T Nation

Looking to Reach 10%

Hey guys,

I'm currently at 6'6"/236lbs. Roughly 14% body fat, looking to reach 10%. The number one problem with me is, I've never kept track of my calories. My diet has always been pretty well balanced, but I feel at times I'm not getting enough calories and it has been affecting my results.

So if I want to get to 10-12%, where is a good place to start? How can I keep track of my calories/macros easily? I could layout my current meal plan for those of you that are curious. Any advice would be awesome guys!

Thanks!!

[quote]Aches89 wrote:
Hey guys,

I’m currently at 6’6"/236lbs. Roughly 14% body fat, looking to reach 10%. The number one problem with me is, I’ve never kept track of my calories. My diet has always been pretty well balanced, but I feel at times I’m not getting enough calories and it has been affecting my results.

So if I want to get to 10-12%, where is a good place to start? How can I keep track of my calories/macros easily? I could layout my current meal plan for those of you that are curious. Any advice would be awesome guys!

Thanks!![/quote]

I like to use the app on www.fitday.com to track macros and calories. I’ve always liked a 33%, 33%, 33% of my calories being evenly distributed among protein, fat and carbs and putting myself in a 250-500 kcal/day deficit. You hopefully already know that there’s 9 kcal per 1 gram of fat and 4 per carbs and protein.

I’d go for 200g protein, 150g of carbs, let the fats take care of themselves.

[quote]Yogi wrote:
I’d go for 200g protein, 150g of carbs, let the fats take care of themselves.[/quote]
Even with 100 grams of fat, that would amount to 2300 cals which seems a bit low for sb his size, don’t you think? Unless you mean high(er) fat of course

I’d say 200 pro 225 cho and 100 fats but of course there are so many variables at play… You might want go gluten dairy free for best results.

[quote]juverulez wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
I’d go for 200g protein, 150g of carbs, let the fats take care of themselves.[/quote]
Even with 100 grams of fat, that would amount to 2300 cals which seems a bit low for sb his size, don’t you think? Unless you mean high(er) fat of course

I’d say 200 pro 225 cho and 100 fats but of course there are so many variables at play… You might want go gluten dairy free for best results. [/quote]

I wouldn’t have HIGH fat but yeah I’d be eating a lot of eggs, avocados, etc.

I personally think that if you are trying to get to 10% you can get away with just setting protein and carb targets and not have to count grams of fat (providing obviously that you’re eating plenty). If you’re trying to get mega shredded it’s a different story.

As long as protein’s kept high I don’t think there’d be a problem with such low calories

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]juverulez wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

I’d say 200 pro 225 cho and 100 fats but of course there are so many variables at play… You might want go gluten dairy free for best results. [/quote]

I personally think that if you are trying to get to 10% you can get away with just setting protein and carb targets and not have to count grams of fat (providing obviously that you’re eating plenty). If you’re trying to get mega shredded it’s a different story.

As long as protein’s kept high I don’t think there’d be a problem with such low calories[/quote]

Cool. Now I just need to start counting my calories and following a meal plan. For the most part, I’m eating clean sources of protein, carbs and fats. Sometimes I wish I could just follow a plan someone could lay out for me… But I understand getting my lazy ass to start counting… Haha

If you don’t know what you’re currently doing (nutrtion and training wise), and if it’s maintaining your stats, lowering them, raising them etc, then you have no starting point to gauge adjustments.

My first suggestion would be to put actual figures to your most up to take plans.

S

Train daily, resistance training 3-4+ times per week
Don’t overfeed yourself (ie don’t go until completely full, just satisfied)
Processed food no more than once per week
Stay away from drinks with calories (coffee, green tea, workout shakes (at workout times) exempt)
Protein and vegetables at each meal
Don’t skip meals
Sleep 7+ hours per day, keep stress under control

That’s the best I can do without counting calories/macros.

[quote]Aches89 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]juverulez wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

As long as protein’s kept high I don’t think there’d be a problem with such low calories[/quote]

Cool. Now I just need to start counting my calories and following a meal plan. For the most part, I’m eating clean sources of protein, carbs and fats. Sometimes I wish I could just follow a plan someone could lay out for me… But I understand getting my lazy ass to start counting… Haha
[/quote]

keep it simple, man. I liked some advice from Chad Waterbury where he said that if you want to lose weight just eat lean protein, cruciferous veg and a bit of avocado at every meal.

If you did that with a carby cheat meal once I week you’d hit 10% in no time

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Aches89 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]juverulez wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[/quote]

keep it simple, man. I liked some advice from Chad Waterbury where he said that if you want to lose weight just eat lean protein, cruciferous veg and a bit of avocado at every meal.

[/quote]

I like how you think! Haha, but also, just to be sure I am getting enough calories, I should count them up. Once I have a good idea of how much I am taking in daily, I will just go from there and not drive myself insane counting every calorie daily.

[quote]Aches89 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Aches89 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]juverulez wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I like how you think! Haha, but also, just to be sure I am getting enough calories, I should count them up. Once I have a good idea of how much I am taking in daily, I will just go from there and not drive myself insane counting every calorie daily.
[/quote]

oh yeah, nothing wrong with counting calories to see where you’re at.