Looking to Speed Up Fat Loss

As of 5/20/07:
5’9"
183lbs home scale;188 gym scale
~42.25 inch waist
~13.75 inch arms
feel like shit

I’ve renewed my long dead Bally’s membership($96 for one year!) and been working out the past couple weeks doing circuit training and lots of cardio. Lost a couple pounds but want to speed it up. Calories are fairly low…usually around 2,000 or less. Lean beef, whole wheat and vegetables for the most part. Keeping an eye on the carbs/sugars.

Look in my profile where I just posted some pics of myself today.

OK what are you looking for from all of us there seems to be no ?

Nail a solid diet and training and be consistent. I suggest reading the beginner thread above and the linked articles and THEN come back with ?'s

Phill

I won’t blow sun shine up your ass, you do look like shit but do not fear! Get fired up because you can fix this. You need a diet plan! Get a scale to weigh your food and a book on calories. Blindly eating and working out will just lead to frustration.

This makes it so much easier to lose fat and lose it fast. I would recommend the Anabolic Diet by Dr.Mauro DiPasquale, but there are other plans that work well.

[quote]Hagar wrote:
I won’t blow sun shine up your ass, you do look like shit but do not fear! Get fired up because you can fix this. You need a diet plan! Get a scale to weigh your food and a book on calories. Blindly eating and working out will just lead to frustration.

This makes it so much easier to lose fat and lose it fast. I would recommend the Anabolic Diet by Dr.Mauro DiPasquale, but there are other plans that work well. [/quote]

Thanks…I was looking for confirmation on how bad I look. I guess I’ve sort of lost touch and let things get way out of hand because when I look in the mirror I don’t really see myself as so fat, but man these web cam pics I took of myself are really eye opening and so is the tape measure around my waist.

Yep, bought a food scale already and been playing with it. I think I need a small pocket calculator and spiral notepad to carry around with me too to make things easier.
I’ll look into the Anabolic diet. Keep the insults coming.

Hey man I am also a fattie after wasting way to much time on video games. My waist is 38 when it used to be 34, I notice it most in pictures too. Just wanted to say there is hope, keep eating well, kick your own ass in the gym, and get what you want. Stay focused even when you feel like your spinning your wheels, it’s a long road out of hell. Good luck Get Stoked

One good option would be to do The Velocity Diet for 4 weeks, then invest in either John Berardi’s Precision Nutrition or Mike Rousell’s Naked Nutrition guide (or both).

Commit to changing your lifestyle.

New to T-Nation?
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=817951

Are You A Beginner?
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640350

Advice From Vets for Young Bucks
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1368968

Read articles from John Berardi the “doc” about nutrition.

Read carb cycling codex by Christian Thibaudeau

Speed up fat loss ~

1. Time to fix your nutrition.
    Sample : 6 meals a day, not including snacks tunafish sandwiches and other smaller portions thrown between things.
    Notes : your metabolism is probably crap.

Notes1b : if you just focused on losing fat you’d have issues with having excess skin… So do not focus on just losing fat.

Notes1c : Recommend you work on building muscle, and throwing in 3-5 days of cardio 5-20 min sessions until your body starts throwing on muscle and your body gets used to strenuous exercise

1. Muscle : judging from your pics, your weight, and the info you have given, adding 20-30lbs of muscle will help a lot.
    Notes : Why do I recommend adding muscle, because overtime the muscle will melt the fat off and you won’t have excess skin issues, plus you will give your body time to adjust.

2. Cardio : Do as much cardio as you can and don’t be demoralized if you can’t do too much.
    Suggestion : try to take things at your own forced pace.
    Your first 1-2 cardio workouts a week should be running.

*** run as long as you can, then walk when your body hurts too much, or your out of breathe, walk until you are bored of walking or feel good to go : then have at it again, do this run/walk for 1-2 hours

*** when your shins start hurting stop running and switch to the cycle, elliptical, or jabs and punches for an hour on a heavy bag, make sure to shuffle around the bag and just keep throwing punches and jabs to incorporate more of your body into the workout, generally when you start getting shin splints you’ll want to cool off running or jumpropes ( eventually ) for 3-5 days overtime you’ll suffer less and less from shinsplints.

You already are willing to admit you are a walking health risk, now you just have to really commit to your new lifestyle.

Oh one more thing if you keep a updated log on your workouts I think people can give you better help.

Other suggestions : food log along with that workout log.

[quote]fat scottie wrote:
Thanks…I was looking for confirmation on how bad I look. I guess I’ve sort of lost touch and let things get way out of hand because when I look in the mirror I don’t really see myself as so fat, but man these web cam pics I took of myself are really eye opening and so is the tape measure around my waist.

Yep, bought a food scale already and been playing with it. I think I need a small pocket calculator and spiral notepad to carry around with me too to make things easier.
I’ll look into the Anabolic diet. Keep the insults coming.

[/quote]

I was in the same boat as you. I didn’t conciously make a decision to loose weight, but I decided at the beginning of last summer to start eating better. I didn’t count calories, and I didn’t work out at all.

I did have a very active job with 30-40 hours a week (grocery store clerk, I was 20 then, 21 now). I lost about 30 pounds–235 or 240 down to 200ish. When I came back to school in the Fall I started lifting, and 10 more pounds of fat disappeared.

I was the worst kind of fatty–the fatty in denial. I didn’t realize I was fat, I didn’t think I was. The point is that you have a distinct advantage with this place.

Use the resource wisely: train hard and eat right. I used full body workouts 3x a week, and still do. It works well with my schedule and my body. Find what works well for you, and always strive to improve. Maybe focus on a load progression for now? Don’t be afraid to eat–clean eating takes a lot of food to get even 2000 calories.

ALSO: remember that you get to date cuter ladies when you’re in better shape (if you’re into that or aren’t married). I certainly date a cuter woman now. It’s good motivation.