking them. I alternate between different kinds of whey proteins, both include good amounts of BCAAs as well and have around 55g in two scoops. My post workout shakes have glutamine, 10 g creatine and a 3:1 ratio of carb to protein. i have never tried Surge but have considered it in the past.

and also Brady Quinn is just a really buff football player who said that supplement advice in an article once. just kind of a joke.

what do you guys think about stacking beta-alanine with creatine? my main goal being muscle gain.

[quote]Quinnthology wrote:
what do you guys think about stacking beta-alanine with creatine? my main goal being muscle gain.[/quote]

That’s more of a performance stack rather than a mass stack, although creatine can give you mass through water retention.

[quote]2274 wrote:
Whey, BCAA, ZMA and something thermogenic.[/quote]

Why in the world would you recommend a 160lbs lifter a thermogenic? To the OP you seem to have everything in order supplement wise and your PWO protocol seems pretty good. If you really wanted to try another supplement I’d say go for the beta-alanine, good stuff.

But in all honesty I think you should just save your money keep training and eating hard and avoid taking to many supplements for now.

Spend your money on top sirloin :slight_smile:

yeah right now i dont think i need a thermogenic, i have no desire to lose any fat. i am at 6% body fat right now and am only concerned with putting on pounds.

the beta-alanine sounds like a good idea if it will get me more failure reps, because a lot of my workout is to failure. i might try that with creatine, it’s only $14 for 100 g so if i dont like it i can ditch it.

lastly, i minorly hyperextended my arm the other night doing some grappling with a friend and now i’m sh!+ out of luck for at least a week. i’m absolutely dying to lift but i cant even do bodyweight exercises for now. i’ve gone on a few bike rides and plan to lift legs, but other than that i’m stuck. any advice besides wait it out? :slight_smile:

How do these workout day stacks look, remembering that my goal is to bulk up:

Pre-Workout Stack
1 scoop Protein + 5g creatine + 3-4g beta alanine + 5-10g BCAA
23g protein

Post-Workout Stack
3 scoops Weight Gainer + 10g creatine + 1.5g beta-alanine + 5-10g BCAA
~850 calories, 140 g carb, 45g prot

any recommendations for changes?

IS X-factor from molecular nutrition still around?

I had great results with that, put on loads of weight.

Im sure i read somewhere that it was getting banned though, it was based around Arachadonic acid, so you could see if you can find anything like that.

Oh and weight gainers post workout arnt so great as the Maltodextrin in them is slow digesting and PWO your body will want simple fast absorbing carbs like Dextrose.

[quote]Possumwee wrote:
Oh and weight gainers post workout arnt so great as the Maltodextrin in them is slow digesting and PWO your body will want simple fast absorbing carbs like Dextrose.[/quote]

You might want to learn more before posting.

Maltodextrin, like dextrose, is a very fast digesting carbohydrate.

The only time I’d use either of these is PWO.

[quote]ratm88 wrote:
2274 wrote:
Whey, BCAA, ZMA and something thermogenic.

Why in the world would you recommend a 160lbs lifter a thermogenic? To the OP you seem to have everything in order supplement wise and your PWO protocol seems pretty good. If you really wanted to try another supplement I’d say go for the beta-alanine, good stuff.

But in all honesty I think you should just save your money keep training and eating hard and avoid taking to many supplements for now.

Spend your money on top sirloin :)[/quote]

Personally, I might buy thermogenic stuff as well even at 150. I’m not doing it for the fat loss but for the energy boost and mental stimulation it gives. I’ve also read that stacking thermogenics with a massive diet allows you to gain lots of mass without gaining much fat.

[quote]Quinnthology wrote:
I am 160lb, been bodybuilding for about 10-11 months now.
[/quote]

If that’s really how long you’ve been bodybuilding, leave the supps in the store. Use that money to load your fridge with chicken, turkey, fish, veggies etc. I know it sounds unconventional. No supplement will do for you what whole food will. We can debate this until the cows come home, but I’ve been in the mall and seen guys in GNC that look like they’re barely eating and yet they go but supps? if you’re not gaining what you want, pound down more whole, clean food. I’m sure this will be met with resistance but so be it. I don’t claim to know everything, but I’m right on this one- FOOD FIRST.

You’re definitely right. People just want to buy something and get huge quick…but yet they eat 2000 calories of shit food.